Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First small competition

luketmv

Hello all,

I recently got into ipsc and signed up for my first small local competition this coming Aaturday, the problem is i had a lot of things get in the way of the past few training sessions (sick, work, range fully booked). This has left me with a month prior to this competition with no trigger time, any advice besides dry firing at home for this week to get into better form for the competition?

Relax.

One month is more than enough time to get ready for a small local match.

1. When you shoot the match, think SAFETY. Not speed, or even accuracy,

ONLY SAFETY.

2. Go over all your gear - make sure the belt/holster/gun/ammo are all in

good condition - also eye/ear protection.

3. Remember SAFETY when you shoot.

4. Make sure you know how to get to the range, and what time you should

be there - have auto in good shape/gassed day before.

5. Did I mention SAFETY?

6. Bring proper clothes/boots/hats/gloves etc for the weather.

7. Safety

8. Bring something to eat and drink, plus Tylenol and Tums, bandaids

9. Safety

10..Bring something to sit on.

11. Safety

12. get to the range next week and make sure your gun is sighted in

properly for 15 yards. Fire it at 5 and 25 yards to see where it

hits at different distances

13. safety

14. If you can practice drawing and actually firing live ammo beforehand,

that would be invaluable. Go Slowly - safety.

15. Tell the match director this is your first match.

16. Relax, and have fun, safely - NO SPEED PLEASE.

:cheers:

Relax.

One month is more than enough time to get ready for a small local match.

1. When you shoot the match, think SAFETY. Not speed, or even accuracy,

ONLY SAFETY.

2. Go over all your gear - make sure the belt/holster/gun/ammo are all in

good condition - also eye/ear protection.

3. Remember SAFETY when you shoot.

4. Make sure you know how to get to the range, and what time you should

be there - have auto in good shape/gassed day before.

5. Did I mention SAFETY?

6. Bring proper clothes/boots/hats/gloves etc for the weather.

7. Safety

8. Bring something to eat and drink, plus Tylenol and Tums, bandaids

9. Safety

10..Bring something to sit on.

11. Safety

12. get to the range next week and make sure your gun is sighted in

properly for 15 yards. Fire it at 5 and 25 yards to see where it

hits at different distances

13. safety

14. If you can practice drawing and actually firing live ammo beforehand,

that would be invaluable. Go Slowly - safety.

15. Tell the match director this is your first match.

16. Relax, and have fun, safely - NO SPEED PLEASE.

:cheers:

Since Jack only touched on it slightly, I'll add to just focus on safety your first time out. :)

Seriously though, just tell the MD it's your first time and thru will hook you up with somebody who will get you through the match just fine.

I dont have a month to go i said i have been out of action for the past month, the competition is this saturday, please note i have been shooting for quite some time, even shot stages in a competitive way with others numerous times.My issue is i havent skipped a month of shooting like this in over a year, was looking for some tips to get into shape without getting on the range, please don't mention dry firing i am doing about 100 a day for the past week and will carry on till saturday.....anything i can do on top of that?

Hello all,

I recently got into ipsc and signed up for my first small local competition this coming Aaturday, ?

If you are so experienced why did you start the thread with this sentence?

You'll figure it out. Good luck

100 a day?

Try df with movement going left, right, forward, rearwards, being aware of muzzle in safe direction all the time. Move with Trigger finger out unless aiming at target. Most IPSC starts are in condition 2, so learn to draw safely and rack the slide. Reload with muzxle in safe direction, trigger finger outside of t. guard. Practice being safe while running. Dont try to be somebody at the match. Last but not the least, know the rules.

Eta. You already have the experience. Recreate match scenario in your df. Be creative.

Edited by BoyGlock

Hello all,

I recently got into ipsc and signed up for my first small local competition this coming Aaturday, ?

If you are so experienced why did you start the thread with this sentence?

You'll figure it out. Good luck

i didnt say im above any certain level, but im not at the level where i need someone telling me be safe either if you know what i mean.

You look plenty competent to compete, enjoy yourself and be safe, so do just that :cheers:

I'm not sure what you expected when you started this thread, but I don't think there's anything anyone can say which would positively effect your performance this weekend; on a longer timeline there may be some shooters here, better than I, who can give you some helpful tips for improvement. In the short run I think the only thing you can do is work on the mental game: quiet your conscience mind and focus on letting your body shoot to it's full potential, the scores will reflect your ability and your conscience mind can only effect them negatively. Come up with a plan, see the sights, execute :D

You look plenty competent to compete, enjoy yourself and be safe, so do just that :cheers:

I'm not sure what you expected when you started this thread, but I don't think there's anything anyone can say which would positively effect your performance this weekend; on a longer timeline there may be some shooters here, better than I, who can give you some helpful tips for improvement. In the short run I think the only thing you can do is work on the mental game: quiet your conscience mind and focus on letting your body shoot to it's full potential, the scores will reflect your ability and your conscience mind can only effect them negatively. Come up with a plan, see the sights, execute :D

sorry guys maybe it was my mistake when i started the thread, maybe i didnt explain properly, i just want some tips to get into shape for the competition this weekend and i wanted to let you know i missed out on a week of range time so you understand the importance of this weeks home practice.

I have an air soft cz to dry fire while watching tv, (it's never had co2 or pellets in it)This doesn't replace dry firing on snap caps with your competition gun or practicing at the range, but it's a safe way to sharpen reflexes while you're relaxing.

I have an air soft cz to dry fire while watching tv, (it's never had co2 or pellets in it)This doesn't replace dry firing on snap caps with your competition gun or practicing at the range, but it's a safe way to sharpen reflexes while you're relaxing.

As far as I'm concerned this is the worst possible way to dry fire. Its not supposed to be relaxing, and if your doing say a 1 to 5 ratio of live to dry fire, guess what's gonna happen on that one in five practice where your actually shooting? Your gonna shoot like your relaxing and watching TV. That sounds like counterproductive practice to me. Dry fire should be a competition, with yourself and a shot timer as your adversaries. The only difference between my dry and live practice is the decibel level. Edited by TonytheTiger

I just started last year, and from what I learned is, like others have said RELAX. Just go to have fun and be safe, since this is your first comp, is not like you have anything riding on it ( unless you made a small side wager with some friends). The first comp I went to I didn't know anyone there and only knew the rules from what I read online. Just let the guys in your shooting group know that your new and they will tell you everything you need to know. You might even make some new friends.

Again just don't worry about how you'll place and have fun with it!

I just started last year, and from what I learned is, like others have said RELAX. Just go to have fun and be safe, since this is your first comp, is not like you have anything riding on it ( unless you made a small side wager with some friends). The first comp I went to I didn't know anyone there and only knew the rules from what I read online. Just let the guys in your shooting group know that your new and they will tell you everything you need to know. You might even make some new friends.

Again just don't worry about how you'll place and have fun with it!

most of us are quite a close group who train together every saturday which helps :) some have been training for 1-2 years, some for much longer than that, mixed ages all round (im actually the youngest). More because it would be a good laugh if i could beat some of the guys who have been doing this for a while *cue the evil laugh*

I know how that goes. I'm also the youngest guy she I shoot (24), and it is pretty cool when the old dog slip up and I'm able to beat them. Especially when I'm using an ak and 870, and they have as much money in their equipment as I do in my car!

I know how that goes. I'm also the youngest guy she I shoot (24), and it is pretty cool when the old dog slip up and I'm able to beat them. Especially when I'm using an ak and 870, and they have as much money in their equipment as I do in my car!

OH THE JOY :)