Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RL550 issues at station one

When loading 45 acp I must tip cartridge towards me or else the case will not enter the carbide die. It doesn't matter whether I have any cases in the other three stations or not. The case will butt into bottom of die unless I manually position it with my finger. If I continue the stroke without the manually positioning the case just gets crushed. My other dillon presses do not have this issue when loading with the same dies. The paperclip springy thing is set to hold case properly. Please advise what I need to do to resolve this issue.

1.Make sure that when you tighten the sizing die you have a case in the die to be sure it is centered

2. Make sure you have the correct shell plate

3. Check the alignment of the shell plate platform.

4.Make sure you have the shell plate tightened properly and it is the correct plate.

RCBS carbide die

Often that die is the worst brand for not lining the case up with it in a Dillon press. Because it doesn't have a nice, rounded chamfer on the inside of the carbide ring, like the Dillon sizing die does.

The ejector wire should not quite touch the case rim. It should be clear by .001-.003", about the thickness of a piece of paper. Push down on the edge of the shellplate between stations 2 and 3. If it feels springy, then the shellplate bolt needs to be tighter. Also, have the die lock ring loose, run a fired case up into the size die, and with the case up in the die tighten the lock ring. This ensures that the die is centered in the toolhead.

The ejector wire should not quite touch the case rim. It should be clear by .001-.003", about the thickness of a piece of paper.

When adjusting "the paper clip" I'm reminded of the Star Wars line "we only need to keep them from escaping." It needs to not quite be touching the brass, or it'll do more harm than good.