Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

glock 26 vs shield

1911vm

I carry a glock 19. The 26 is just as wide and uncomfortable as the 19 so might as well get a few extra rounds!

Take a look at the XDS 3.3 9mm. I think that has the shield beat in terms of quality and just good looks. Very accurate and nice to shoot as well.

I shoot 2011/1911/CZ but have to carry G22 at work so I bought G26 and it's good carry gun gun but I prefer the Shield 9mm and carry it sold the G26. It carries little easier under t-shirt and on ankle and for me points more like what I'm used to shooting.

How do you transition from what you shoot to what you carry . that must suck.

Only downside of bigger double stack guns is if you are skinny. Being a 5'6" marathon runner I don't have much to help hide pistols. I print with my shield wearing loose summer clothes. I can conceal my G42 under a normal tshirt. Obviously winter allows you to carry much more (I will carry a 1911 occasionally).

G26 is small but wide

Shield is big but narrow

Neither really does it for me but I keep almost buying the Shield if that gives you an idea of how I feel about it. The G26 I like alright but I don't really love guns that have my pinky off of the grip and once you add an extender you are basically at G19 size but with worse capacity.

PPS is another gun to consider. I used to want one pretty badly, almost bought one, the one I was interested in got sold, and then when I found another for sale I decided I disliked the mag release and the factthat the backstrap is needed for function.

I am still hopeful that Glock comes out with a small slim 9mm because none of the current options really are quite what I want and I really like the size factor of the 42 (though I dislike the caliber).

I shoot 2011/1911/CZ but have to carry G22 at work so I bought G26 and it's good carry gun gun but I prefer the Shield 9mm and carry it sold the G26. It carries little easier under t-shirt and on ankle and for me points more like what I'm used to shooting.

It really isn't that hard or at least not as hard as I had heard. I transitioned from a 1911 to a Glock for work and I still shoot Infinity 1911s at matches. No problem at all for me. Oh and I switched from a Shield to a G42....

It really isn't that hard or at least not as hard as I had heard. I transitioned from a 1911 to a Glock for work and I still shoot Infinity 1911s at matches. No problem at all for me. Oh and I switched from a Shield to a G42....

This. I shoot and carry and compete with several different platforms. Berretta 92f, sig 228, 19/2011's, glock 17, 19, 34, 42, M&P shield and .40, and XD .40. The big thing that will throw you off is if there is a safety that operates differently than what you are used to. Like a Beretta is backwards from pretty much everything else. other than that, a pistol is a pistol is a pistol. The fundamentals don't change for a carry gun, you do have to practice and know what you are carrying that day. But functionally, none of the striker fired pistols are that different from each other that you could not grab any one of them having a decent knowledge of modern hand guns and know its manual of arms and be able to shoot it proficiently.

sorry but I cannot agree. I can also shoot just about any gun out there. but to insinuate That you can shoot them all the equally well I doubt it. If you know how to drive a car well does not mean you can drive Jeep / limo / ETC well also.

Yep my glock 42 isnt nearly as fast or accurite as my 1911s. Just like the jeep is different than a Ferrari just like a hammer is different than a prybar. I still dont have to break out the intruction manual when i pick up the prybar or drive my wifes car....

sorry but I cannot agree. I can also shoot just about any gun out there. but to insinuate That you can shoot them all the equally well I doubt it. If you know how to drive a car well does not mean you can drive Jeep / limo / ETC well also.

But why would you feel that you need to shoot a CCW as well as a competition gun? Sure, you want to be as proficient with your carry weapon as possible, but in the end, it is a 'worst case scenario' weapon that you hope you never have to use; and if you do, you're going to be shooting a person inside of ten yards; not a target at thirty.

A carry gun is made of trade-offs, whereas something you compete with has little to none- you can have easy access, a light trigger, a lack of redundant safety mechanisms, plenty of size and weight, ect.

In a carry gun, I want concealment, safety, and ease of use. For me, that's a P290, 'cause it's tiny, but has decent accuracy and competent sights, and the trigger is DAO without being obscenely heavy. I don't want a manual safety on a carry gun, and I don't want a short, light trigger. DAO or a decocked SA/DA seems like the obvious choice to me, but you're comfortable with a Glock or XD, more power to you.

Carrying a cocked and locked 1911 just because that's what you like to compete with, though? Seems silly to me.

Again this is not the topic . but two things. One I want to be as good if not better with my CCW my life depends on it . two carried a 1911. 4" barrel for years. Went to J frame. Just looking for something new.

I bought a M&P Shield in a 40sw used off a fellow shooter. Its grip is stippled, everything else is stock. I love that thing! I have a Glock 26 9mm that I like to shoot, but don't carry that often. If it was a Glock 27, I'd probably carry it as a backup on my body armor to my duty weapon which is a Glock 35, but I'm not a 9mm guy when it comes to carry.

The M&P Shield is slim, and the optional flush magazine makes is very compact. Its good firepower in a small enough package, I can pocket or waist band carry. It definitely has an advantage in the size category.

Another option you might also look into that I don't see a lot of people mention is the Walther PPS... That sucker is SLIM! It has interchangeable backstraps which isn't a big deal to me, but worth mentioning. They come in a 9mm or a 40w, and have 3 different length magazines to suit your carry situation.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Tried xds 9mm , felt nice in my hand until I shot it My grip is to high and I need to be very careful not too get a slide bite. I guess I will wait till Glock 43 to hit the market to make a final decision

I greatly prefer the Kahr CM9 over the shield. Or go w/ the CW9 for an extra round. The Kahr is smaller, sits lower in the hand, and even though the trigger pull is longer, it's better than the Shield in my opinion. My wife has a Shield, I have no desires to shoot it after getting a Kahr.