Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Work on my SA 1911 MilSpec or buy a Spartan V

EasyTargetRN

I could not be happier with my spartan. Im currently at 5000 rounds without cleaning and it hasnt hickup once. I was going to clean it but decided ill wait till it starts having issues before I do. Its also got over 20k rounds through it

I have always preferred to have the work done on a base model pistol. That way I get it set up the way I want it. I'm the type that knows what I want (when it matters), and doesn't like to settle...

If I attempt to settle for anything less, I'm usually not happy with it and end up spending more money to get it the way I like.

I'd list all the upgrades you intend to make, price it out, and then decide. If you are doing the work yourself or know that you only want sights and trigger then I agree with upgrading what you have. But, since you are looking at the Spartan, I assume you may also want other upgrades so, if you are looking to add a beavertail, combat hammer, etc you will end up spending quite a bit by the time you refinish the gun so it might be more cost effective to go a different direction. By the time I was done upgrading my old SA I had about $2k into it. Great gun now but I could have gotten to the same place for quite a bit less.

Spartan and would do it again. Mainspring/magwell, grips and springs.

It runs flawless with metalforum mags

Everyone that pulls the trigger loves it.

Sti replaced the front sight with a dawson since the factory one broke, great customer service

Thanks all. Planning on SS Major. Current mods are modest mag well ambi safety and ext slide release.

Planned mods will be Brazos Trigger, VZ Aztec Grips, and Dawson sight set all in all between $300 & 400 excluding the necessary smithing.

OR

Have a lead on a Ruger SR1911 locally with Novak Sights, VZ G10 Grips and a Serpa holster for $575. CMD version is my CCW so quite comfortable with operations.

AND

Sell the SA to fund mods

Thanks all. Planning on SS Major. Current mods are modest mag well ambi safety and ext slide release.

Planned mods will be Brazos Trigger, VZ Aztec Grips, and Dawson sight set all in all between $300 & 400 excluding the necessary smithing.

OR

Have a lead on a Ruger SR1911 locally with Novak Sights, VZ G10 Grips and a Serpa holster for $575. CMD version is my CCW so quite comfortable with operations.

AND

Sell the SA to fund mods

Allow me to suggest one more change: a reduced-power magazine catch spring. For me, this one part makes a big difference in the ease of swapping magazines, something you'll be doing a lot in SS!

Chris

The big c/o I have with my SA is the mag release. I have to adjust my grip to actuate it, unlike my SR1911 which is easily reached with the right thumb. Though in retrospect perhaps freeing the mag with the left thumb on the way to a fresh mag might be a better tactic

Scored a Brazos trigger kit, STI trigger, and FLGR from a forum member, thanks Al! VZ Operator Magwell grips on the way, need to find a better rear sight (preferably) adjustable and hi rise beaver tail that'll match a MilSpec SA..

Black Scorpion belt is on the way to go with my eAMP mag pouches and Blackhawk holster.

Looking forward to feeling prepared for practice night at WNYPPL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got a Spartan myself. Trigger and sights were good out of the box. Mods I made were traditional guide rod/recoil spring plug, Smith & Alexander magwell, new Hogue grips (just to fit flush w/ the magwell), and a Wilson extended mag release.

Overall the gun isn't bad. It's had a hiccup or two but not terrible. Overall though if I had it to do over again I'd get a Trojan in .40S&W (as several people told me I should before I bought the Spartan :)). If you shoot any volume the price difference in .40S&W and .45ACP components will eliminate any savings on the gun itself within one or two shooting seasons. Truthfully the aggravation of tracking down .45 brass is what keeps me from shooting the gun as much as I'd like. I don't like to shoot it because I have to be so much more aggressive in picking up brass - and every other .45 shooter on the range is doing the same so you don't find too much unwanted left behind stuff (9mm and .40S&W shooters leave tons of it behind :)).

I've debated having a .40S&W top-end built for this frame but cost-wise you're almost at the cost of a new Trojan by the time you get there.

Stick with what you have and make changes as needed. Many changes are not needed and mostly desires... Get really good with your gear then when you must upgrade, do it. Id use the money saved for ammo. Shooting lots will improve you more that a new gun will.

Have a FLGR but don't have the open ended spring plug. $10 from Midway/Brownells but I'll trade a GI 1911 mag or a Bianchi leather dual mag pouch if some one has one in their parts box they're not using.

Message me is you can help me out.e54d986bb1c535cb7cf351c437dc2824.jpg

Edited by EasyTargetRN

I would use your SA. I have a 5" Spartan 9mm. The barrel looks as if someone ran a dull drill bit through the bore. I sent it back and they said all the barrels they had looked the same or worse. There were tool marks all over the underside of the barrel also. The grip safety wasn't blended well at all, it had a sharp edge that rode in the web of your hand. The extractor tension out of the box was horrible. Save your $750 for upgrades or put it towards a Trojan instead if you want STI.

Edited by nmbpman

Three hours of fitting an filing later, all but the FLGR (in need of a spring plug if anyone has one). Added a Brazos trigger kit, hi rise safety, VZ grips and polished the trigger.

All in all a great addition3ada9caeee021e8d95b44b0d15c60c9f.jpga2150684014a620933ac81a2bc8f167c.jpg4f20e8708bb9680bc477aae60266ba62.jpg

Looks real good man, spend the rest of your money on ammo and training books. This gun is capable of taking you really far in this sport... Why the FLGR? I hate them but have an FLGR end cap in my box. PM me your info.

If you don't like the Beavertail fit, Wilson Combat has one for $30-35 that is a really good fit to the SA radius.

Edited by ricardo28

IMHO the Spartan is a Philippine pistol with a trigger upgrade and decent fit barrel. I owned one then upgraded. The frame, barrel and slide were not well cast and machined. The quality of the competition sights were not as good as other STI pistols.

The Springfield is a much better pistol but will cost more to have the same options. However, in the end you will have much better quality.

As I've had a chance to put the SA through it's paces, I have to say I am amazed by the Brazos kit's crisp, consistent break. All I need now is an adjustable trigger to eliminate pre- and post travel, an extended mag release (or a longer thumb) to make reloads easier, and better sights for my aging eyes. :surprise:

Thanks to all for advising me to "run what I brung".

Edited by EasyTargetRN