Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

why do more pro 3-gunners use scopes rather than red dot & magnifi

Gadela08

AND......many variable power scopes have illuminated reticles and BDC lines. Best of both worlds. I haven't seen very many red dot's with BDC.

EOTech 557

49673.jpg

I just built a small light weight 16" rifle for the hoser type matches out to 200yards. I use this Eotech. I have found it is very fast for quick up close shots. Here is the model and reticle.

gerritm

Yes, very few. Two models of Eotech.

• 1 month later...

Even the pros have to offset their costs. Check out Jessie Tischauser's cost analysis of last season's expenses to shoot the matches he went to if you doubt that.

I would like to see that is on BENOS?

http://www.boomershooter.com/forums/index.php/topic/17103-cost-of-being-a-pro-3-gun-competitor-2014/#entry201935

I think a lot of those posting in favor of variable optics are forgetting that there are only 3 or 4 variables on the market that are truly "good" and they all cost more than an Eotech/Magnifier combo. You can get the Eotech/3X combo for right at $1K. The Leupold VX-6 Multigun is $1,300 as is the Vortex 1-6. Then, the Swarovski is $2,500 and I guess you could throw the S&B Short Dot in there somewhere too.

I'm all ears on a sub $1K variable that excels in 3gun. As for me, our local matches are all sub 100yds. I did well with an Aimpoint T-1, then tried the Bushnell 1-4 Throwdown (not a good experience for me) and am now going to try the Eotech EXPS 3-0 w/G33 3X magnifier. There's really only 1 stage with longer targets (steel in an array from 50-100yds) and I figure I'll flip the magnifier in for that stage.

I would take the Primary Arms 1-6x ($350 with mount, give or take) over an EOTech holosight/magnifier combo. Then again, even when I started out with an EOTech I thought paying hundreds of dollars for their 3x magnifier was a waste of money and I bought a cheap Primary Arms 5x which worked well enough. If you really want to get into the game shooting an EOTech, then the best choice is to shoot Irons (or whatever version of the 1x red dot division match rules provide).

I'm all ears on a sub $1K variable that excels in 3gun.

I would definitely take an Burris XTR, MTAC, Viper PST, TR24, etc instead of a EOtech setup. I would have money for the mount and with some of them money left for a case of ammo.

Excels at 3gun? Well thats more on the shooter, but I do think they are better then a eotech plus multiplier combo. If you never shoot past 100yards, I don't know why you even need the magnifier.

Edited by Vlad

I would definitely take an Burris XTR, MTAC, Viper PST, TR24, etc instead of a EOtech setup. I would have money for the mount and with some of them money left for a case of ammo.

Excels at 3gun? Well thats more on the shooter, but I do think they are better then a eotech plus multiplier combo. If you never shoot past 100yards, I don't know why you even need the magnifier.

I probably don't need it and as I mentioned, I did quite well (2/40) running a 10.3" SBR with an Aimpoint micro. I've since built a 16" gun with an SJC Titan comp and it is faster and flatter than the SBR. I tried a 1-4 on the new build just to see what all the fuss was about, but may end up right back with an Aimpoint. I got a Pro-deal on the Eotech, so I'm spending quite a bit less than market on the setup.

Different strokes for different folks. I have a buddy who rocks an Eotech and loves it. I used an Aimpoint for years, but now prefer the Pris, one buddy is a Swaro guy, two others use the Vortex. It does not matter, pick one and shoot it for a couple of seasons, or long enough to decide you don't like it. We do this for fun, no need getting wrapped around the axle of what gear you are using, especially when your performance is mostly based on your shooting and moving skill, and less about the gear.

Everything Vlad said!

What I'd add is that the Viper PST is a great scope with a similar reticle to the EOTech if you're looking to maintain similar equipment across two different guns.

To those who say that a 1x scope is as fast as a red dot, though... I have to disagree GIVEN A PARTICULAR SITUATION. As somebody who shoots rimfire rifle on steel, I feel confident in saying that a dot is faster than a 1x on close shots, particularly the first shot, because you can get an accurate first shot off before getting a 100% perfect rifle mount/cheek weld on a dot-- not so much with a scope. After the first shot, though, the mount is all adjusted correctly for a scope and you're good to go so the two are fairly even after that point. Given A5H556's competition parameters (all less than 100 yards) I'd go with a dot also... But I also personally wouldn't bother with a magnifier. Now, if there's any possibility of shooting a match beyond 100 yards, I'll take my PST or the new Burris XTR 1-5x or the like as the distance gains outweigh (or at least balance out) the speed advantage of a dot up close.

Edited by jkrispies

• 2 weeks later...

The dots on the Eotech probably work fine for shooting at something the size of people, but it's hard to make out the dot and the target when its a 12" flasher at 400.

I can personally attest to the utter and compete truth to this. LOL

and me too.

my 3-gun matches have a 10" flashers at 200,250,300,350,&400

• 3 weeks later...

I think my bushnell 1-6 is better than my Eotech on 1x

On 1x there is just a thin black circle (scope tube) in the way.

On the EOTECH there is a thin plastic square, a gap, then the alluminum hood, all in the sight picture. And on some the battery cap and cable.

The bushnell SFP rectical looks like a eotech at 1x and has mils at all other magnifications it is the best of both worlds

The Multi dots on the eotech where designed to be used with a magnifier.

Edited by Finbox

At close range nothing is as fast as a C-more with a 2 moa dot and no other tube or glass to get in the way . fast on 300 yard target too.

I agree with the above post. For inside of 100 yards I prefer a dot. There is no tube obstructing your none dominant eye so you can see your next target more clearly. I shoot in tac ops for the prize table. Havent shot my dot gun since I started shooting major matches!