Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ Magazines in 40 S&W

Bart Solo

I have been thinking about switching from a Glock, 35 to a CZ 75 Tactical Sport in 40 S&W for USPSA limited but lately I have been wondering if I might not be able to build up a CZ 75 SP-01 Tactical might be a way to ease my way into CZ pistol ownership. I see that lots and lots of folks on this site modify one of the CZ SP-01 models for competition. The CZ 75 SP-01 Tactical comes with 2 12 round magazines. Obviously that is a non-starter for USPSA. What are the high capacity magazine options for the CZ 75 SP-01 Tactical?

Edited by Bart Solo

Mec gar makes a 14 round magazine but that's still a far cry from the 20 you can get into a Tac Sport with an extension. By the time you build your SP-01 into a competitive pistol you'll probably have spent what you could get a Tac Sport for. Mine was $ 1056.00. Used they can be had for $950.00.

I think bypassing the Tactical and going straight to the Tactical Sport is the best advise I have heard in years. Researching what needs to be done and the cost by the time I do all the mods the Tactical needs I will exceed the cost of a TS and it won't be as good.

The TS is a great gun, but don't be alarmed if you suck with it right from the get go. I went from shooting a buddies SP01 all the time to shooting my TS and I shot awesome accuracy wise, but I fell apart in rapid fire. I think it took me awhile to recalibrate my grip to the bigger circumference of the TS. But did I mention it's an awesome gun?

I went with the Tactical Sport in 40 S&W. The CZC basepad extensions allow you to reload 20 rounds, but may require some tweaking of the follower to work. The CZC spring and follower set, and the Gramms both allow 21 reloadable.

With the TS, you can run the gun just as you receive it. Fantastic trigger. Very accurate. The only mods I made were replacing the front sight with a FO unit, replacing the plastic recoil spring rod with SS and replacing the factory grips with the very thin CZC units. The thin grips reduce the grip width by about 1/8", a noticeable amount.

I replaced the plastic part because it was bent on arrival and got worse quickly. Plus it was cheesy. The SS rod just plain works and there is now no possibility of the spring kinking or buckling.

My winter project is a grip reduction. I plan to file and sand off the cheesy front and rear checkering and replace with grip tape. I'll probably send it down to Stuart to have it Ceracoated.

I tried a SS guide rod on my 75b. It was cool, but also managed to start hanging up on something. After screwing with it for a while, I took it off. The plastic one works just fine on my TS. I try to resist the urge to fix stuff that isn't broke.

Regarding grips, i sanded the stock grips down flat, put some waterproof sealant on them and grip tape over them. I like them alot that way. Probably not quite as narrow as the thin alu grips, but pretty close.

Here is a magazine related question to take the drift out of this topic. Tactical Sports in 40 are pretty hard for dealers to find right now, but my CZ dealer can put his hands on a California version of the TS. The big (only?) difference is it comes with 10 round magazines instead of the usual 17 rounders. Here is my question. How hard is it to modify the 10 round mags to accept 17 rounds? Should I just pay extra and buy the high capacity mags.

No I don't live in a 10 round state, so everything I am talking about is legal.

Edited by Bart Solo

Bart, if it only comes with one mag, keep it and use it as a barney mag. If it comes with more than one, sell the rest.

Or, buy it from CZC. They have them in stock. Here is the URL http://czcustom.com/CZ-75-Tactical-Sports-40SandW.aspx

BTW, the Bud's Guns unit does not come with three 17 round mags.

Edited by zzt

Bart, if it only comes with one mag, keep it and use it as a barney mag. If it comes with more than one, sell the rest.

Or, buy it from CZC. They have them in stock. Here is the URL http://czcustom.com/CZ-75-Tactical-Sports-40SandW.aspx

BTW, the Bud's Guns unit does not come with three 17 round mags.

I was told 2 10 round mags, so I know I would have to acquire more. I am surprised about CZC. I have been watching them for months and they have always said the guns were not in stock.

Bart, they do not always keep the web site current. When I ordered mine there was no buy button on the 40. I called to ask if I could be put on a waiting list and was told they had three in stock. I instantly ordered one. They do come and go quickly.

Well I did it. I ordered a Tactical Sport in 40 S&W from CZ Custom. It ships with 3 17 round mags. All up the cost is a little more than my local dealer cost (transfer fee) but I get the mags I want. I am buying stock and will shoot it some before I start upgrading. As always I am like a kid waiting Christmas.

What holster would you recommend?

Edited by Bart Solo

I would call the Ben Stoeger Pro Shop and have them order a BladeTeck Competition One holster WITHOUT a belt attachment or the drop offset part. Order just the holster part with this hanger http://www.benstoegerproshop.com/BSPS-BOSS-DOH-Holster-Hanger-p/bsps-hanger.htm .

The drop Offset part from BladeTech points the muzzle at your knee cap. I imagine you could heat it with a heat gun and straighten it out, but why bother. The BOSS hanger is much more adjustable.