Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I have this stupid Kenneth Cole watch KC9110 model I bought last year and the battery seems to be dead.

Anybody know what kind of battery it uses?

The battery has a seal over it and I am sure tearing it off voids the warranty. I have tried contacting the "maker" which is geneva watch but no reply. I don't want to have to spend $30/year ad infinitum to keep a $60 watch going.... which is what it would cost to mail it back and get it done.

post-271-0-56487000-1419312081_thumb.jpg

Edited by bountyhunter

you are worried about the warranty on a 60 dollar watch?

you have the back open which is the hard part here...

I'd peel up the cover and read the battery number.

mail order a couple if radio shack does not have it.

the voltage is the important thing. there are cells with 3 volt and 1.5 volt.

the number states size and chemistry...

there is some interchangeability... alkaline a76 for a silver s76 or 375....

things like that.

luck

miranda

I ripped the seal off and found a CR2032 Lithium coin cell. That's the good news. The bad news is that a new battery did not get the watch running. It's dead after a long life of 18 months being worn about one day a week.

I called the watch maker which is geneva watch and ran in to a looping voice mail jail. Left a message and got no response. Sent an email and got no response.

Looks like the lifetime warranty is not going to be worth much......

Edited by bountyhunter

After 18 months, your $60, and black-hole customer service, I'd just blow it off and buy a new watch (for less) and go with that. Sometimes the frustration and stress just isn't worth it.

Although it may not help you any, I bought a watch at Wal*Mart about 15+ years ago for $9.95 (probably about $20 in today's money), have replaced the battery just twice, it's waterproof to 100 feet in depth, shell and band made in China, movement made in Japan. It's literally the most reliable watch I've ever owned and keeps perfect time. And the face is readable without my glasses (that's nearly the most important part).

Yeah, I have a cheapo digital watch that's 10 years old and keeps perfect time. I just collect wrist watches that I think are cool. I like the analog type which have a digital secondary back display. It's not like getting ripped off for $60 is going to break me, it just bugs me that companies put warranties on junk that is full of defects....

WHOA! That last sentence gave me a deja vu moment and made me flash back to the new SW627 I bought a couple of years ago..... and it was WAYYYY more than $60.

The warranty must be for the lifetime of the watch, not the owner. :angry:

Funny you would mention that..... I bought a TIVO premiere box and was discussing their "Plan prices" and they said that the lifetime plan was $500. I was actually going to buy that one because I watch TV a lot and plan to live another 20 years..... until the guy mentioned that the "lifetime" in lifetime plan was just the lifetime of the converter box (which average a few years life).

I said no thanks.....

I ripped the seal off and found a CR2032 Lithium coin cell. That's the good news. The bad news is that a new battery did not get the watch running. It's dead after a long life of 18 months being worn about one day a week.

I called the watch maker which is geneva watch and ran in to a looping voice mail jail. Left a message and got no response. Sent an email and got no response.

I'm glad you took a photo of the seal.

it says to short the two pins.

... dunno why that is... I'd try that before I chucked it.

I'm glad you took a photo of the seal.

it says to short the two pins.

... dunno why that is... I'd try that before I chucked it.

It resets the digital watch. I did it about five times. No problem with the dig watch, it's the analog movement that's stone dead.

post-271-0-07022600-1419485469_thumb.jpg

Edited by bountyhunter

The warranty must be for the lifetime of the watch, not the owner. :angry:

Funny you would mention that..... I bought a TIVO premiere box and was discussing their "Plan prices" and they said that the lifetime plan was $500. I was actually going to buy that one because I watch TV a lot and plan to live another 20 years..... until the guy mentioned that the "lifetime" in lifetime plan was just the lifetime of the converter box (which average a few years life).

I said no thanks.....

Funny you mention TIVO. I used to work for Sony and back in 2000 I bought one of the first Tivos. The option back then was a monthly charge ( like $20/month ) or $250 for a product lifetime service. I opted for the lifetime thinking as long as it works for a year, its paid for. That damn thing still works! I don't use it since I now have Cable company DVR's on every TV, but i hook it up every once in a while to see if it still works, and sure enough it does.

My wife got me a $50 Timex for $5.00 after rebates, last

year for Christmas. :surprise:

Has everything I need in a watch, and has lost about one

second per month. :bow: Good to 100 meters.

(No, I'll never know if that is true or not).

Love it. And her. :cheers:

I'll bet the watch is on time more than your wife is... :devil:

My wife got me a $50 Timex for $5.00 after rebates, last

year for Christmas. :surprise:

Has everything I need in a watch, and has lost about one

second per month. :bow: Good to 100 meters.

(No, I'll never know if that is true or not).

Love it. And her. :cheers:

I'll bet the watch is on time more than your wife is... :devil:

hohohohho

you are going to get us all in trouble...

back to the problem watch...

It seems it is broken. send for repair or find another?

anything special about that one?

(a good reason to keep it...)

I've given up on wrist watches.

... I use the phone for time.

miranda

back to the problem watch...

It seems it is broken. send for repair or find another?

anything special about that one?

I don't know if it's "special". Maybe short yellow bus special since it only ran 18 months before it died.

What ticks me off is the "lifetime warranty" which requires you pay $20 plus shipping both ways to use it so you end up paying about $40 to get $60 watch fixed...... some warranty.