Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New batch of Zero 147 JHPs

flat9999

For the past few years, I have been using a standard minor load of:

147gr. MG CMJ

3.4gr. N320

1.142 OAL

I just received a shipment of 147gr. Zero JHPs and did some measuring.

The VV manual lists a load of 3.1 to 3.9 grains with an OAL of 1.142 for XTP JHPs. The Zero JHPs are very close to the same length (.~005" difference), so I would think that using the same load data would be fine. MG's were measured at .030 shorter than the Zero's.

Looking at the powder level, it seems that these new Zero's would be touching it at 3.4grains and an OAL of 1.142, and I'm not sure that the same OAL with 3.9 grains would be a compressed load.

I'm reading alot of folks on other threads that are using similar loads with OALs in the 1.1 to 1.2 area. I don't have much options in lengthening the OAL, due to magazine limit in my G34.

Anybody have any experience in this matter that could be taken into account?

I guess the concern here is that while the exact load of 3.4gr/1.142 OAL should be fine.

I do see some variations in OAL (+/- .007") and powder weight (+/- .2gr) when reloading on the progressive.

If the OAL gets shortened or the powder drop fluctuates slightly , can that potentially lead to a compressed load that I should be worried about?

Any input is appreciated.

Unfortunately, every time we switch bullets (mfgr, weight or anything else)

it is on the safer (More prudent) side to re-establish a new load - starting

with OAL, and then working up the powder charge using a chrono.

First, see how long you can load With The NEW bullet) and back that off

a little (you might find you can load the new bullet longer or shorter than

the old bullet - MG??).

Once you've established your OAL for your new bullet in your gun/mag,

then lower your powder charge a bit (10%) and work up slowly watching

for signs of overpressure, and watching the Chrono carefully.

Then you can start to fine tune the load for accuracy, recoil, etc.

But, that's part of the joy of reloading and shooting... :cheers:

I run 1.150" w/ 147gr zero jhps in my glocks, no problem.

best advice is to start down a couple tenths and work up over a chrono....

-rvb

Edited by rvb

147gr. MG CMJ

3.4gr. N320

1.142 OAL

The VV manual lists a load of 3.1 to 3.9 grains with an OAL of 1.142 for XTP JHPs. The Zero JHPs are very close to the same length (.~005" difference), so I would think that using the same load data would be fine. MG's were measured at .030 shorter than the Zero's.

Looking at the powder level, it seems that these new Zero's would be touching it at 3.4grains and an OAL of 1.142, and I'm not sure that the same OAL with 3.9 grains would be a compressed load.

I'm reading alot of folks on other threads that are using similar loads with OALs in the 1.1 to 1.2 area. I don't have much options in lengthening the OAL, due to magazine limit in my G34.

I guess the concern here is that while the exact load of 3.4gr/1.142 OAL should be fine.

I do see some variations in OAL (+/- .007") and powder weight (+/- .2gr) when reloading on the progressive.

If the OAL gets shortened or the powder drop fluctuates slightly , can that potentially lead to a compressed load that I should be worried about?

When did you order your Zeros?

I ordered some Zero 9mm JHPs in July of last year and haven't received them yet... I call them up every couple of months... they still have my order on file... but no bullets... :-(

147gr. MG CMJ

3.4gr. N320

1.142 OAL

When did you order your Zeros?

I ordered some Zero 9mm JHPs in July of last year and haven't received them yet... I call them up every couple of months... they still have my order on file... but no bullets... :-(

I too have waited for several months for Zero's. It seems that all their bullets are popular and that is they way of life now. If you are on the list, your bullets will come! I like their bullets and the press is running fine, the loads have been gone through the chrono and the gun likes the Zero's.

Easy for me to say this now, but at the time I was in the same situation as you are now and contacting them every couple of months. Magically after my last phone call, the next thing I knew, the FedEx driver was huffing and puffing and ringing my door bell with my order.

Roze Distribution assured me that Zero's is working at max production level and doing everything that they can to get orders out.

Try Shooters Connection, Target Barn, CZ Custom or Powder Valley to see if they have anything in stock that you like from Zero's.

Have tested several loads in the G17G4 using Zero 147g JHPs and N320 with OAL's of 1.120" to 1.140"; and not experienced any problems whatsoever.

3.6g @ 1.140 yielded consistent 133.92 PF with ES=16 and SD=5.

The G34 should show slightly higher fps. Don't think your 3.4g @ 1.142 would be a compressed load.....

• 4 weeks later...

I have had 147's BO for over a year..found them on the Roze web site and ordered them yesterday. Dont know if the old orders were lost or what...recent orders shipping quickly. At least its good to see them on the web site again after along drought..