Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shot My Tactical Sport for the First Time

Bart Solo

Last year I shot a Glock 35 in limited. I realized I needed a real race gun if I intended to keep up. After considering all the options, I realized USPSA is not my primary shooting sport. I am a cowboy shooter most of the year. I just shoot USPSA in the winter. I need some winter work on my Rugers and maybe a new 73 rifle so I really didn't want to spend 3 grand 2011 race gun. Looking around I thought I would buy some kind of less expensive almost race gun for fun. I bought a CZ Tactical sport. I didn't expect much. Just something approximating a limited race gun. I just got back from the range. I put my first 55 rounds on target. I have to say I had no idea you could get that kind of performance out of a $1,100 pistol.

The trigger is unexpectedly light and crisp. Sort of like one of my race Rugers. It surprised me once or twice. The weight completely tames the 40 S&W. The extra length in the barrel gives it a long sight radius. It is very accurate. Much more accurate than the Glock 35. Its accuracy reminds me of my tuned 1911 but the trigger is amazing.

All I really need is a fiber optic front sight, maybe an adjustable rear sight, an extended thumb safety and maybe thinner grips and I will be all set.

This gun has got to be some sort of secret. I can't understand why you would want to spend twice as much for something with similar performance.

Edited by Bart Solo

Don't tell anyone about it or let your buddies shoot it, they're hard enough to find as it is. I had high expectations when I bought mine and I was still blown away. Its the only pistol I've shot that I can regularly hit an 8" plate at 50yds with.

Glad to see you got one!! It is absolutely a lot of fun for the money all things considered...even after a couple of gamer upgrades.

I've got a Czechmate magwell I didn't end up using if you don't go the CZC magwell and extended base pads/springs route. Or some factory base pads I trimmed if you want to see how those fit the czc magwells.

I lost it when I read "race Rugers."

Don't do cowboy shooting do you. Every shooting sport has race guns. In cowboy shooting race tuned single action Ruger Vaqueros really exist and people spend a bundle buying them. The same with short stroked race tuned 1873 clone rifles and double barreled shotguns. There are smiths who make good livings making cowboy guns race ready. Try shooting 4 guns (shotgun unloaded at the beginning and end) in less than 13-18 seconds (10 rounds out of a lever action rifle, 10 rounds out of 2 single action revolvers, and 4 plus shotgun rounds that starts and finishes unloaded) all with movement while wearing funny clothes, and you will know why so many good young shooters come out of cowboy shooting.

Edited by Bart Solo

Last year I shot a Glock 35 in limited. I realized I needed a real race gun if I intended to keep up. After considering all the options, I realized USPSA is not my primary shooting sport. I am a cowboy shooter most of the year. I just shoot USPSA in the winter. I need some winter work on my Rugers and maybe a new 73 rifle so I really didn't want to spend 3 grand 2011 race gun. Looking around I thought I would buy some kind of less expensive almost race gun for fun. I bought a CZ Tactical sport. I didn't expect much. Just something approximating a limited race gun. I just got back from the range. I put my first 55 rounds on target. I have to say I had no idea you could get that kind of performance out of a $1,100 pistol.

The trigger is unexpectedly light and crisp. Sort of like one of my race Rugers. It surprised me once or twice. The weight completely tames the 40 S&W. The extra length in the barrel gives it a long sight radius. It is very accurate. Much more accurate than the Glock 35. Its accuracy reminds me of my tuned 1911 but the trigger is amazing.

All I really need is a fiber optic front sight, maybe an adjustable rear sight, an extended thumb safety and maybe thinner grips and I will be all set.

This gun has got to be some sort of secret. I can't understand why you would want to spend twice as much for something with similar performance.

Hey Bart, I've been thinking about a TS 40, but as a CAS shooter over the last 18 years I'm still trying to master the CZC SP01 9mm 1st. I got a little tired of the big close mode the sport has resorted to so I thought I'd give this challenge a try.

And yes there are Race Cowboy Guns. As a builder of 73 rifles, Winchester 97's, and SKB's, the smiths in this sport have no idea how lucky they are to actually start out with a good gun to begin with.

I've built hundreds of rifles and shotguns and sent them around the world so I'm used to starting out with a basic kit and turning it into a gun that is expected to do things it was never intended to do.

Have fun with your TS. Good to see there is other CAS shooters around.

Edited by Gdub

I have owned a 9mm TS for almost a year now and it never ceases to amaze me as to what a great "out-of-the-box" shooter it is....

I like to tinker with my guns, so I did a few mods to it...

Put adjustable sight on rear and FO on the front

Went with a stainless guide rod

Bought the thin aluminum grips

Went with a stainless magwell..had to get the mag extensions to work with the magwell, but I can load 22 rounds of 9mm

I also own a very expensive STI Custom 6" Edge that was custom built....

The CZ Tactical Sport shoots just as well at half the price !!

Hats off to Angus Hobdell on the phenomenal trigger on the TS

if anyone gets a second to find the magazine dimensions (length doesnt matter, all i need is width and depth) that way i can figure out if i need to order new mag pouches for comp. hopefully the retention system will allow me to fit them in.

