Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Polishing Feed Ramp

ES13Raven

I polish my feed ramp with a wood dowel and scotch bright pad. In and out of the barrel, the same way the round travels. Not the barrel, just the feed ramp. A dremel would actually be leaving score lines perpendicular of feed travel. I'm not positive it helps prevent jams, but once you get it really polished, it wipes off super easy with just a rag.

Makes clean up a breeze and can't hurt anything. Mine was pretty good to start so I used 1200 grit and honing compound. Took much longer than the dremel but no worries of taking off too much.

A Dremel flannel polishing wheel with Flitz or SimiChrome isn't going to take anything substantial off (if anything at all) - it'll just polish it. Feeding should be smoother, that's why we polish things (like all the internals that move against each other).

It isn't going to leave any "lines" that would affect anything. Again, it's polishing, not cutting. Not to worry.

Cratex bits (rubber impregnated with abrasive), on the other hand, can be a bit aggressive, and those take a light hand and lower speeds. I use them, occasionally, for starting polishing on parts such as the back end of the trigger bar, where other tools won't reach in to the crevices. (Schmecky uses wet-or-dry paper attached to a Dremel bit in those areas, and that's actual abrasive, so the Cratex here is actually fairly mild. Again - gently!)

Edited by teros135

If you aren't having feeding problems don't waste your time on it.

If you have modified your gun at all, such as a lighter recoil spring, then I wouldn't consider polishing your feed ramp a waste of time. I'm sure most Limited, and Open shooters polish their feed ramps.

If you aren't having feeding problems don't waste your time on it.

If you have modified your gun at all, such as a lighter recoil spring, then I wouldn't consider polishing your feed ramp a waste of time. I'm sure most Limited, and Open shooters polish their feed ramps.

I've done custom work to quite a few CZs. All but two were set up with 10 or 11 pound recoil springs. They all feed and function fine with the feed ramps untouched. If you are having a feed problem it could help, but most of the feed problems on shadows are caused by bad magazines or too much tension on the extractor.