Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wilson Beretta for Production

Stony Lane

With a unique slide/frame combination and unique frame machining. It is advertised as limited production, with a production figure below the threshold. Not saying others haven't done it, but that doesn't mean it complies with the rules.

I mean I get them pulling this stuff in IDPA, but in USPSA?

Wilson posted on BF that basically USPSA is doing the same thing that IDPA did, lumping all the 92's with slide mounted safeties/decockers together, as long as they have factory parts from other approved guns.

So yeah, it's just another 92.

Also for what it's worth, a Wilson rep on 1911forum.com says they've now upped their order to 2,000 guns.

He said the gun was approved because the purchase orders have been placed.

Ordered does not equal completed and available to the general public.

"— A handgun may be approved and added to the USPSA Approved Production Handgun List after the NROI Manufacturer’s Declaration form stating that a minimum of 2000 complete handguns have been manufactured and available to the general public has been submitted and NROI has inspected the handgun for compliance."

Also, the IDPA requirement is 2k annual production. Not sure how they could have claimed SSP compliant with the first 1k. If they don't make 2k next year then that means that it would not be eligible for SSP in 2016?

• 3 weeks later...

You mean like the 92, 92S, 92SB, etc. all on the approved list have?

This is the crap that drives new shooters elsewhere and makes plenty of long term shooters shoot elsewhere.

Nit picking over existing features that offer no advantage. We are not talking about barrel bushings or compensators or SA triggers.

They had to add a line saying INOX version of any of the models were good to go, because it did not used to say INOX and nit pickers were saying it was not approved.

Do we need to add a line for the new INOXs with black controls because they look different?

With manufactures putting every possible allowed advantage into single models marketed specifically for production, what is the point of being assholes over a gun that comes from the factory with and approved list model number on it that has no features that are not already on a dozen approved models from the same line?

Some M9s have the tradition grip, some made it out of the factory with radiused backstraps?

Do we have to hassle shooters over them because they changed the shape of the back strap?

I have one 92FS with the old grip, and a newer one with the radius.

All of the features of the gun exist on currently approved models.

Welcome to the production division rule set. A gun not on the list makes more sense than a gun with a small spot of grip tape in the wrong place. Both are not legal in the division.

Thank you. It sucks but it's the same thing that makes a G17 frame with a G34 frame illegal in Production. I am admittedly still butt hurt because of the IDPA double standards. Until Beretta/WC 96G Brigadier Tactical shows up on the NROI approved Production gun list it is illegal despite what Bill Wilson or his websites says.

Your mention of Glocks also is a good point. I know two good shooters that have said screw USPSA if they can't shoot their G17s with grips sanded down to hold G19 mags. (they want to shoot production with what they carry)

Is a pretty outdated rule given the modularity of modern firearms.

For example the SIG P320 is designed such that the serialized part of the gun is in a removable module that is completely independent of the frame, grip, and of course slide. It's designed to allow the user to easily allow a change in calibers, slide length, grip length, and grip size. They even sell size and caliber exchange kits. However, by strict interpretation unless I buy one that I already a full sized, 9mm it would not be Production legal for me to use any serialized fire control unit from any other SIG and throw a full sized slide and grip frame module on it.