Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DQ?

johniac7078

I would definitely say DQ. Oftebn times before the SO gives that command they are checking out the people and ensuring they are safely behind the line. Walking to the line does not give someone the right to make ready until they are instructed to do so.

Would you DQ someone for drawing and starting to load at the line before commanded to do so? On elf my SOs did last night and as MD I concurred. I was shocked to hear people saying that there is no rule against this. I did specifically state not to do so in the safety briefing.

Here the shooters argument, is a long email I received....

2.12. Range Commands

2.12.1. Many of the range commands given to a shooter by the SO are for safety, while the rest are for stage administration.

2.12.2. To allow a shooter to compete anywhere in the world and hear the same commands, the IDPA range commands will only be given in English, the official language of IDPA. These exact range commands must be used and local variations are not allowed.

2.12.3. The complete set of IDPA Range Commands are:

2.12.3.1 Range Is Hot, Eyes and Ears

This is the first command given to the shooter starting the action of shooting a stage. This command signifies the start of the CoF. The shooter will make sure that their eye and hearing protection is in place. It is also notification to anyone in the shooting bay to check their own eye and hearing protection is properly fitted.

2.12.3.2. Load and Make Ready

When the shooter has proper eye and hearing protection, the SO will issue the Load and Make Ready command. The shooter will prepare the firearm and magazines to match the start position for the stage. Typically this is to load the firearm and holster, but may include non-typical loading or staging of equipment. The shooter will then assume the starting position necessary for thestage. If the shooter’s firearm is not loaded for the start of a stage the command used will be “Make Ready.”

Conclusion:
Any command between "Range is Hot, Eyes and Ears" and "Load and Make Ready" cannot be part of the "Complete set" of range commands and is therefore a "local variation" that is "not allowed." Applying this rule to the stage in question, which involved "non-typical loading or staging of equipment," the onus is on the shooter to stage magazines in the box after he is asked to "Load and Make Ready."
The reason given for prohibiting deviations from these commands is ostensibly to facilitate understanding by non-English speakers, but likely is also to reduce the number of miscommunications that occur due to the shooter being "in the zone" and misunderstanding or mishearing an unfamiliar command, something not altogether unexpected in a sport that requires all participants to wear ear protection.

Thoughts?

I don't understand what the shooter is arguing is...

By emphasizing the parts highlighted, he/she is admitting fault...no?

Edited by racerba

• 3 weeks later...

1.2.7. Firearms may only be loaded, and subsequently unloaded, under the direction of the Safety Officer (SO).

At our club, we discuss this in our initial safety briefing and equipment check. DQ IS DEFINITELY WARRANTED.

I shoot at the club that runs "hot" range and sometimes when Im called to the line and I'm not sure if I switched magazine on last run or if I just wanna check the chamber , I tell SO and wait for his command to do so.

DQ in my book , especially since you guys went over it in safety briefing.

• 2 weeks later...

It is a DQ and if said shooter wants to argue it further, my response as MD would be to uphold it on the basis of the firearms handling rules. Furthermore I would inform him that he would need to demonstrate to me personally a proper and thorough grasp of the safety and competition rules before I would allow him to compete again. I would go so far as to forward this to all MD's in the area to advise them of his safety risk, range lawyering, and lack of rules knowledge. Safety risks need to understand they will have two choices: correct their deficiencies or be banned from matches.