Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2005 California 3-Gun Championship Series

2005 California 3-Gun Championship Series

March 6, 2005 (First Match - Palm Springs, CA)

- 6 Matches

- Best 4 out of 6 for overall score

Two Classes

- Open and Tactical-USPSA Rules

$45.00 Registration Fee

- $45.00 Each Match

Match Dates:

(2) Bakersfield - April 9

(3) Sacramento - May 29

(4) Piru - June 26

(5) West End - July 23

(6) Visaila - August 27

View/Download Match Application

- 805-987-4051

• 4 weeks later...

10 East from L A get off on Ramon Rd. / Bob Hope Dr. go North over freeway turn left at the first light. Go .5 to 1 mile turn right on last street before you run back into desert just past all the buildings go North about 1 to 1.5 miles the road bends to the right but you turn left into kind of a junk yard looking area. Look for a sign for Palm Springs Gun Club turn right the road ends at the range

Yes, March 6th match is on. 8am start. Expect to be there pretty much all day because of the additional shooters tuning up for Mystery Mountain. After you exit at Bob Hope/Ramon Rd North, turn west on Varner Rd at the light, and then north again on Rio del Sol (end of the industrial buildings). Go north for about a mile where it dead ends into Vista Chino, turn west again, then north at the club sign.

I just shot the Palm Springs one and the scoring was recorded USPSA style (Target hit values, NS’s and Procedural’s). But, at registration there was no request to declare PF for rifle, or pistol. They also only recognized Open and Tactical divisions. If you ran Limited gear, you ran against optics on rifles, same for the HM guys.

I had two problems with the match:

1. Steel was placed so that it could be shot with pistol as close as 7 yards on stage 2 and there was rifle steel on stage 5 that was too soft for the application and the craters we generated were throwing splatter back from 35-45 yards. I got a small cheek cut that bled a bit and another guy on our squad got a larger one on his arm that looked like it hurt some.

2. Some of the long distance rifle targets on stage 6 were extremely difficult to see with the naked eye. Most squads were hauling out binoculars and identifying where they were by landmark location. I believe the iron sight shooters were just lobbing them in some cases. The shots were easy with optics (once you knew where to point the scope) and I recognize that the only divisions recognized were Open and Tactical. The point here is that not all Open and Tactical shooters use magnification and a dot can get screwed by this too.

Otherwise, an OK little match.

Big plus to match organization. 50ish shooters ran 6 stages in about 6 hours. Great job there.

--

Regards,

Well thats kind of a problem with certain clubs --- they don't have prime equipment. Rifle steel is expensive.

As far as stage 6, did you guys paint the targets before you shot?

Assuming you did paint them, do what KurtM noted in another thread... have the iron sight shooters shoot first.

Assuming you did paint them, do what KurtM noted in another thread... have the iron sight shooters shoot first.

We did paint, the irons did shoot first, and it was still a poor setup.

Ther best solution I have found is black paint on the steel and a white paper target face right behind it. Not much extra work. Works real well in all light conditions. Allows easy naked eye acquisition of most any size steel at pretty much any distance we do 3 gun at.

The MGM style flash target at least provides a large white (or other colored) masker card for the shooter to locate and then index a specific distance under if the steel is non-contrasting to the naked eye.

The hanging steel at the Palm Springs 3 gun was of the subjective hit verification variety and the frames were the best indexing device available (after you learned which ones were actually being used) ;-)

if you need binoculars to identify the steel aganst the ground and berms without extensive contemplation, study and squinting, then it needs correcting before the shooters get let loose.

--

Regards,

Yah but that's the charm of the series!

I remember a target like that in Piru 2-3 years ago. Couldn't see it with the naked eye. A newer shooter thought you were supposed to shoot at the red flasher above the steel!

I think targets like that will help us Kalifornia boyz in the long run. Those easily visible targets at the major matches will be a snap. :P