Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rotary tumbler with stainless steel media

Whatever happened to a vibratory case cleaner and some walnut shells with nufinish? Dump in 500, wait 3 hours and dump them in the sifter. Cases look pretty much new when they come out.

All of this wet tumble, air dry, heat dry, sunshine dry, oven dry, maybe vibrate to prevent tarnish seems a little silly to me for pistol brass. I can understand being anal about long range rifle brass, but all this work for brass for action pistol confuses me. Does it help anything or is it simply I like new looking brass. Even if it is only for looks I can respect that, but it is not for me.

Whatever happened to a vibratory case cleaner and some walnut shells with nufinish? Dump in 500, wait 3 hours and dump them in the sifter. Cases look pretty much new when they come out.

All of this wet tumble, air dry, heat dry, sunshine dry, oven dry, maybe vibrate to prevent tarnish seems a little silly to me for pistol brass. I can understand being anal about long range rifle brass, but all this work for brass for action pistol confuses me. Does it help anything or is it simply I like new looking brass. Even if it is only for looks I can respect that, but it is not for me.

The air/sun/oven dry is all a personal choise. The main reason I use is to clean the inside of the cases as good as possible. 0 residue at all. It also gets the primer pockets spotless. It gets my brass as clean as possible. For me that goes with a clean gun. No residue on the inside so no pressure difference between the 1st time I load them to the last time. No powder from corn cob or dust or anything like that on the outside to foul up mags. I switched from an ultrasonic that did the same job ( removing all unburnt powder inside and out )but I can use 1000 pieces at a time not 100 with the small one I had AND as a huge bonus my brass looks great from new to 4-5 times loaded. Shiny brass is nice but the clean inside is what I was looking for.

Edited by Open1215

For me it was easy, less noise, no dust, no media to replace eventually and faster.

Dump the washed cases in a sieve, rinse them and let airdry 1 day will do it if not 2.

The cases being shiny, insides clean as well as the primer pockets is just a bonus.

Want to have your brass stay shiny and not tarnish quickly after wet tumbling with SS pins? It's easy ---- loose the dishwashing detergent and use a bit of automotive wash & wax liquid. The micro thin wax coating not only keeps the brass from tarnishing but makes sizing easier and the expander ball slip easier through the neck of bottleneck rifle cases. Give it a try & report.

One word, "VOLUME"!!!! Home built mine. 10"dia pvc pipe 29" long. Can run 20lbs of brass, 25lbs of pins, two gallons of water, one cup of auto wash and wax, and two teaspoons of limashine. 1 1/2 hours spin and 30min labor to rinse it all. Will say switching to the auto wash and wax keeps the brass looking great. Would not recommend going bigger, a round cyclinder at over 65lb can be awkward to handle safely.

I would think Dawn. I use an ultra sonic cleaner 15min with a brass cleaner concentrate, let dry then tumble for an hour or so with Nufinish. Shinny as new brass inside too. Thanks. But I do like the cement mixer. Lol

What brand car wash do youze guys use?

Turtle wax Zip wash and wax

Thanks man Ill give that a shot with the next load. Fortunately I only have to tumble once a month because my tumbler is huge. I made one of the home made ones like Bigdawg.

Edited by louu

Odd question. With the wash and wax. I know it's designed for a spot free dry. Have you noticed any waxy residue?

Yes, but I just consider that lubrication and I've eliminated a step. I've cleaned well over 50 K this way without any problem.

Edited by Bkreutz

I take my brass to my friends house. He has the wet tumbler with steel pins. He uses a magnet thing that he got off of Amazon its really to pick up nuts and bolts with but it works for what he needs. I like it so much I decided to by my own tumbler. So I did

I have revised the process a few times, but my advantage is I can do it in the house with zero dust.

The fact that I have brand new looking brass is a bonus, but not my main reason for doing so. It doesn't matter if I dig it out of the mud or pick it up off of the floor of an indoor range, it looks great. It also keeps the press cleaner due to no media residue on the dies or (now) in the case feeder.

I do it 2 pounds at a time and only tumble for an hour per load.

Edited by AJE

Thanks for the response to my questions above. For me the noise and dust with vibratory is not a problem, I clean in a detached garage. Also, replacing media has been a non issue. Lizard litter has lasted me a long time and works great. I get the volume issue, if I could do 20lbs at once I would only have to clean maybe once or twice a year. What struck me the most was the issue of a cleaner press. I always have to clean the anvil on my 550. Most of my ammo has dented primers from a piece of walnut. They always shoot, but it would give me piece of mind. Maybe the frankford arsenol kit is in my future. Thanks!!!