All I know is I am missing mag pouches. Until they show up I am shooting my 1911 in limited 10.

I took the CZ to the range again this evening. I spent my practice session working on trigger control and mag changes. I think, the first upgrade the gun needs is a fiber optic front sight. I am thinking about swapping out the rear sights for an adjustable rear sight and the front sight for a fiber optic. That should give me faster times between shots.

Edited by Bart Solo

Garmil, thanks for the tip. Picked up a couple of the Blackhawk mag pouches today at Bass Pro. The Blade Tech holster I ordered from CZ Custom showed up Friday. I put a little white nail polish on the front sight to help me pick it up a little quicker. I guess I am ready to shoot the tactical sport in a local practice match Tuesday night.

About sights, the factory fixed sights sit up a little taller than the Dawson adjustable rear sights I have on my Glock 35 and the similar Bo-Mar style rear sights on my Springfield Range Officer. I don't know if I should swap the rear sights out when I install a fiber optic front sight. Is that a common issue with the TS?

The only way to know if I can work with the slightly taller rear sight is in competition. That is one of the things I am going to find out Tuesday. The decision is important because the taller fixed rear sights call for a different fiber optic front sight than the shorter adjustable sights. Who knows I might get along fine with just a dot of nail polish.

Edited by Bart Solo

No problem. Which holster did you go with?

Looking at my sights at first I was worried about seeing the front as well but have shot a few matches and done well with it as is, so I may just leave it alone. If I do change anything it will be just the front to a fiber. I like the sight picture and using the factory rear as a slide racker.

I replaced my rear with an LPA cut adjustable from Dawson. I then filed down the front until it was the height I wanted to match the rear before ordering my front sight, again from Dawson.

I ended up with a .170 height for my front.

Many who get the TS keep the stock rear sight as is and use it as a makeshift charging handle.

No problem. Which holster did you go with?

Looking at my sights at first I was worried about seeing the front as well but have shot a few matches and done well with it as is, so I may just leave it alone. If I do change anything it will be just the front to a fiber. I like the sight picture and using the factory rear as a slide racker.

I just bought the DOH right hand loop.

I am going to try the stock sights for a couple of practice matches and see how they work. Lots of people seem to use the factory rear sight as an informal charging handle.

I shot the TS tonight at the local practice match. I had a couple of problems with mags and shot ammunition I had never shot out of the TS before. I still shot as many alphas as anyone shooting limited. I had a NS and a mike with the mag issues so I was knocked back to the middle of the pack, but once the mags are tuned and I am used to the gun, I suspect I will move up. I really, really loved the pistol. One of the guys had a CZ TS totally modified by CZ Custom. He came in 3rd overall, following an open shooter and a limited guy shooting his s*I something. A couple of mods and some experience I think, I will give them a run for their money. The big upgrades needed include extended base pads, thin grips and a fiber optic front sight. Oh, it would be nice to have better holster and some mag pouches better than the Blackwater.

All in all I think I made the right choice. A much better gun for limited than the Glock, 35.

Edited by Bart Solo

I shot the TS tonight at the local practice match. I had a couple of problems with mags and shot ammunition I had never shot out of the TS before. I still shot as many alphas as anyone shooting limited. I had a NS and a mike with the mag issues so I was knocked back to the middle of the pack, but once the mags are tuned and I am used to the gun, I suspect I will move up. I really, really loved the pistol. One of the guys had a CZ TS totally modified by CZ Custom. He came in 3rd overall, following an open shooter and a limited guy shooting his s*I something. A couple of mods and some experience I think, I will give them a run for their money. The big upgrades needed include extended base pads, thin grips and a fiber optic front sight. Oh, it would be nice to have better holster and some mag pouches better than the Blackwater.

All in all I think I made the right choice. A much better gun for limited than the Glock, 35.

The .40 TS is somewhat picky with ammo. I had a pretty hard time finding something that would feed right.Even a lot of factory ammo would run in it. When I finally found a bullet that worked, I also noticed that you can't load them very long or they'll bind in the mag.

So, depending on what your mag "issues" are, there might be other options rather than trying to tune the mags.

And yes, Tac Sports have been a fairly well kept secret for years now... thanks for blowing it. :P

Edited by gose

The .40 TS is somewhat picky with ammo. I had a pretty hard time finding something that would feed right.Even a lot of factory ammo would run in it. When I finally found a bullet that worked, I also noticed that you can't load them very long or they'll bind in the mag.

So, depending on what your mag "issues" are, there might be other options rather than trying to tune the mags.

And yes, Tac Sports have been a fairly well kept secret for years now... thanks for blowing it. :P

The issues concerned chambering the first round on a reload. On the reload I thought the mag was in all the way, but after the first shot (the last in the previous mag) the mag backed out. I had to shove it back in and rack the slide. My ammunition works fine. The guy running the tuned TS said that my problem wasn't uncommon with fully loaded new mags. It will go away when I change base pads or if I down load to 16 rounds. He also said that as the springs break in the problem will go away. I have ordered some extended base pads and springs.

The pistol only has about 250 rounds through it and the rounds I shot last night were new to the pistol.

Edited by Bart Solo