Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which frame for 1911 build

mach1soldier

I had really good luck with a Wilson combat frame that I had built for a single stack gun.

I can't seem to find any frames from Wilson or I would buy another.

So what other steel or stainless frame have you been really happy with for a custom frame up build?

Is les baer just as good as Wilson?

I have experience with three. The first was a Wilson frame/slide/fit kit that my buddy bought from Brownell's. He brought it to the range to show. It was perfect. The slide to frame fit bore on all required surfaces. The slide had to be tapped onto the frame. Machining was awesome.

My STI forged frame was a bear to finish. First, they had not blasted all the scale off from hardening. The trigger track had serious chatter marks from broaching. I can't tell you how many hours it took with a trigger track stone to smooth it out enough so the trigger would glide. Dimensionally, it was perfect. The matching slide, not fitted, was perfect. The bottom of the slide had .006" of extra material, so be prepared to have it milled, or file a lot.

The third is the Caspian frame and fitted slide I just received. The finish work on the Caspian slide will be minimal. There are what I'll describe as chatter marks of the outside top edges of the rails. Since it is an investment cast frame, that shouldn't be. A few strokes with a file will cure that. I had the factory so a slide/frame fit. It is abysmal. They took too much material off of the bottom of the slide and the frame rails are too thin up/down and left/right. Worse, they are not planar. The rail with measured across the frame goes from .746" at the front of the rails to .7515" in the middle to .7474" at the rear. When installed and in the battery position, you can move the slide left and right, up and down and rock it. It is a lot worse in the recoil position. It is going back.

Added later: after I saw my buddy's Wilson kit I immediately went online to order one at Brownell's. They were sold out. I called Wilson and they told me they were so backed up with their own orders they could not predict when they would make frame and slide components available again. He guessed it would be a really, really long time.

Edited by zzt

Update: I called Caspian. They sounded genuinely surprised. They said their usual complaint was the fit was too tight, not loose and wobbly. They are issuing a call tag. They said they would fit a new slide if possible, or replace the receiver if not.

I forgot to include this in my previous post. When I couldn't get the Wilson frame/slide I looked to Les Baer. I was warned off them by two people who had built guns using their frames. I was told they were a bit rough and required a good deal of handwork.

In another life I was a tool & die maker, so maybe I'm being too fussy, I really don't have much tolerance for bad machining, tool marks or poor surface finish. If it takes more than 15 minutes to completely polish a trigger track, for example, the machining was bad or the surface finish poor.

I'm surprised no one mentioned the Nighthawk frame available from Brownells for $445. I built a backup comp gun last year and since the Wilson kits & frames were sold out I purchased the Nighthawk frame. Had to remove a couple of burrs but other than that I'm extremely please with it.

http://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/frame-parts/frames/1911-frame-prod55445.aspx

I do all my own machining and gun work.

I have built many 1911's using Les Baer, STI, Caspian and Nighthawk. NONE have been perfect but that is what building a gun is all about. If you want perfect buy a complete gun. All oversize frames need to be fitted and refined otherwise what is the point.

I will NEVER warn people off of a Les Baer. He builds fantastic stuff and plenty of meat. I am sorry you had some bad experiences but your sample size is very small. Feel free to stop by the Home Built CNC thread to see a few of the guns I have built using said frames.

Glad caspian is taking care of you.

Edited by StraightUp_OG

SU_OG, I don't have a problem fitting slide to frame, or barrels, or any other part. And I certainly don't have any problem with stoning, polishing or any other handwork. I have all the tools. Refining is what building your own is all about. However, sometimes you cannot because tooling marks are so deep you cannot remove enough metal to eliminate, or the surface finish was too poor. Chatter marks are just bad machining, no matter which way you slice it.. And those things are not what I expect when buying components that are touted to be the creme de la creme.

So I just built a 1911 over the couple days off for Christmas. You can check the thread out over here

I used an 80% from Tactical Machine... lets just say its rough. If it were not for the fact that I live in CA, Caspian or STI would be the way I would go if I could not find any Wilson Combat... which I think personally are the nicest off the shelf but hard to find.

Thats not to say you cant build a nice gun with the TM 80%, you can, I am just spending a lot more time with the files.

Buy a Caspian, Gary and the gang are the best in the industry to deal with, they support the shooting world, and they stand behind their products. You also would be surprised who's frames are actually Caspians at heart.

Buy a Caspian, Gary and the gang are the best in the industry to deal with, they support the shooting world, and they stand behind their products. You also would be surprised who's frames are actually Caspians at heart.

I'll bite. Like who?

I have had one Caspian built and have built a second one myself. I have also used Caspian slides on a couple of different builds. I have always had good luck with these products. I would not hesitate to recommend them to anyone for a single stack build.

SU_OG, point taken. I own custom pistols and the workmanship is a point of fascination. The most beautiful pistol I've ever owned is a custom Sig 9mm P226 USPSA two-tone. It was a year in the making at the Custom shop, and it was flawless, no matter how granular you want to go. That build is what I aspire to in mine. Beauty AND function.

I'm happy your builds worked out. I'm disappointed that mine involve what I perceive to be manufacturer rejected parts. Although I'd love to own a Bridgeport, or any more modern mill, I don't. So mfgr's that make me spend hours to overcome their shortcomings just piss me off. I've looked at your homegrown CNC milling thread. I'm jealous. What you do with milling, I do by hand. The result is a finer finish, but at 10x+ the time.

Add: Posted after your last post. I took no offense at any of your posts. I'm glad you were fortunate. I was only trying to let the OP know that what "they" promise is not always what you get.

Edited by zzt