Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fast or slow burning powder - which is better

jimbullet

I am not sure if this is the right forum so bear with me...

I load 40 S&W for IPSC shooting and so far have been using fast powders, such as Win231 and Titegroup which gives a snappy recoil.

I havent had the opportunity to use slower burning powders and had me wonder if the slower burning powder tend to make softer shooting whilst achieving the desired power factor.

Has anyone used slow burning ones such as Win540/ HS6?

Which would be better - fast or slow and what would be the advantage over the other?

Would appreciate any thoughts....

Thanks

Jim, current theory is that heavy bullets and fast powders produce

less perceived recoil - use fewer grains of powder - The

preferred powder is N320, but WW231 is pretty fast.

You didn't mention if you're using heavy or light bullets.

If you get a chance, try reading some of the old posts of

FORUMS: Reloading: .40 caliber.

You'll learn the entire thought process in a half hour. :cheers:

I mostly shoot lead truncated cone 180gr bullets and use e3 for both minor and major. I have experimented with N340 for major and like it a lot. I'll be developing loads using heavy plate bullets this winter and expect N340 will do the trick.

BTW, my e3 loads od 139, 150 and 166PF all consistently chrono with single digit SDs.

Jim,

Slower powders hit harder in the hands than faster powders at the same PF. If you want a softer impulse, try a heavier bullet (200 or 220), keep in mind with a heavier bullet you need to drop the powder charge way down and work back up with a chrono watching for flat primers and finishing gains in velocity. 231 and TG should be able to make major with 200s, but depending on your OAL, with 220s they may reach their limit before you make major.

I mostly shoot lead truncated cone 180gr bullets and use e3 for both minor and major. I have experimented with N340 for major and like it a lot. I'll be developing loads using heavy plate bullets this winter and expect N340 will do the trick.

BTW, my e3 loads od 139, 150 and 166PF all consistently chrono with single digit SDs.

I shot area 2 with 5.7 gr n340, 180 LTC moly. 181 PF, no pressure issues noted, recoil felt the same as 5.3 grains, which was close to 165 PF.

also just chrono some minor rounds, with same powder. 4.0 gr landed around 720 fps, 125 pf. accuracy was decent, shot a little low. soft recoil.

So fast burning is better.

On another note, have you guys been experiencing muzzle flash? Just a noob question but does muzzle flash denote a very high pressure load - or doesnt matter. I just find that my pistol is a fire breather than others....