Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Optic advice for a future veteran.

Alright guys, I know this is a little ways outside the realms of our normal discussion but I know there's a ton of smart guys on here and I don't feel like joining a Tactical Timmy forum just to ask this question. So a good friend of mine is about to leave on an all expenses paid government sponsored vacation to Afghanistan. He calls me the other day and asks for optic suggestions for a low powered variable for the occasions he's allowed to use some personally owned gear. Just based on desired specs I could make plenty of suggestions but when I do research for a scope I don't usually put a high priority on extreme durability while piss pounding it in bad environments during life or death situations. So my question is, what scopes would you guys recommend that you can honestly say you would feel comfortable depending on in those situations? Here's the catch though: when I said that combat ready optics seem to fetch a premium he replied that wasn't a problem, he didn't mind spending up towards 1k on a scope. Not exactly what I meant by premium. While I'm sure a lot of you have had good luck for sporting purposes with stuff like the Primary Arms 1-6, I cannot in good conscience recommend a $300 optic for this purpose. I'm thinking something closer to the SWFA 1-6 but I'm not aware of its durability track record so that's what I need you guys for. Thanks in advance for everyone who wants to help my buddy out!

Edited by TonytheTiger

Ta-11 on a JP mount. Micro on a Larue offset mount. Not fashionable right now, but hell bent for stout, and fully redundant. If it where my ass that is what I would carry. But My internet opinion is worth exactly what was paid for it.

Cheers!

Thanks for the replies guys! So far here and elsewhere I've been informed that the Leupold mil/leo discount is substantial. Myself not being either of those things, I'm not privy to the discount numbers but the fact that Leupold does so much to support our men and women in uniform definitely helps make them look like the way to go.

Edited by TonytheTiger

The elcan is what a bunch of guys run. They are heavy though. Usually if he can get to a good sized base like Phoenix, he might be able yo snag one at the DRMO. If not I would run a leopold or vortex. And both companies do help out military, especially for deployed guys. I know they have straight up sent scopes to guys that need them. Especially back in the day ('05ish) before everyone had cool guy gear leupold and scmitt and bender both supplied our snipers with variable power optics ti replace the fix 10x mark4's they all had.

• 2 weeks later...

Having been to Iraq and Afghanistan ill provide the following comments: If I had a choice of any optic in the 1000.00 to run when/if I go back I would go with the Leupold Mk4 1.5-5. If I had more money I would consider the Vortex 1-6x. I have a MK6 on order and I would be tempted to take that based on the Leupold reputation. I ran a Leupold for years in 3 gun with the SPR reticle, I would get the other reticle with the BDC. I'm now running a vortex 1-6 on my 3 gun rifle and Ill have the MK6 to play with when I get back. Make sure you have a good mount, like a Larue so that you have the option of changing out the optic.

Commenting on the MK4: you have the ability to dial for range on the BDC dial so you can be POA/POI and not use the BDC. In a case where you are in a SBF position it would be easier to use the center of the reticle then the hold over points and its easy to return that scope to zero. You loose a little versatility with the 1.5x over say a 6x vortex. The MK4 is smaller and lighter.

I did plenty of time in both Iraq and Afghanistan. Dont buy your own optic, use what the goverment gives you. If he is that high speed that he needs something that is not in the arms room Uncle Sugar will provide.

I did plenty of time in both Iraq and Afghanistan. Dont buy your own optic, use what the goverment gives you. If he is that high speed that he needs something that is not in the arms room Uncle Sugar will provide.

+1

Best advice given thus far.

Passed on all this info to him, he's still undecided but he wants to know of anyone has any experience or opinions on the Vortex viper pst 1-4x for this purpose? I'm sure all Vortex's stuff is great for the price but I have no idea if they engineer the less expensive stuff for really getting beat on.

If my life depended on it, Which it has for 4 years of my life, I agree with shippj. Carry an army issue optic. I ran an ACOG (bomb proof), Eoech, ELCAN, (heavy but also bomb proof) and a few leupold variable power optics (vx3's) on DMR's. All were issued, and in the event they break, there are replacements on the gun that day from supply.

I used my Vortex Razor 1-6 during my last tour to Afghanistan (RC-East, NOV12 - AUG13) and was very pleased with the performance; the scope is rock-solid and took a bunch of abuse with no issues.

What job will your friend have? If, like 90% of those deployed, he'll be a Fobbit - he should just go with Army-issued optics. If he's working outside the wire, which is becoming far less likely for most of those deployed, AND he has money burning a hole in his pocket - then the Razor 1-6 is the way to go. It was pretty funny to go to BAF or JAF and see the fat-boy Fobbits walking to the Chow Hall with their pristine PX "kit".

Disclaimer - I'm now sponsored by Vortex, but purchased my first Razor with my own funds prior to becoming sponsored.

Edited by Fullauto_Shooter

I used my Vortex Razor 1-6 during my last tour to Afghanistan (RC-East, NOV12 - AUG13) and was very pleased with the performance; the scope is rock-solid and took a bunch of abuse with no issues.

What job will your friend have? If, like 90% of those deployed, he'll be a Fobbit - he should just go with Army-issued optics. If he's working outside the wire, which is becoming far less likely for most of those deployed, AND he has money burning a hole in his pocket - then the Razor 1-6 is the way to go. It was pretty funny to go to BAF or JAF and see the fat-boy Fobbits walking to the Chow Hall with their pristine PX "kit".

Disclaimer - I'm now sponsored by Vortex, but purchased my first Razor with my own funds prior to becoming sponsored.

Especially with the end of combat operations today :roflol: