Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

new slide stop help

jimbullet

I bought a new nitro fin slide stop for my STI Edge. I thought it would be a drop in part but apparently needs some work as the gun wont go all the way into battery as if something is holding it up.

I manage to install the slide stop and can rack the slide and it does go forward but doesnt go into full battery leaving about 1/4 inch before closing up.

I have removed the SS (slide stop), field stripped the gun and this is what I find:

a. Frame and slide only with slide stop - it goes through wel

b. barrel link and slide stop goes through fine.

All together, it appears it would not go full battery.

What is the fix here? Should I get some sand paper and try to sand down the slide stop pin?

Any input appreciated.

Cheers

The original STI slide stop pin measuring with a caliper is 0.196 with the nitro fin measuring 0.199. Does that mean I need to reduce it to the STI measurements and it should then work fine?

It did however go through the barrel link and the frame with ease so I thought this would have been within tolerance?

Is your Edge hard chromed?

My Edge is hard chromed and I had the same problem. I used heavy grit sandpaper on the slide stop pin, followed with lower grit to smooth it out. Took less than 30 minutes to solve the problem.

These slide stop pins are advertised to be .199.

Edited by JMike

Mine is blued not hard chrome. I'm more keen on altering the slide stop rather than the lugs as I would like the old slide stop to still work as a spare. I think altering the lugs would make it dedicated for the nitrofin alone. I still like the idea that I can use the old slide stop to work in case I ever need it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, full turns forward & backwards. Once I got it to where it fit & functioned, I used very light grit sandpaper, followed by Emory cloth to make it super smooth.

It worked well for me. Let us know how you make out.

Edited by JMike

Make sure your original pin is not tweeked/ bent to fit the frame.

sometimes you can tell by rolling it on a granite block or piece of glass

Stop by a machine shop and ask if they can tell quick or do what every body else is doing and bring it down smaller. Which I would do also!!!!

I dont think its bent as it does go in smoothly. Its just that the slide will just not close leaving about 1/4 inch.

So far have sanded down from 0.199 to 0.195 and the slide will still not close but noticeably has improved with just about 1/8 inch before closing.

Getting there slowly but doing it by hand is painfully slow. Im afraid to use a dremel as that can easily make it not round anymore.

The original slide stop pin measured about 0.191, so just a bit more....

Measure the old pin with a caliper and see if it is out of round. The pin may have been fit to your gun.

I once thought of buying an extended slide release for my STI but I called them first. They warned me that it might need fitting so I never changed it. I think they fit the guns tight.

Edited by bountyhunter

I agree that fitting the lower lugs to the SS is the more appropriate solution as .191 is very undersized. However, sanding the SS pin down keeps you from ruining the barrel lugs if done incorrectly. Seems like the OP did the latter and had good results. I hope the sanding of the SS pin was limited to where the lower lug engages. If you sand the entire pin down, you add more slop to the SS pin to frame fit.

I actually wanted to sand the entire pin and not thinking that I would only need to sand the area where they actually contact...I was unsuccessful though at reducing the diameter of the entire length of the pin perhaps due to my not very steady hands. So the overall result was that the pin near the slide stop (for the lack of term of that piece) was sanded down to about 0.197 with the rest of the pin down to between 0.193/ 0.194.

I just need to test fire this now. Also I noticed that I have the tendency of applying pressure on the nitro fin that when I manually rack the slide, its actually going up and engaging the slide lock. I suspect that it will result in a premature slide lock back and so I am thinking to smoothen that portion out that engages the slide lock.

Given that I am using this as an IPSC pistol, I dont really need it to lock the slide back after the last round.

I thought of drilling a detent but with the lack of a drill press, I would propably not attempt to.