Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

200 grain at 1.135 oal powders

Derek1967

Newbie reloading limited understanding so far:

Heavier bullets with faster powders = less felt recoil

Loading these longer OAL increases case capacity = reduced pressures = allowing for even faster powders

If you wanted to stay @ 1.135 OAL would you still choose 200 grain?

If you chose 200 grain @ 1.135 what powders would be on your short list?

When I had to load short I shot 180s with WSF out of my G24. Very safe and pretty soft.

Will your chamber accept 200s loaded that short? The 200s would seat very far into the case, and the case walls tend to get thicker as you approach the rim. In my last 2011 200s loaded at 1.16 or shorter wouldn't chamber due to the case diameter at the base of the bullet.

I just got done loading some 200gr RN S&S coated 1.155" using True Blue @ 5.8gr. The book says to go shorter but I'm loading a little longer. I would like to go a bit longer but the mags for my XDM won't allow me to go past 1.180". Book says I should be running right around 860 which gets a power factor of 172. Not even close to case capacity with the True Blue.

When I had to load short I shot 180s with WSF out of my G24. Very safe and pretty soft.

Will your chamber accept 200s loaded that short? The 200s would seat very far into the case, and the case walls tend to get thicker as you approach the rim. In my last 2011 200s loaded at 1.16 or shorter wouldn't chamber due to the case diameter at the base of the bullet.

Thanks, good to know before I buy thousands at a time. Lol

I just got done loading some 200gr RN S&S coated 1.155" using True Blue @ 5.8gr. The book says to go shorter but I'm loading a little longer. I would like to go a bit longer but the mags for my XDM won't allow me to go past 1.180". Book says I should be running right around 860 which gets a power factor of 172. Not even close to case capacity with the True Blue.

Thats where the issue lies, the gun I am thinking about buying, feeds great from the mags at 1.135-1.140 max. Maybe get some 200's and some 180's and play with OAL.

What are you loading for? Its perfectly possible that your chamber may take a 200 loaded that short. With the 180s my G24 seemed to take an eternity and a half to cycle, so I had no interest in the 200s.

Personally, I've moved between the 165s, 180s, and 200s, and there is more to a good load than "soft". I'm probably headed back to the 165s for major- currently experimenting with 180s. At the end of the day it depends on what you like. 180s would give you more flexibility with powders than 200s at that oal.

What are you loading for? Its perfectly possible that your chamber may take a 200 loaded that short. With the 180s my G24 seemed to take an eternity and a half to cycle, so I had no interest in the 200s.

Personally, I've moved between the 165s, 180s, and 200s, and there is more to a good load than "soft". I'm probably headed back to the 165s for major- currently experimenting with 180s. At the end of the day it depends on what you like. 180s would give you more flexibility with powders than 200s at that oal.

Loading for 165 PF. I am starting to see what you are saying about the 180's. Gonna have to try em both n' see.

I'm using Red Dot and Bullseye. Both have loads listed in the older Alliant manuals and I'm making just about right at major at 1.135OAL a half a grain under max with both powders in a Glock 22.

For the 200 grain bullets, what was the powder charge weight using WSF? Has anyone used WSF at the 180 grain level and had much success?

Using X-Treme 180 plated loaded to 1.150-1.155 COl I needed ...

- 5.6 gr in my Kart barreled Kimiber 1911 for 973fps (175PF)

- 5.8 gr in my stock barreled M&P Pro for 945fps (170PF)

- 6.0 gr in my Kart barreled 2011 for 959fps (173PF)

I measured 9 shot strings in the 1911 and 18-20 shot strings in the M&P and 2011. SD's ranged from 16 fps to 41 fps. Bottom line, start low and work up as there can be a lot of variation gun-to-gun / barrel-to-barrel.

I've been testing some ETR-7 from Expansion Industries. Same bullet, same gun, same COL 5.1gr ETR-7 got me PF's from 167-172 with SD from 9 fps to 17 fps.

Both were low to no smoke and left the guns free of grit and major fouling.

I don't have much experience with .40 but they feel bad. They are more flippy than my 9mm loads but they don't bring the front sight off target. I'm loading at the lowest end of the True Blue range and the numbers say that I will still make major. I really don't see how pushing a 165gr at a bit over 1000fps will lead to a softer shooting load than a 200gr running 860fps.

I don't have much experience with .40 but they feel bad. They are more flippy than my 9mm loads but they don't bring the front sight off target. I'm loading at the lowest end of the True Blue range and the numbers say that I will still make major. I really don't see how pushing a 165gr at a bit over 1000fps will lead to a softer shooting load than a 200gr running 860fps.

You don't go 165s because you want soft. 165s get the slide moving quicker and some people dig that.

If you are going to shoot 200s, pick a powder to take advantage of the weight. My major loads for 200s are 3.5-3.8 GRS of powder. 5.8 GRS of powder is kind of counter productive, as you will have more gas, more blast, and more felt recoil at a given power factor. Also, you should chrono, as book loads are often not very close to the truth.

All that said, if there is a book load for short oal 200s that takes WSF and makes major, I'd start there and adjust after chrono.

• 2 weeks later...

For the 200 grain bullets, what was the powder charge weight using WSF? Has anyone used WSF at the 180 grain level and had much success?

Using X-Treme 180 plated loaded to 1.150-1.155 COl I needed ...

- 5.6 gr in my Kart barreled Kimiber 1911 for 973fps (175PF)

- 5.8 gr in my stock barreled M&P Pro for 945fps (170PF)

- 6.0 gr in my Kart barreled 2011 for 959fps (173PF)

I measured 9 shot strings in the 1911 and 18-20 shot strings in the M&P and 2011. SD's ranged from 16 fps to 41 fps. Bottom line, start low and work up as there can be a lot of variation gun-to-gun / barrel-to-barrel.

I've been testing some ETR-7 from Expansion Industries. Same bullet, same gun, same COL 5.1gr ETR-7 got me PF's from 167-172 with SD from 9 fps to 17 fps.

Both were low to no smoke and left the guns free of grit and major fouling.

Is it just my imagination or have you noticed ETR7 being very soft shooting? I would almost say it is softer than N320 even at a higher charge but I can't make that work in my mind even though I feel it in my hands. I would be interested in other opinions on this, I know it's as clean and temperature stable, meters great too.