Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

recoil comparison 9mm minor vs 38 super

davsco

for anyone who has a STI steel master 9mm minor open gun (Winchester white box) or comparable gun, and also a 5"+ 38 super open gun (eg trubor or grandmaster), any input as to the recoil difference between the two? I guess I'm trying to figure out if the comp works more efficiently with the 38 super round and sucks up most of the increased power. or, with a similar comp on both guns, is the increased recoil fully proportional to the increased energy of the 38 super round?

I have the steel master now and it of course works great for steel matches, but does have the scoring disadvantage in uspsa. with a 38 super open gun I'd lose the scoring disadvantage, but not sure how much it would slow me down with steel.

thanks! david

My TruBor works perfectly (when it's clean and well lubricated) with

both 9mm major and 9mm minor loads.

You might be able to pop a stiffer spring into your Steel Master, and

shoot 9mm major. Then you can see the little difference between

shooting minor and major.

VERY LITTLE difference between 9mm major and .38 super. :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

I spent a lot of time developing a shorty open gun in 9 major, at its very best it was not as shootable as a full size gun, but it was very light and easy to swing.

You need to shoot about 95% of points on a stage aka shoot mostly A's major or minor, so my advice is to dry fire and shoot A's.

I have guns rigged for both 38 Super and 9 major, the recoil difference at the same PF cannot be detected.

I've shot matches with minor and major and my scores are about the same. I can shoot the minor a little faster but it does nothing for my movement skills, which is a major part of the game.

Use your money on ammo and practice, get serious about movement sills. When you make "A" then treat yourself to a custom gun.

Use your money on ammo and practice, get serious about movement sills. When you make "A" then treat yourself to a custom gun.

I GUESS you could follow this rational advice, but you COULD buy two dozen guns, shoot a different one every month and not improve much in two years like I did! :)

ETA: I agree, the only difference between 9 and 38 is the amount you obsess over the brass.

Edited by kneelingatlas

you could shoot minor 38 super for steel.

I prefer 38 super for steel since I can run 95gr JHP bullets.

You can run 95 gr JHP's with 9mm also?? :cheers:

Not as easily as with Super. The 95gr JHP are too short to load long enough in 9mm cases to get good reliability with good case neck tension.

Too many variables. I have two nearly identical guns, from the same manufacturer, just about 14 months apart, in the same caliber... they have noticeable difference in felt recoil.

One is very stiff, the other - soft by comparison.

So I don't think you can make a valid comparison between the two calibers, as the gun's design affects it great deal.

Too many variables. I have two nearly identical guns, from the same manufacturer, just about 14 months apart, in the same caliber... they have noticeable difference in felt recoil.

One is very stiff, the other - soft by comparison.

So I don't think you can make a valid comparison between the two calibers, as the gun's design affects it great deal.

Tray swapping the complete mainspring housing and the firing pin stop from the soft gun to the other and vice versa. Small differences between the two make a noticeable difference in felt recoil.