Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bench Cleanup - Powder Vac

SW39

Last Amazon purchase I got a Rocket Blower that rtp mentioned in post #12 on this thread.

Yeah, that things works great! Plus it looks cool sitting on the bench. Thanks for the tip!

• 2 weeks later...

I use a vacuum. I hope the sky doesn't fall on my head. Humor aside, canned air and most other canned things that spray out use propane as the propellant. Be thoughtful about where you squirt them. Do not use canned air to dust out anything with a burner or heating element. Tends to muss up your hair when the pool of propane woofs at you.

Poking thru a half filled vacuum bag for those brass pins really sucks! :(

Where were you two days ago? !?

The crevice like attachment on my vac is just thin enough that it can't ingest the locator pins. I have vacuumed without that attachment and had to go fishing for the locator pins so I always make sure that attachment is in place.

I use an air compressor vacuum - Grizzly T23090 for about $25 from Amazon. This way I don't have to worry about static, whether I'm picking up powder or primers. Only downside is that you do need about 90PSI to get sufficient vacuum.

• 1 month later...

I saw a picture of someone's bench where they had the hose from the mini shop vac going into a plastic jar(maybe around 1 gallon size), with another hose coming out and going up to the bench with the crevice tool attached. I assume it was to collect the powder/primers before they got sucked into the actual vac. I could not see into the jar, but a small filter(maybe even a screen) would keep any particles from making it to the vac. It looked like a pretty good design.

• 8 months later...

I saw a picture of someone's bench where they had the hose from the mini shop vac going into a plastic jar(maybe around 1 gallon size), with another hose coming out and going up to the bench with the crevice tool attached. I assume it was to collect the powder/primers before they got sucked into the actual vac. I could not see into the jar, but a small filter(maybe even a screen) would keep any particles from making it to the vac. It looked like a pretty good design.

This is what i did, my vac is about 15ft away in the next room, mounted on the wall. I hard piped it to the bench overhead and have it running down to the floor into a 5 gal bucket that i drilled holes in the top. One pvc pipe in, one flex hose out to the working end. Nothing makes it to the vac, i empty the bucket after every few vacs so nothing builds up in there.

I did have a static problem when i first started using it, but learned to store the hose away from the press after i was done cleaning or trimming cases and that took care of it.

Just realized this post is pretty old! haha, oh welll

Edited by Captkev

• 2 weeks later...

We went thru this subject in a thread, when I vacumed up some important parts.

Use a shop vac that is designed for wet locations. It will keep the stuff you suck up far from the electric motor. Or you can make a numatic vacum, I use one at work since air is easyer to find than electricity. If you have an air compressor it is easy to make.

I run my presses, well I hate to say a lot and dirty. Not that I mean to but I just load so much I never take the time to do a good cleaning after ever session. Strange that I never had the reloader fail, stop or do anything wrong. I know you really should clean the things. In any event I use a paint brush on the press and table then a broom and dust pan for the floor. Once a week I will do a complete job then use shop vac after the brush and broom.

I wouldn't follow in my step foots as far as running the machine as dirty as I can do some times. Even I think I let too much primer dust build up on my Dillon 650 primer feed.