Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MBX 2011 Magazines

Metallurgist

Both new 9mm mags are nosing up and creating a jamb any help? Gun is new DVC and the factory mags are running great.

What follower and spring do you have? If it's the MBX follower, does it have a ledge or step on it?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, not good. That's scary since the new spring and follower are supposed to prevent this. Try bending the last spring/follower up so as it sits in the mag, it has a pretty decent upward angle. My newer ones with this setup hasn't done that but now I'm getting a little worried. Does it also nose dive when you hand-cycle rounds through your gun?

man i was going to treat myself to an mbx big stick for a new open gun i'm getting, but after reading some posts, will at least initially stick with the sti stocker (which has run great in my steelmaster).

When I was talking to my 2011 builder he stated that the MBX's have run very well for him. He was enthusiastic enough that I bought 6 9mm 140mm MBX mags for my new pistola when it arrives.

And before someone asks - It was Bobby at CK/Freedom Arms

I bought 4 ea. of the 9mm 140's and 4 of the 40cal 140's for my limited and open STI. Now first of being a Texan, I do support STI buut these maagzines are top shelf. They give the proformance we expect from a $130.00 mag. You well me more then happy with them. They do break in and spring tension sets for the advertised round count.

Get Some ! :D

I have 2 140 and 1 170 running 38sc. Got the nose dives every 100 rounds. Tested OAL 1.245 down to 1.225 115gr MG jhp with no change. Switched to the new wolf springs and new follower with the same issue. Ditched those mbx guts, got grams running fine in a 140 (23rd) and the 170 (29rd), and tti guts running great in the other 140 (23rd). No issues since switching away from mbx springs/followers. Total rounds in gun ~5k with the last 2k being without failures since I changed mag internals.

If I had to do it again I'd get the mbx tubes and basepads and grams springs/followers. Tried tti spring/follower in the 170 and the follower rolled. The mbx bodies/pads are top notch awesome though.

Edited by FearsomeCritter

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, Ozy said:

Does anyone have any experience with the mbx magazines in 9mm feeding an svi and or a PT grip (akai)?

I run 2 170 MBX mags with Akai. I have the new PT grip on my match gun and I have the old style PT grip on backup gun. They work fine. I did get one mag that was out of spec, I sent it back and they replaced it. Besides, all Speedy runs is MBX mags in his guns.

Been using 3 of them in my 2011 I'm building. I think on the 21st round (140mm/40sw), they get 'bound up' or something where there's no spring "tension" pushing the rounds up. If I take that round out (22 or 21st?) then it seems to do pretty good.

I've had a few where the round just "thumps" into the feedramp and doesn't go up unless forced but that may be more to do with the gun. Overall they seem to be working pretty good; I've got pictures of the follower sitting in the feed lips in here:

Edited by Benevolence