Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New S&W 627 in 38 Super - Tips appreciated

dansedgli

The racemaster insert swap won’t work for me.

I’ve got it on my IPSC open rig so I’d either need to remove the mag pouches to fit the moon clip holder each time or move the holster to a separate belt each time and swap out the inserts.

When we shoot bianchi matches we shoot 1 match straight after the other so I’d need to swap things around in between which is something I want to avoid.

Any idea which bladetech model will work? They list models for 627’s but specify a 5 or 6 inch barrel length. I’m not concerned about dropping the gun, moreso the price. I’ve got around $600 AUD into my other 2 rigs and am hesitant to spend that much again.

For my 627 super limited I used a CR speed. Solid, fast, never had to adjust it. Liked it. I did one time push it out of the holster with my elbow moving a range table. But for years since then, with a bit of mindfulness moving through barricades, doors, sitting starts, etc. it hasn't been a problem. And if you un-bagged and bagged at the line it would be even less so.

Then I got an open 627 super and that had me thinking about holsters again for a rig for this gun. So with the thinking of Mr. Carmoney above, and others, I tried the Blade Tech pro series. Shot a couple matches with it so far. I like it. Cheap (relatively), super secure (relatively), and for my level, probably just as fast. And I don't have to have my cautionary hand on the grip of the gun so often as I did before.

I had the same question re: 5 or 6 inch as the barrel on this is just over 5 inches. So I just called blade tech, told them the model, and that I'd have the compensator on, which I think makes it a bit longer too. I believe they sent me the 5 inch model. Fit great. And since it doesn't require the gun to be on a muzzle pin, the length doesn't seem to be as critical for proper fit.

I'll (half) agree with the whole retention theory with race holsters versus blade tech, I once dropped my gun while getting up out of chair, somehow the lock disengaged and the grip snagged on the way up ( off the clock ). But that was a one time only occurrence, I think if you're good about checking the lock, you wont have a problem. You would literally have to break apart the holster to get the gun out while it's locked.

I think the bigger benefit to having a race holster would be able to use a single belt rig across multiple guns. I've got plenty of guns with 4 inch, 5 inch and 6 inch barrels I can utilize the same belt and holster for without having any worries.

That being said, I do own a blade tech holster as well for my icore classic rig ( since that belt rig is gun specific ) It's a fine holster, and it doesnt slow down my draws that much where it would actually make a difference.

Yeah, well I've been playing this game for quite awhile now, and on three different occasions I have lost revolvers out of race holsters. Only once was on the clock (and of course that earned me a DQ), once was while taping targets, and once was walking between stages.

Race holsters are awkward for stage starts that require some sort of activity involving the strong hand, and unlocked race holsters are downright scary for seated or reclining starts.

I still use my race rig for steel and some ICORE matches when I am running my 6.5"-barrelled revolvers, but for pretty much everything else I have switched to kydex. I want to be able to grab that sumbitch aggressively, without worrying about a fumbled draw leading to a loaded gun clattering to the ground.

Yeah, well I've been playing this game for quite awhile now, and on three different occasions I have lost revolvers out of race holsters. Only once was on the clock (and of course that earned me a DQ), once was while taping targets, and once was walking between stages.

Race holsters are awkward for stage starts that require some sort of activity involving the strong hand, and unlocked race holsters are downright scary for seated or reclining starts.

I still use my race rig for steel and some ICORE matches when I am running my 6.5"-barrelled revolvers, but for pretty much everything else I have switched to kydex. I want to be able to grab that sumbitch aggressively, without worrying about a fumbled draw leading to a loaded gun clattering to the ground.

Between you and dave, I am convinced about going this way, my problem is with the BMT mount on my optic guns, it doesn't fit in a blade tech(speed rig), or at least not in the one I have here anyways. Eyeballing it I would have to cut out a huge chunk, including where the holster actually mounts to belt carrier portion.

hogue power speed has not failed me yet, but I do get it, quick turn on a uprange start, seated starts, all those things, you gottta be extra paranoid whereas with a kydex its not going to flop out.

I wish i could remember the name of the holster I started using for my 610 ..I know mine is a knock off ...got it on clearance years ago...it is a hanger style that only covers trigger guard ...i believe it is german design ....anyway the good thing about it is that the lock is a lever in back and down is locked adn up in unlocked so you can sweep it up as you draw if you have to do any running or standing right from start...my wife is using it now since it is reversable for leftys and doesnt seen to have any trbl with it.

Thanks guys. I put an order in for a daa racemaster yesterday.

Hopefully it's better than the one I had for my Trojan.

I tried to order a North mountain clip holder but they wanted $110 postage. I've requested a postage quote from Dillon who stocks it also.

My jm springs, extended firing pin and tk clips should be here this week.

Looking forward to giving it a run in icore.

Does anyone know if the 929 end cap fits the 627? Mine was missing and the dealer said she ordered another one but I wouldn't have thought they would be abailable anymore.

Thanks guys. I put an order in for a daa racemaster yesterday.

Hopefully it's better than the one I had for my Trojan.

I tried to order a North mountain clip holder but they wanted $110 postage. I've requested a postage quote from Dillon who stocks it also.

My jm springs, extended firing pin and tk clips should be here this week.

Looking forward to giving it a run in icore.

Does anyone know if the 929 end cap fits the 627? Mine was missing and the dealer said she ordered another one but I wouldn't have thought they would be abailable anymore.

110 postage? Most be a website error, give bob a call or email, he'll make it right.

Thanks, I wonder if S&W are still selling the factory supplied caps or if I'm getting the run around from my gun dealer then. :mellow:

I spent an extra $400 buying new because the used one she had didn't have the end cap. :angry2:

I'll see what Dillon say then get in touch with Bob. I live quite far away so I'm used to gettng shafted with postage but $110 is the most I have ever been quoted for postage.

I needed some decapping pins anyway so it's not the end of the world.

I hope our local distributor has them in Stock. I'll be annoyed if I paid an extra $400 for nothing.

especially now that the gun is broken. :(

The firing pin isn't doing anything. I shot 100 rounds this morning and getting 2-4 light strikes per clip. Now it won't fire at all.

The pin isn't even coming out of the frame unless I dry fire it then push on the hammer.

Edited by dansedgli

• 2 weeks later...

Good call on the Racemaster. It's the only one that I trust, otherwise I'm with Carmoney. I bought a basically brand new WSM II off of a member here, got it, looked it over, double checked all the shims (they were correct for my gun) and said "Nope". Even with it locked you could draw the gun right out albeit with a little bit more effort than normal. I sold it and bought the DAA.

I generally won't lock it after reholstering at the make ready command but I always do if it's a sitting table start or something weird. Not a big deal if you do lock it every time because the lock can be swept off in the normal draw stroke.

• 3 months later...

I invested in one of those kickstand mounts so I can test out the accuracy of this thing tomorrow.

It's a lot harder to shoot well compared to my autos but I'm getting better.

I won limited division in icore at our club championships last month. Good times.

I ended up getting a DAA racemaster and north mountain 4 post clip holder. Seems to do the job well.

20150731_225444_zpsyv1b5m3i.jpg

Edited by dansedgli