Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hopefully Right Thread >>>>> I am wanting to suppr

Ken_Bird

I have a 300 Black Out SBR with a 9" barrel. I would like to find a good can for it and one that I could use for 5.56 /223/22lr as well. Big help in finding one that is affordable. Do you have experience or ideas.

Thanks in advance for any input.

:cheers:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Good is subjective. What are traits do you find important, length, weight, muzzle attachments, cost, noise reduction? Build an excel sheet with options weighted to what you find important.

TBAC, Silencerco, gemtec, AAC, Surefire, and more.

Edited by ziebart

• 3 weeks later...

"Affordable" and the NFA game are mutually exclusive. Suppressors are truly in the buy once-cry once category as they are, for all intents and purposes, a lifetime purchase. The $200 you might save on an affordable one, amortized over a lifetime of use is a really small percentage.

I recently picked up an AAC 762-SD. I've only run about 50 rounds through it so far, so I'm not ready to make a recommendation on it. I will say that I was surprised by the weight it adds. I have it on a 10.5" .300BLK SBR.

As mentioned above, you really need a separate can for .22LR use because of the leading. A center fire can will be sealed most likely and not able to get the lead out from .22lr. I have the SilencerCo Specter II and love it. Very easy to maintain/clean, light and very very quiet.

Edited by WNC Seabee

you really don't want to run .22 through a center fire can. Most center fire cans are sealed. There are only a few CF cans that you can tear down and I don't think that the big names are making them. If I was going to do it all over again, I would have bought a .22, 9mm and 7.62 can all at the same time. Its a chunk of change but the wait is the worst part! I think that you are going to find that a .22 with a can is the most "fun" and will shoot it a whole lot more then the others. 5.56 through a 7.62 can works just fine.

Cheers

Looking at the calibers you are interested in look at the Liberty Mystic X. It is rated to handle all the listed calibers and a whole lot more. Disassembles so you can clean all the .22 lr crude out of it. Its probably the most versatile can there is currently. Won't be the quietest for all calibers but you sure can run it on a lot of them.

One time I bought a couple of cheap cans.. with the tax stamp and the 11 months they took.. I should have just paid a couple hundred more for better quality ones

They are not nearly as quiet as the better ones either

a side question for everyone.. how many rounds of 22 will you shoot before taking it apart and cleaning?

a side question for everyone.. how many rounds of 22 will you shoot before taking it apart and cleaning?

My only experience is with a Silencerco ss sparrow and not a whole lot of rounds through it yet. I cleaned it the first time after about 500 rds. Since then I've got close to that many through it again and I probably will put the company's 1000 rd cleaning claims to the test.

I have several commercial cans and 5 form1 builds (mostly screw together solvent trap builds). The form 1 builds I have where cheaper and probably a better option for 300blk regardless of cost. I am running a mini can on 9" 300blk. It cost around $90 to build, the 5.75" length is shorter than most cans and the 8.2oz is less than half the weight of a typical 30cal can.

http://youtu.be/R9QsI7rgytQ

This one used Diversified Machine ends on a maglite extension tube with car valve retainers (m300 tool steel), the other builds I have done are all with Ti tubes.

spc39i.jpg
2lcldgi.jpg