Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recoil spring for an Edge

Sporky

I wondering what wight and brand of recoil spring you guys use on your edge or edge pattern 2011?

I am shooting 40 major if that helps. I am thinking that even when I rack the slide, it seems a bit stiff. I have just over 1000 rounds through it and I don't know if that makes a difference or not.

Thanks in advance

Nice! Thanks to those who replied!

Are you also replacing the firing pin spring as well?

I buy Wolff reduced power 12 lb recoil springs. Replace them every other month (5000 rds)

The package comes with a firing pin spring so I replace it for the hell of it, don't know that it is necessary.

Shooting leatherhead 180's at 172 PF with ETR-7

Not sure what the firing pin spring has to do with the recoil spring... If anything, the mainspring might affect your recoil a bit as the slide cocks the hammer...

I use a 12.5 in a tri-topped, lightened slide..

there is also a good youtube video out there by Nic Taylor (spelling?) on tuning your 2011 recoil spring.

Not sure what the firing pin spring has to do with the recoil spring... If anything, the mainspring might affect your recoil a bit as the slide cocks the hammer...

there is also a good youtube video out there by Nic Taylor (spelling?) on tuning your 2011 recoil spring.

Yeah I hear ya but I figure Wolff knows more about springs than I do, and they wouldn't give away random stuff for no reason so I put it in.

Sorry i'm new to the 2011 so I have to ask all the noob quesitons.

Yeah I am thinking that when the slide cocks the hammer, that is a pretty stiff resistance for sure. SO.....should I do all of those things at once, or should I do one at a time and test each seperatly?

Yep I have seen that youtube video about a million times already! Good stuff!

You guys are awesome thanks!

Test one at a time?

I use a 17# mainspring btw.. some people go down to 15#.

I know a single stack shooter who prefers a heavy mainspring (21# ?) and a really light recoil spring.. less force on forward movement of slide... I would think that one might run into feeding problems with too light of a recoil spring.. I guess it is all about what feels best for you and works reliably(obviously)

Yeah I am thinking that when the slide cocks the hammer, that is a pretty stiff resistance for sure. SO.....should I do all of those things at once, or should I do one at a time and test each seperatly?

Yep there are a lot of variables and each thing you change effects others. There is a lot to learn.

For what it's worth amigo here is a starting point for a stock edge, not lightened, shooting 180 gn major ammo at a nominal 170 PF.

12 lb Wolff reduced power recoil spring

17 lb main spring ( hammer spring )

Standard firing pin spring

This is a very common set up for an edge pattern gun

Change the recoil spring every few thousand rounds

If you have any issues with light strikes, after you have ruled out hi primers/ bent or burged firing pin consider an extended firing pin such as Dawson's or limcat xl.

Hopefully this can give you a starting point, learn from here and enjoy yourself

Yep there are a lot of variables and each thing you change effects others. There is a lot to learn.

For what it's worth amigo here is a starting point for a stock edge, not lightened, shooting 180 gn major ammo at a nominal 170 PF.

If you have any issues with light strikes, after you have ruled out hi primers/ bent or burged firing pin consider an extended firing pin such as Dawson's or limcat xl.

Hopefully this can give you a starting point, learn from here and enjoy yourself

Done deal....I am ordering the recoil spring now. I don't know what the stock mainspring is.....so do you think I should get one with that exact weight?

You Guys Rock!

Not a hundred percent sure, but I think the firing pin spring that Wolff sends with the recoil springs is the extra power ones that they recommend. Since most of these 2011 and lots of 1911 are series 70 guns with out the firing pin block the extra power springs give you a little more inertia protection if you drop the gun muzzle down.

(But I have been known to be wrong, just ask my wife. :roflol: )

Edited by shotgunone

Not a hundred percent sure, but I think the firing pin spring that Wolff sends with the recoil springs is the extra power ones that they recommend. Since most of these 2011 and lots of 1911 are series 70 guns with out the firing pin block the extra power springs give you a little more inertia protection if you drop the gun muzzle down.

(But I have been known to be wrong, just ask my wife. :roflol: )

That IS the reason for going to an XP Firing Pin Spring, but the reason why they include one with every recoil spring (instead of just selling them separately) is that the procedure espoused by Bill Wilson, Ed Brown, Richard Hienie, et. al., is to replace both the recoil spring and firing pin spring at a 5,000 round interval. Since they're both "due" at the same time, it makes sense to package them together.

Done deal....I am ordering the recoil spring now. I don't know what the stock mainspring is.....so do you think I should get one with that exact weight?

You Guys Rock!

The weight of the mainspring does have an effect on recoil impulse as does the shape of the bevel on the firing pin stop.

I do not recall the OEM spring weight, I know the 17 is lighter than stock. To answer your question, yes, I believe the 17 is a good way to go.

I ordered some wolf 12lb springs yesterday so we will see how it goes....I will report back with how it feels.

I was looking for the weight of the stock STI Edge mainspring yesterday but I didn't come up with much.....I will try it with just the recoil spring and see how that feels.

Thanks for all the input