Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Multigun Practice Drills

co-exprs

So, when you show up at the match, your task is to solve the problem of the most efficient routine. Basically the problem of eliminating all of the gaps. To do that you need to walk onto a stage with a set of skills you are highly proficient with. Like a tool box or a bag of clubs. The point of the drill is to help provide those tools, not to teach the fastest way to shoot a stage. If I were shooting this drill as a stage, I would engage the center targets first then go deep on the right, then shoot the targets on the left while advancing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Shooting on the move can be practiced some in dry-fire, but is one of the skills that really only improves significantly by doing it at the range. Stay low, articulate at the hips and compress the upper body. Watch AMU videos... They do it the best consistently.

Anxiously awaiting this walking/shooting video Mike. I spent a couple hours stomping around my basement the last few days and my takeaway so far is that I can put my focus in one of two training directions: I can walk slower and with a deliberately planned pace I can minimize reticle movement. It also seems to help if I time my shots right before a foot hits the ground as there's a consistent brief moment of a steady reticle. This seems pretty slow but potentially accurate. The second direction would be to walk quite a bit faster, still trying not to stomp though, and time my shots to break as the reticle passes the target during the fairly consistent up/down of my sights. This seems to make for way slower splits and much more potential for a huge miss. Buy I think if I can get the timing down the increase in movement speed will more than make up for the decrease in shooting speed. But this is all conjecture from a relative newbie stomping around his basement, now I want some smarter people to chime in and point me in the most productive direction, or if I'm way off base they can wipe my slate clean and I'll start all over.

It's all about the A zone. Targets at different distance have larger and smaller A zones (in aspect). A target only 5yds away will allow for more muzzle movement while staying in the A zone. A target at say 15yds will have a smaller A zone, requiring more precision. The closer and more forgiving the target the faster and sloppier you can be. I have several movement drills I like to do and one of them involves acceleration as targets get closer.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...