Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Case gage usage

I'm wondering how useful a case gage is, as compared to measuring every so often with dial calipers? Yes I know it's a real quick go/no-go inspection but if something fails, I'm probably going to turn around and use the dial calipers anyway...

Thx

A good case gauge is a confidence builder.

I want good ammo in both practice and matches. When I step to the starting box I have eliminated everything I possibly can that will derail my stage.

Many do not gauge practice rounds but a few failures to feed in practice will always leave a lingering doubt in the back of my mind that if that one or two out of a thousand rounds did not work properly in practice, will they work properly in a match.

So I case gauge every round I make.

The fastest way to check a large number of rounds is a case gauge.

Nuff said.

Bill

Nuff said.

Bill

Same here. And since I got the new hundred rounder from shockbottle it is about as fast and painless as it can get.

I did pick up an EGW 7 round checker but found it gauges tighter than my Dillon single round gauge. Since I've used the Dillon successfully for several years, I did not want to mess with my dies just to make the rounds fit the gauge.

Maybe someday when I have lots of spare time I'll play with it, but for now I'll just stick with what works.

Bill

i case gauge every rd of match ammo but not practice ammo.

+1. Have loaded 30,000+ rounds of 9mm with range brass,

and have had Very Few rounds that wouldn't work in

my TruBors and BHP.

Almost all of the rounds that did not allow the guns to

chamber easily, fed properly in practice. :cheers:

Nuff said.

Bill

Same here. And since I got the new hundred rounder from shockbottle it is about as fast and painless as it can get.

"Hundred rounder?"

Yes indeed

Thats a really cool case gauge... Not sure it's $125+ cool, but cool none the less.

It's pricey for sure but after doing all my gauging with a single Dillon for five years this thing is worth every penny.

I case gauge every round I load. The gauge has caught high primers, upside down primers, partial case splits, full case splits, shaved jackets, rolled case mouths, non concentric seated bullets, and even burs around the rims due to extractors. I credit good reloading practices and case gauging to not having a single ammo related malfunction since I started reloading in the late 90's. The multi hole gauges do speed up the task.

I used to use it, but stopped years ago, when I discovered that 99.9% of cases that did not go in the gauge, would work just fine in my guns. So it was a pointless waste of time.

With random brass, shot several times in my SVI open gun, they still work just fine, 100%.

I used to use it, but stopped years ago, when I discovered that 99.9% of cases that did not go in the gauge, would work just fine in my guns. So it was a pointless waste of time.

With random brass, shot several times in my SVI open gun, they still work just fine, 100%.

Same here. All those that fail still work in my Cheely Open gun just fine. But it is an easy way to check for high primers, which by the way, I have never found. Also picks up on split cases quite easily as well.