Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1100 CM Owners...Ammo Choices?

Hello 1100 CM Owners,

Was wondering what store bought factory loads you guys are using in your CM's? I tried some Fiocchi "Target" #8's with a listed velocity of 1150 fps, and had a few short cycles with them. Should I go to a hotter load, or just break this brand new gun in? So I was curious what loads you all prefer and use...my club doesn't allow shot bigger than 7 1/2, so recommendations in this range would be great!

Simply opening the ports will allow and 1100 to run most everything. Poke around and do a little searching and you should find several threads on the issue. I also found that my 1100 needed to be well lubricated during break in. 700-1000 rounds later, it's flawless.

Benny,

Yes...I should have mentioned that...they were 1 oz. I'll give some 1 1/8 oz a try and see what happens. I'd hate to have to open up the ports on a gun designed for 3-gun already! So should I be looking for something with 3 drams with 1 1/8 oz of 7 1/2 or 8 shot?

When my 1100 CM was new (last year), it wouldn't cycle the bolt and reload on just about any ammo I tried except for slugs and expensive tactical loads. I even sent off an e-mail to Remington who promptly replied that they would be glad to look at it if I shipped it back to the factory or an authorized repair station.

To make a long story short, I decided there had to be something I could do to fix the problem, and not wanting to pay an arm and a leg to ship it out, I examined the gas system and discovered that the rubber gas seal ring had a slight flat area on one side. It looked as though the ring was either defective when they installed it, or somehow got crushed when they assembled the barrrel onto the receiver.

I ordered two from Brownell's and intalled one when they arrived. This shotgun now performs with just about anything I put in it including light trap loads.

I use this gun in IPSC & IDPA 3 gun matches on paper and steel targets. We use slugs and buckshot, but mostly AA Sporting Clays loads (1300 fps).

Eric,

What does it take to open up the ports? A standard drill bit? If so what size? Any recommendations,  or somewhere to find instructions?

You'll need a set of letter drills. There only "rule" for drilling them out is that .180 is just about the absolute max. I think mine are about .108 and I'm probably going to take them up another step.

I examined the gas system and discovered that the rubber gas seal ring had a slight flat area on one side. It looked as though the ring was either defective when they installed it, or somehow got crushed when they assembled the barrrel onto the receiver.

I ordered two from Brownell's and intalled one when they arrived. This shotgun now performs with just about anything I put in it including light trap loads.

Yes, and having a fresh o-ring can really help. My 1100 (and most with drilled ports) will cycle w/o an o-ring. I do use an o-ring as an insurance policy. I started selling o-rings in bulk as a service because I and everyone else hate paying $5 for the Brownell's ones. When they're that expensive, the temptation is to run an old o-ring longer than you should - which is really bad because if the o-ring breaks, it will jam your gun. You can also buy o-rings at the local hydraulic shop, but you'll probably end up with Buna N o-rings like I did, which wear out pretty quick.

/Blatant Commercial Advertisement

(I do love Brownells, however. They are really dedicated to USPSA and 3-gun. I have a giant range bag to prove it. :) )

Gun shot absolutely perfect today! Ran 50 rounds of Rem Gun Club 2 3/4" 3dram 1 1/8oz #8's, and 25 rounds of Rem Low Recoil Slugs. A lot happier with this gun now! Don't know that I'll even worry about opening up the ports now.

:D

I like to open my 1100/1187 barrels up two number drill sizes....I turn them by hand with a small chuck which works better for me than a pin vise.... I like to leave a drill bit in one of the holes so I can hold the angle correct.... finish up with a small needle file to remove any burr that may be in the barrel.... regards Les 3 drams equivalent 1 1/8 or better..... no Winchester promo stuff

I just did some last minute experimenting with mine..

Ports are factory, I'll be drilling them out a little this week

WalMart:

Federal - 3 Dram, 1 1/8", runs 100%

Winchester - 3 Dram, 1 1/8", no good - 100% failures

Winchester - AA Light Trap (2 3/4 dram), fairly reliable, but not 100%

• 2 weeks later...

I've always used the Federal $2.98/box from Wal-Mart on my CM and never (knock-on-wood) had a problem. I love how it performs and always believe in "If it works, don't dick with it". But I also want to be ready for the unexpected and to prevent any problems. So, I might drill the gas ports to be on the safe side; in case I have to use different ammo.