Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help picking first Tanfo

hondakilla98

I'm thinking about picking up a 9mm tanfo and just read through "the chop shop". I'm looking to get my first Tanfo in the next couple weeks. I want a 9mm, and right now I'm trying to decide if I should start "cheap" with an elite match, or spend the money and get an elite limited. This will be a range toy, at some point I might hit a local match. But nothing serious. I want a fiber optic front sight, crisp light single action trigger, and accuracy. I wear a size xxl-xxxl glove and would like some input on which frame, grips, trigger would be best. I've shot my dad's steel baby eagle in 40 and I remember it felt great in my hand.

What I really like the look of is the old hunter with the sight tracker solid comp. But since that's not going to happen in 9mm anytime soon, or at least not on my budget. My second choice is the elite limited, probably with the hennings long flat trigger, and henning mag well. If my giant hands will fit between the trigger guard and well. And maybe changing it to 2 tone or all black with HC hammer, safety, trigger, slide stop, and mag release.

In the future I plan to pick up a 9mm suppressor. I've seen straight barrels threaded and an extension put on to allow attaching the can. Is that possible with a cone barrel? Should I buy a gun with the straight barrel, or just swap my upper later if I get a cone barrel and buy a can?

Adding a magwell is a little more work on the standard (Match) frame. With big hands, you will probably want a magwell.

Also with big hands you may not like the flat triggers. Myself and a couple other large handed fellows don't like that flat trigger as much as the stock SA trigger. The pull is all in the plunger, sear, and hammer so the trigger only gets you a better fit for your hand.

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like I get to save some money, I never get tired of that! That means more money for mags and mods. I was thinking the long flat trigger would increase the reach to the trigger from the factory sa trigger. Is that not the case? Or is it the flat blade feels strange?

To me the flat blade feels strange. I feel like my finger is slipping off the bottom as it angles back. I thought it might have to do with the angle my finger is hitting it. But I have never felt the "long" version that I know of.

I don't have a Match (one of a few Tanfos I don't lol) but I have shot the Limited and loved it. Another member on here got it but as luck would have it one will be coming to the unicorn stable soon. Once I get the Limited I have no clue what will be next on my list of Tanfos. Maybe a 1911 style tanfo for SS down the road. Anyways, you cannot go wrong with any of the steel framed tanfos. I thoroughly enjoy shooting everyone I own.

To me the flat blade feels strange. I feel like my finger is slipping off the bottom as it angles back. I thought it might have to do with the angle my finger is hitting it. But I have never felt the "long" version that I know of.

Well I'll wait until I get the pistol to decide. But that money could be spent on something else. Like a trigger job.

Well I'll wait until I get the pistol to decide. But that money could be spent on something else. Like a trigger job.

Tanfo triggers can be very much improved (lighter and smoother) with polishing and spring changes. No $, just some time. At least my match responded that way using the advice posted here.

I have the match and love it. I followed Nealio's advice on springs and mods and I have a nice soft shooting 9. All in all, I have about 250$ in upgrades. Most of that cost was the Taylor Freelance base pads and Gramms follower and springs. I do want to get the Canyon Creek magwell, just haven't got around to it yet.

The CC magwell really improves the feel of the gun (for me) because it's so heavy, and the magwell opening is HUGE. I used to lust after a Limited until I added the magwell to my Match. Now that desire for a Limited is completely gone (even though I'm putting one together right now from parts). :-)

Edited by BrazeauRacing

The CC magwell really improves the feel of the gun (for me) because it's so heavy, and the magwell opening is HUGE. I used to lust after a Limited until I added the magwell to my Match. Now that desire for a Limited is completely gone (even though I'm putting one together right now from parts). :-)

I'm probably going to copy your gun. But with an adjustable rear sight and hogue grips.

eaaWM_02_5.jpg