Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

please help me choose a shotgun

dghboy315

Mike.45:

I thought we were racing for 4 into an empty gun and then shoot one, and as I recall you beat me a couple of times. Ah well, we can retry ALL of it again this June!! KURTM

PS I just got a personal best this very day with a shoot one, load 8, shoot one, in 5.67 seconds.....and actually hit a 6" plate at 10 yards with the first and last shot. Can't do it all the time but it is beautiful when it all works. Maybe a bit of the anger at having a .45 stollen helped.

I thought it was shoot 1 load 4.....shoot 1

Hey Buddy I am just happy that I could draw even on one COF ...dont take that away from me !!

You may be right that it was a unloaded load 4 shoot 1 but if I can come even just once I am happy....

If you want real Beer just play nice !!! Can you drink 1 load 1 in 5.54 secs ??? :D

Lost a .45 - ???? How are the OKA Cops dealing with that ? and how did that come about ??

You are still welcome to come stay, just dont improve with a shotgun.... :angry:

For what it's worth I have owned them all, Rem, Gold, and Benelli, and now the SX2. For the $750.00 I paid for it and have put not one dime into it, the SX2 is by far the best I have had. It jammed three times in the first 8 rounds loaded, but hasn't done so since then. I shoot only Fed. 2.75 dram 8's, Fed. reduced buck and slugs. All work 100%

I voted Benelli, but that was in hypocrisy.

I am running an 1100 that I built. I enlarged the gas ports, put a DMW easyloader on it, and lengthened the forcing cone. It used to run perfect except for large slug stages, I would clean it over and over. It was when I switched from RemOil to BreakFree that I began to get 600-800 round torture tests out of it by simply spraying a little BF into the ports on the handguard before each match. I will still clean it between major matches, but it is working better than ever. If I were starting over today, I would buy a Benelli and get Benny's modifications to it.

The hardest stuff your shotgun will encounter is sand, and in my case, slugs(read dirty ammo of any kind). Proper lubrication can make a huge difference regardless of the operating system, whether it is gas or recoil.

Since the big dogs run both of these systems, it really depends on what you like best, and what you are willing to do to keep them running. I have no experience with the Browning, and only limited experience with the Winchester. I saw Remingtons, Winchesters, and Benellis all malfunction at 3GN in 2003 on the 33 round slug stage. There was a lot of dust at PASA that summer and that didn't help either.

well i took the majority view point and tried out a stock benelli M1 super 90. it was light and ergonomics were great. the rifle sights were excellent as well. BUT, recoil really was heavy. i shot it side by side w/ my 870 using the same ammo and the benelli felt like it kicked harder. i think this will be a deal breaker specifically because of my dad, who does not like heavy kick. i also heard that benellis run reliably b/c the top shooters usu. use full power loads. they would also have problems w/ super/ultra light loads. is this true?

well, then i moved to the groups second choice, the JP rem 1100 limited shotgun. i called up JP and talked for a while w/ them. i don't know who i talked too, but he was veryhelpful and informative. we talked about my concerns w/ reliability problems and he said that the gun needed to be cleaned after every use. but, if it was cleaned for no more than 5 min after every use, it would run as reliablly as any other gun. major cleaning only needed to be done every season. my second concern was w/ the length of pull. the only way to shorten the gun was to install a choate pistol grip w/ spacers. what is the opinions of pistol grips on shotguns?

well, i was ready to put down an order, when he said that the JP limted shotgun was not available. he said they had not gotten parts from remington for 2 months. he hoped he would get the guns in stock w/in 4-8 weeks. ugh. i put my self on the waiting list, but i don't know if i want to wait that long

so now, i guess i'm back to the SX2. the guy at JP said he also liked that one. he said it had good internals. he only had 2 real criticisms of winchester. 1, the rifle sights were not good and not adjustable. 2, single reloads required a person to push a button while the rem could be set up w/ auto closing bolt.

i guess now i just need to find a place that has sx2 for a good price. any suggestion?

thanks again everyone.

dghboy315, SX 2 for me. I have a Benelli for backup if something should happen to my SX 2 but have never needed it for that reason. The Winchester just fits me, from the first time I picked it up it felt like it was made for me. Its starting its 3 rd. season of 3 gun and managed a 93% of Kurts time at last weeks match. There is a breakin period with them but it is only about 200 rnds. Mine is a Mark 1 with the flip up rifle sights and they are very fast and great for slugs. LOL Keith

• 3 months later...

Is there a "typical" Benny Hill Benelli job? If so, could someone elaborate what is included and why.

Also, any leads for cost friendly Benelli distributers who actually maintain inventory, including after market parts, barrels etc would be most appreciated

thanks