Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911/2011 as Daily Carry?

Bruce

By now I think most people who own and shoot 1911's (and read articles about same on the internet) have read the opinions stated by Larry Vickers, Hilton Yam, and perhaps some other 1911 builders about how (and these are my words...not trying to quote other people) there are better daily carry / hard use pistols than the 1911...or at least other types of pistols they now carry daily.

What are your opinions? Anyone carry a 1911-style pistol every day, work it hard every day, and care to relate what you have found on the issue of reliability---and keeping it reliable?

Thanks, as a long-time 1911 nut, I look forward to your views...then I will share my own.

I started carrying 1911s in 2004 when I made Ranger and did so most everyday since, up until about 8 months ago when I purchased a ZEV G17. While my Infinity 1911 are ultra accurate and reliable, they are heavy and very expensive. So, for daily carry/abuse I've pretty much converted to Glocks (for work only). I still carry the single stack Infinity when I need to dress up and I shoot nothing but Infinitys in competition.

But to answer your question about keeping them reliable.......monthly cleaning, very regular mag maintenance.

By now I think most people who own and shoot 1911's (and read articles about same on the internet) have read the opinions stated by Larry Vickers, Hilton Yam, and perhaps some other 1911 builders about how (and these are my words...not trying to quote other people) there are better daily carry / hard use pistols than the 1911...or at least other types of pistols they now carry daily.

What are your opinions? Anyone carry a 1911-style pistol every day, work it hard every day, and care to relate what you have found on the issue of reliability---and keeping it reliable?

Thanks, as a long-time 1911 nut, I look forward to your views...then I will share my own.

I would never carry a 1911 for the simple reason it has to be carried cocked and locked safety on which means under stress, I have more things to do than just pull the trigger. Also, the safety is just too easy to bump down into the fire position when in a holster. I like the 1911 (and shoot one every week in league) but would not choose for carry. If I was to carry an auto it would probably be my Springfield Xd. I prefer DA gun with same triiger pull on every stroke. But my first choice for carry would be a wheelgun, 3" barrel, six shot .357.

Edited by bountyhunter

I carry a Bul 1911C commander size 1911 in 45 ACP. It is my carry gun only and I have replaced the recoil system with a flatwire assembly from Wilson and have made certain it locks up right and everything is pretty much perfect. I've only shot it about 1000 times in two years because I know from experience that most 1911's need more regular maintenance than other pistols I have shot. I have the attitude that if I use a gun in competition and it gets to the point that it has a high round count that the possibility of failure becomes greater and there is no way I would bet my life on it.

I carry a lightweight commander sized gun or a STI VIP. I have separate guns for games but all are 1911/2011, even have a Ruger 22/45. I only have to remember one platform and develop muscle memory for it. If I shoot a non 1911, the first thing I try to do is try to disengage the thumb safety.

I carry a 5" Springfield Armory 1911 every day. It's been heavily modified for both aesthetics and function, and I have had a grand total of 2 malfunctions directly attributed to the gun in the multiple thousands of rounds through it. I believe that the biggest things to consider when making a 1911 100% reliable are as follows: Properly fitted extractor/tuned ejector, properly shaped and polished feed ramp and barrel throat, proper spring maintenance (knowing when to change your recoil, firing pin, main, and sear/disconnector springs), and the right choice in lubricant (and where it's applied).

My IDPA match gun is also a 5" 1911, as I feel it makes more sense to train with what I trust my life to. I could shoot SSP/ESP and probably be a whole lot faster, but I see IDPA first and foremost as a training tool. I keep other guns for the "games", as it were.

I've had a Dan Wesson CCO for about 7 months now and it's my EDC. With the alloy frame, its just under 26 oz, which is only slightly heavier than a polymer pistol.

Zero malfs, very accurate, lightweight and very easy to conceal with the officer size frame. I might consider a thin singlestack polymer pistol if it was close to the same accuracy as the CCO. I had a Shield but it wouldn't group even after a couple of trips to the factory.

For me, the reliability is not an issue. 1911's can be just as reliable as a polymer striker. I think the deal breaker is the weight of the 1911(most of them) and the limited capacity.......... I've been watching force on force videos and noticed that people burn through a lot of rounds when trying to defend themselves. And what if there are multiple attackers.........

I just bought an sti duty 4.0 lite in 9mm . It's light enough to carry, extremely accurate, awesome to shoot. I will probably carry it occasionally just because I love the gun but my g19 is my primary. It's fairly easy to conceal and holds 15 rounds. I can carry a spare g17 mag that holds an additional 17 rounds. And if zombies attack I can pull a 33 round mag out of the glove box and go to town! Plus, glocks are cheap (relatively) and the more they are abused the better they look!

Edited by 3djedi