Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

147 vs 124 vs 135

Mike41

I read where some believe the 147 gr is the softest shooting in terms of recoil while other competition shooters like snappy feel of the 124 gr bullets. I am talking of 125 to 130 PF loads. So would the 135 gr be a good compromise or what do people generally think about 135 gr bullets?

Also, do coated bullets like BBI cause cleaning problems in barrels, specifically a glock g34 stock barrell?

Thanks,

Mike

i don't think I'm good enough to know which one I shoot better...and I can't tell much difference when I shoot them either...

I just happen to be running 125 LCN with 3.6 of TG right ow (which is laser accurate from an XDM 5.25).

The only reason I might select 124/5 over 147 or the other way around is powder availability and what I personally have worked up for my pistols. I do have a good load for 147 using WSF, and I have a good load for 124/5 with BE and TG... but I haven't worked up a TG or BE 147, etc.

Edited by nwhpfan

If you are undecided on bullet weight preference, sample packs are helpful. In reference to coated bullets causing cleaning problems, I shoot a CZ (absolutely zero residue from coated bullets) so I don't have personal experience with the Polygonal rifling. But, my shooting buddy runs a G34 with coated and loves them.

When I switched to 9mm from 40 minor in my glocks I shot the Bear Creek 125gr RN Moly bullet under Tightgroup... mostly because I didn't know any better. It was snappy, smokey and certainly not ideal. I switched to Solo 1000 and the load got softer and less smokey. I used that load to work my way from B->Master and it worked fine. I tried the 147gr TC bullet when I first started (before solo) but didn't have the right powder to really take advantage of it.

Since then I've tried 147gr FMJs and the Bear Creek 135gr RN Moly bullet and I can tell the difference. I have an SV 9mm limited gun that was built with the lightest slide possible and bushing barrel, yet has a steel frame. It's heavy in the hand, but has a light muzzle. The 125gr loads really seem to flip a lot in it but the 147gr FMJ loads with Solo 1000 shoot super soft. It's all I'll shoot in the gun, it made that much of a difference.

In the glock, I could tell the difference between 125, 135 and 147 and settled on the 135gr. It was in between as far as recoil goes, softer than the 125gr, not as soft as 147gr, but it was cheaper than the 147, which was a big selling point for me at the time. The Glock, being lighter than the SV by a good margin, I have to grip harder to keep it tracking correctly. At the end of the day, I can shoot either load well once I get used to it, but the 147gr is softer. Whichever you decide on, buy a ton and shoot a lot without changing anything.

Oh and I shot the Bear Creek Moly bullets in a Lone Wolf barrel. I did try to shoot Moly bullets in the stock barrel and got a lot of leading. I've heard much better things about the coated bullets, but I don't have any first hand experience with them.

I prefer 147gr for two reasons. I seem to get the best accuracy out of 147gr lead (coated or not) over the other two, and loaded to minor power factor my sights barely move off target. I tried two different manufacturers sample packs of 135gr coated lead but just couldnt get a load I was happy with accuracy wise, they shot plenty soft though.

I shot 124-125 and 147 when I was shooting producton. I could certainly perceive a difference when comparing them side by side, but my scores showed absolutly no difference. I went with the most accurate load. I usually tell people to shoot which ever one they think "feels" the best if differences in accuracy are not an issue.

Edited by Ron Ankeny

FWIW--I started with 124gr then gave 500 147gr a go, thought they made the slide feel sluggish, so I went back to 124gr, saw the 135gr got 500 of them shot'em and really liked them. The 135gr shot as accurate as the 124gr, the recoil felt softer, and the slide felt fast enough. Now after I shoot through my last 1000 or so 124gr I'm buying 135gr. The 135gr use less powder than the 124gr to boot. I used Bayou Bullets for 124, 135, & 147gr. This is out of a M&P 9Pro and a 9mm Kimber Target II.