Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Another Going To 'The Dark Side'

pbcaster45

My STI Trubor 38 Trubor should be arriving later this week and I'm not sure where to start load wise. I've loaded my Kimber 38 Super to major with Power Pistol but I'd rather avoid the impressive muzzle flash. Is this a good starting load using what I've got on hand?

Bullet: MG 124 gr. JHP

Powder: 8.2 grs. IMR 4756

Primer: WSR

Case: Starline 38 Super

LOAL: 1.235

I've got Starline 38 SC brass too but that's for later (don't know if it's needed yet)

I'd say that is a good starting point.

Here is one that works in my guns with the lot I currently have:

SR4756 at 8.5gr

MG 124gr JHP at 1.235-1.240"

= about 1350fps = 167pf

Tula or Win SPP or SRP

I like the way SR4756 shoots, but it is a PIA to load as the case is really full. I generally load it on a 550 for this reason however last time I used a 650 and was flicking powder all over (and yes, I have the anti-power flicking mods).

Anyway, if you got it shoot it! It is a good shooting powder and works well with the 124 grain bullets.

• 2 weeks later...

I took the gun to an indoor range today, wanted to do some outdoor chronographing but it rained all day. Gun fed and ejected all test loads 100%. All were very accurate but my favorite was the MG 124 gr. JHP over 8.2 grs. of IMR-4756. I really didn't care for the way the 115s recoiled so it's the 124s and above for me. I went once in the morning and had quite a few problems with the trigger. At times the trigger would jam up with a round in the chamber and a loaded magazine. The pull weight seemed to change also, pretty frustrating! I thought maybe the trigger stop set screw was turned in too far so I went home and removed it. I went for a second range session but removing the set screw made no difference at all. I guess I'll be on the phone with STI Monday unless someone has a suggestion?

P.S. Feeling really happy about all that IMR-4756 I bought over the summer! Works great in my Kimber 38 Super but it's even better in the Trubor! Cleanest burning powder tried!

Note: All bullets chambered easily and passed the spin test.

Bullet: Hornady 115 gr. XTP-HP

Powder: Hodgdon CFE Pistol 7.4 grs.
Primer: Winchester Small Rifle
Case: Starline .38 Super +P
LOAL: 1.245
Recoil Spring: Factory
Rounds: 50
Comments: Very accurate and pleasant to shoot, but getting some “corn meal” residue.
Bullet: Nosler 115 gr. JHP
Powder: IMR-4756 8.8 grs.
Primer: Federal 205 Small Rifle
LOAL: 1.233
Rounds: 150
Comments: Very accurate but "snappier" than the heavier bullets.
Bullet: Montana Gold 124 gr. JHP
Powder: IMR-4756 8.2 grs
Rounds: 10
Comments: This would be a great combination for practice, favorite overall load.
Powder: IMR-4756 8.5 grs.
Rounds: 10
Comments: No signs of excess pressure.
Bullet: Montana Gold 124 gr. CMJ
Powder: IMR-4756 8.2 grs.
Case: Starline 38 Super +P
LOAL: 1.240
Bullet: Hornady 125 gr. HAP (#35572B)
Powder: Alliant Power Pistol 7.6 grs.
Comments: Much more muzzle flash than IMR-4756.
Edited by pbcaster45

Just an update on the trigger problem, maybe this will look familiar to someone. I made up 5 dummy rounds (no powder or primer) and fed a round into the chamber. With the magazine and 4 rounds the trigger will intermittently jam up just like the thumb safety was engaged. When the loaded magazine is removed and an empty installed the trigger operates normally. Stumped! :huh:

What does it mean?

Just an update. I wasn't being as methodical as I thought, one of my three magazines functions perfectly. Now I need to compare it to the other two and figure out what's different. Looking up through the magazine well I can't see where the magazines would drag on the trigger bow.

• 2 months later...

I got my Trubor back from STI last week and they fixed the trigger binding problem. I did have some ammo problems at the range today. I got lazy and set my powder measure to 8.1 grs. of 4756 - bad idea! Got more stovepipes than I could keep track of! My usual load of 8.2 grs. is probably on the edge of good function too. I must have a slow batch of powder.

Powder: SR-4756 8.1 grs
Powder: SR-4756 8.1 grs
Case: Remington .38 Super +P (Nickel Plated)
Hmmm... I wonder if the cooler temperatures back in January were a factor too? :huh:
Edited by pbcaster45

Darryl,

I've got three bottles of "Unobtainium" but I haven't had much time to work with it. Here's the load I have tried, how does this compare to your 38sc data?

Powder: VihtaVuori N105 9.5

No doubt about it, under loaded ammo. Cleaned the gun last night and tested it again today. Everything was 100% though I did seat the MG 124 gr. JHP just a little deeper with my original charge of 4756. I tried a few rounds with 8.3 grs. and that might be even better.

Powder: SR-4756 8.2 grs
LOAL: 1.250
Wished I had more N105, that stuff is awesome! B)
20%20Shots%2015%20yds.jpg
Edited by pbcaster45

My trubor can't be reliably shoot resting the mag on the bench. It will jam up like you mentioned

Put it on a real rest or shoot freehand it runs 100%

Weight on mag probably jams up the trigger stirup

Did you chrono any of these loads?

Edited by truborshooter

Just an update on the trigger problem, maybe this will look familiar to someone. I made up 5 dummy rounds (no powder or primer) and fed a round into the chamber. With the magazine and 4 rounds the trigger will intermittently jam up just like the thumb safety was engaged. When the loaded magazine is removed and an empty installed the trigger operates normally. Stumped! :huh:

What does it mean?

PBCASTER45, since the dummy round has no primer and you are pulling the trigger; the firing pin is getting caught in the flash hole of the dummy round. This happened to me also when I was checking my mags. I would recommend adding a used primer to your dummy rounds. Make sure you check your firing pin.

Finally got out to the range today to chronograph the two loads I like the best. I didn't make 170 PF with either load so it's back to the drawing board! :blush:

LOAL: 1.250
Avg. Vel.: 1274.64 fps
ES: 35.93
SD: 10.29
Comments: 158 PF
Powder: SR-4756 8.3 grs.
Avg. Vel.: 1291.10 fps
ES: 49.48
SD: 16.55
Comments: 160 PF

• 3 weeks later...

I've done some load adjustment using 4756, N105, and Power Pistol - should be able to chronograph those and report back this weekend. In spite of the impressive muzzle flash I've notice something about Power Pistol I've never seen mentioned before - it's tendency to clean out carbon fouling from other powders. It's impressive! Might make a habit of firing a few after each range session to keep the comp clean!

After 65 rounds (should have taken a before picture - sorry!)

post-2837-0-16705600-1431525892_thumb.jp

And still more chronograph work - finally getting there as far as making major. Really impressed with Power Pistol, it does flash a lot indoors - but outside it's no problem. I went into my stash of Precision Delta 124 gr. JHPs too, very impressed with the quality. One thing I really like about the Precision Delta bullets is the more consistent LOAL compared to the Montana Golds. Still need to compare for accuracy, the Montana Golds shoot great, especially with Power Pistol.

I seated the Montana Golds out slightly with N105 (that stuff really fills up the case!) SR-4756 does too but it seems to compress easily.

Powder: SR-4756 8.5 grs.
LOAL: 1.240 (.976 with Stoney Point)
Avg. Vel.: 1346.61 fps
ES: 37.90
SD: 10.81
PF: 166
Recoil Spring: 8 lbs. with Dawson Aluminum Buffer Pad

Bullet: Precision Delta 124 gr. JHP

Powder: SR-4756 8.5 grs.