Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Too much powder?

mikeinctown

I'm sure most of you guys think you can't have too much powder, but I think I may have just that right now.

I have roughly 15 pounds of Unique, Bullseye, and TiteGroup.

Well I just found 231 and HP-38 available at a local shop and told the guy i would be in to pick up an 8 pound jug. I can use the 231 almost universally, where I have limited use for the TiteGroup.

I shoot 9mm, .40, and .45ACP. (Using Unique for .40, and Be for the .45)

Is there any reason you guys can think of to keep the TiteGroup vs selling it off?

In looking at my reloading manual and in reading the various threads on the forum, the HP-38 appears to be a more universal powder and not quite as fast burning. There is more load data for it than the titegroup in the .40, 10mm, and .45ACP. It may be all perception, but I'd rather err on the side of caution. It is also a recommended powder for 380 auto, which I may wind up doing as the GF wants a PK380. (didn't mention that in my first post)

Fast powders like tg have their advantages in VERY light steel and 3 gun loads. I have a mouse fart 9mm 115gn steel loads that are just silly. For that i like titegroup for sure. For heavier bullets i like a slightly slower powder like 231/hp38 or even wsf.

• 4 weeks later...

You can never have too much powder these days :) Depending on how you shoot, you can blow through 8 lbs in no time, especially with the shooting season starting up. I would probably hold onto it a little longer and see if you luck up on more 231. If you got in the area of 15-20 lbs of 231, then I'd say sell the TG.

I shoot Open and I'm not comfortable unless I have at least 30 lbs of HS6 at any time during these times. I used to only keep an 8 lb jug around but lately, it has caused me to stock up and be prepared.

Question: What do you call 15 pounds of pistol powder?

Answer: A good start.

If there is any chance you will be loading light target loads, TG works very well. I would keep it and I say this as an individual that has 20 pounds of TG and 10 pounds of HP-38. I do not understand all of the negativity on the webs regarding TG, it is a good powder.

If that 8# is going to last you quite awhile (a year, or you need the money) sell the TG, the fact that you asked means you weren't sure about getting rid of it so you should probably keep it. You really can have too much powder depending on your storage capabilities but you are not there yet. Enjoy it.

haha, so this is why I cant find much powder ;) I thought I was doing pretty decent with 10#'s of pistol powder and about 15#'s of rifle for .223 and .308 and a few #'s of slow rifle powder for magnums like my dad's 7mm rem. :blush:

Too much powder, isn't that like killing an animal too dead?

If all I had was 15lbs that wouldn't even be a single pound of every powder I use. It doesn't go bad stored properly and having plenty kept me from posting a single thread over the last two years whining about how I couldn't find any powder.

Question: What do you call 15 pounds of pistol powder?

Answer: A good start.

If there is any chance you will be loading light target loads, TG works very well. I would keep it and I say this as an individual that has 20 pounds of TG and 10 pounds of HP-38. I do not understand all of the negativity on the webs regarding TG, it is a good powder.

I agree, I don't understand all the hate for Titegroup either. I think some people are just parroting what others have said about it being too smoky or no good with lead, etc. and have never actually used it themselves.

That being said, Titegroup is one of my go to powders. During the shortage I worked up some loads with Universal and CFE Pistol which is all I had on hand. But now that I can find Titegroup again I am happy since I can now start loading some of my established loads with it.