Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

svi .40 sight tracker chamber tighter than dillon case gauge

ano

well got the gun today, already got 5-600 rounds through it, 100 of thoose factory to see if it worked (it did) but I far prefer my 180gr 5.3gr n320 loads.

I had 4 failure to battery, kept thoose rounds, they will not pass droptest into chamber, they will pass droptest EASY into dillon chamber gauge... soo get new fancy shockbottle with tight tolerances? or what? are they tight enough? need for long loaded .40's but they dont seem to offer anodized, only bare metal version?

Edited by ano

Currently just useing dillon die, gonna look around, think I might have a redding and lee somewhere, I know about the u-dies, but.. have a casepro on order :o

Funny thing is once they are shot in the SVI, there is barely any effort to size it with the dillon die, even without lube! its just so tight!

Say its around 1% that doesnt fit.... but thats honestly 1% too many. I used to load with factory crimp, but I dont like the jolting unlocking motion it makes.

Some of the brass loaded was unknown range pickup, some I shot in a sti 1911 .40 and sphinx 2000 .40, so mostly I know the origin of probably 95% of it.

Got tons of brass that has been casepro'ed incoming thats once fired, cleaned and caseproed, can't wait to see how that works out, but I guess I also might just order a u-die just in case

The chambering issue seems to be around the bottom of the bullet, where its seated in the brass. I thought it might be crooked seating, but I have crooked seated ones where you see the ring on one side that work fine, the 3 I have on my desk here seems 110% fine.

As for the SVI.. amazing gun, why didn't I do this before. very little muzzeflip, little recoil exxelent trigger etc.

Any of you dillon and shockbottle owners that can chime in, is it tighter?

changed out size die, helped a bit, changed out from dillon taper to lee factory crimp again, seems to have solved it for now. it stopped early, there was never an issue with the bulge at bottom.

so back to needing something else to case gauge with that fits my barrel ;)

What bullet are you using?

My Lyman case gauge is tighter than my Dillon, and all of my 40 barrels. I hardly ever have a 40 round that FITS in it but they all fit in the barrels and the Dillon die. My issue isn't the brass though. It's the bullet. I'm loading a 200 gr coated lead bullet and the problem is with them. Brass with no bullet fits fine. Jacketed bullets work fine as well.

I use a u die and a factory crimp die. I have the same issue even when I grx the brass and/or case pro it.

Edited by B45C22

Of the thousands of 40 cal rounds I've loaded, 100% of them were loaded with once fired brass from Glock pistols. I do run a U-die, but when I case gauge my ammo, I use a Dillon case gauge and I've never found it to be as issue. If I can find them, I will measure the Dillon case gauge and my chamber today..

I ran into the same problem as Ano where the rounds passed the Dillon case gauge but wouldn't chamber in my M&P. I routinely run all cases through a resizing die (Glock bulge, anyone?) before loading so I knew that wasn't it. I called Dillon and sent the gauge and a sample dummy round to their Customer Service department to see what the problem was. As you may have expected, their CS was outstanding and I got a call a few days later. They said their case gauge is NOT a chamber checker but a check of the case and overall length. The mouth diameter of the case is NOT verified. They do sell a chamber checker made by EGW that does replicate a SAAMI chamber and volunteered to replace my Dillon case gauge with the EGW.

What this told me was that the cases I had problems with were insufficiently crimped. Somehow, my taper crimp setting (done separately from seating) had gotten changed. Sure enough, when I went back and reset my taper crimp die as it should have been, all rounds dropped into the EGW die and my barrel. Now I routinely check all my rounds in the EGW and haven't had a problem since.

This is where the Lee standard or U die really shines. Seen several S-I pistols start running by just changing to the U die.

Don't care what the box says Lube Cases, makes the whole process easier on the dies, brass, press and the operator.

If you start having chigger bites on the case mouth turn the powder through die till a piece of sized brass slips over the

powder funnel. I used a drill press and sandpaper you won't remove much.

Need to lock the Lee die from the bottom of the tool head with a Dillon nut. I like to use a small strip of paper as a

go no go gauge should pull out with pressure on the operating handle but not in. Lee dies will size closer to the

extractor groove and tighter than other brands. Lee's carbide ring is close to the mouth and may crack if set to tight.

Edited by Bob DuBois

The lee die took brass down 0.05mm tighter than the dillon die, thanks for the tips guys. Gonna have a look for at the EGW case gauge, and have a go at ordering a shockbottle with anodization, hopeing it will be tight.

The gun so far seems to be amazing, got a big match coming up, we will see how I rank

Edited by ano

well, I chamber checked 200 rounds, all would drop in, bullets measure .400 and .4005 finished rounds where bullet sits, measure .4236 around dia at mouth, OAL was 1.210 and 1.200

Out of thoose 200 rounds, 12 failed to chamber, they have a slight burr/nick at case mouth, which further prevents it from entering chamber.

So it seems the round is hitting something on its way in, makeing the small small mark, which in turn keeps it from chamering properly

Gonna try shorter OAL tomorrow, .1180 .1190 with the current bullets, and also some .398 and .3985 bullets FMJ instead of plated.

Edited by ano

Soooo this was really a double issue

GFL brass is THICK even at max crimp I cant get it under 10.76mm with starline 10.72mm..

second problem, there were some toolmarks or sharp radius around *sides* of barrel, they would greate a tiny tiny burr bumping it to 10.80'ish which was a nogo.

so some 260 + 400 grid + polishing solved it, also a maximum crimp with factory crimp + u die also helped.

ran a L3 with 0 issues (except mikes.. which hardly was to blame on the gun)

I overheard an RO to another RO.. whaaat,,, he shooting major?! thats some fast doubletapsI chronoed 180+ at chronostage... as well :o gonna go down on powder as well. the tight chamber increases factor quite a lot.

• 4 weeks later...

update:

I got the shockbottle 100 round gauge, in black ano, I had set aside the rounds that had trouble chambering, they would not fit the shockbottle, but no issue in dillon.. sooo the shockbottle gauge is pretty much identical in spec to my svi chamber! so thats perfect.

thanks shockbottle for awsome product.