Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

open pistol

sbaker5

I have an STI open pistol with a side mount c-more. I have trouble picking up the red dot on draws. Is it any easier or have advantages to have the top mount? Obviously practice will remedy most issues but was curious about any advantage or disadvantage. Thanks in advance.

Dry fire and repetition. Nothing else will make it faster. Eventually you should be able to draw the gun with your eyes closed an the dot will be where you want it. Maybe try moving slow and intentional during some of your draw sessions. Bring the gun up and out in an upside-down "L" shape and try to find the dot as you are pushing the gun out to where you lock your arms. I use this method when shooting Steel Challenge. Sometimes if the target or plate is close enough, like Smoke and Hope, you can even get off your first shot as you are still pushing out.

more dry fire will speed up the learning curve...lol

You could spend more money on a new mount and it may help. Although most of what I have heard the sideways mounts are easier to find the Dot with if you are used to irons. There is a good chance you will spend the money and make the change and still have the problem, then you will need even more dry fire because changed the sight location just killed all the dry fire you have already done.

I just started in open with a sideways mount on a glock and feel lucky to not have any trouble finding the Dot.

I had a heck of a time finding the red dot my first year ...

But, I didn't dry fire enough ...

I used to "index" on the top adjustment knob - and then

look for the red dot.

And, if I lifted the muzzle slightly and brought it down,

it was easier to "find" the dot.

Don't have the problem any more, now that I've done

it a thousand times - how fast it takes YOU to get to

a 1,000 times, depends on how much dry firing you

do.

Good luck with it. :cheers:

There really is no trick other than just practice your draw. On the verticle vs 90 degree it's whatever your use to. For me I am running a verticle and have zero issues switching between open and irons. I am even fine switching from an open 2011 to an open glock as a backup as well as a ruger mark ii for steel. Usually they say the 90 degree is the easiest at first but practice drawing and it will come. It really dosent have to even be draws as much as indexing the gun

Everytime I read this topic I wish I can convince everyone its easier to find the dot if you stop looking for it. Look at the target and mount the gun and aim it to the target without consciously directing the gun. The dot will appear most of the time. If you consciously direct the gun by trying different grip angles you tend to look at the gun and lose your guide to your aim which is the target. Your target is your only guide to aim at so that the dot will appear. Its so obvious but we dont trust ourselves enought that we tend to focus on the gun and look for the dot there instead of on the target. I came from iron sighted pistol division for 8 yrs w/ a 1911/2011 and when I went to Open with a Glock with an STS then Slideride then after a year an STI with upright Slideride, but inspite of different grip angles of those pistols, I never experienced the difficulty of finding or losing the dot. Of course the very first few tries I couldnt see the dot outright but At most never more than 10 tries. Thats always with a target focus. Even at LAMR i look for a point on the ground to aim at (in IPSC you cannot aim at a target at LAMR). Sometimes I try without any targrt to aim at and almost evrytime I cannot find the dot. Its really simple: how can you learn to index the gun without a target to index to? You cannot.

Edited by BoyGlock