Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel Nationals 2015

PPGMD

Due to a combination of boredom and being in the area, I dropped by the range.

First things first, Google's directions will get you right there. There is a large sign for the range in the cattle pasture by the road, but the sign is parallel to the highway so it is hard to see.

The range regularly hosts competitions so the ROs seemed pretty cool. There is plenty of parking, and a picnic table with cover at every bay.

But the range is miles from any descent food places so pack a lunch for the practice days.

The RO suggested to get your hotel reservations soon, as the match might be close to bike week. Unlike spring break Bike Week has a lot of traffic off of A1A and as far south as NSB. I have a picture of the range map that I will post when I get home to a computer.

What kind of places are you guys looking for? I live in Orange City/Deland area. Orange City has the normal Chile's, Applebee's, and Ruby Tuesday's, and all the fast food places you can want. All of this is right off of I-4 so it's easy and quick to get to. Also, Rachel's Wing Shack in Deland is a small little place with good wings and a darn good burger.

Is the prize table for everyone or just the fast guys?

Got this from the application:

"Prize table toured based on highest overall finish Center Fire Division only / Awards only for RimFire Competition"

Edited by jdphotoguy

• 2 weeks later...

Just shot my first ever Steel Challenge match at this club. Good range, couldn't be easier to find. They're building new bays & berms so it looks to be a very happening place. Be aware, the turn-off is in a 65-mile-per-hour, 4-lane zone so you will be helped by a GPS telling you when you're close (like 0.4 miles) and by signalling EARLY and CLEARLY to any cars behind you so they will change lanes and not run you down from behind.

To the east, the nearest food/shopping is a Hess followed by a WalMart Super Center and a McDonald's. Hour from my house so that's where I'm staying. Was going to say "off-season rates for beach hotels" but if there are spring breakers around, forget that, stay in Deland or Deltona.

Maybe put a big flashing neon sign on the 150' tall cell phone tower across the highway from the entrance to the VHC range?

Might be the tallest structure in Florida. ;)

Is the prize table for everyone or just the fast guys?

the prize table is always for everyone .... the fast guys just get the better prizes ... :)

last year everyone who shot centerfire got to walk the table and if i remember correctly there where some 30-35 guns available ...

I wonder if they are aware if the website is down? I just tried to email the contact that was posted on the Volusia Gun Club page and the email was bounced back

This report relates to a message you sent with the following header fields:

Message-id: <4E0FC611-8DA6-4F00-A016-6F5D92DED38D@icloud.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2014 11:40:57 -0500
To: sean@ussteelshoot.com
Subject: US Steel Shoot website

Your message cannot be delivered to the following recipients:

Recipient address: sean@ussteelshoot.com
Reason: Illegal host/domain name found

Original-envelope-id: 0NG200B4GH0AA940@st11p06mm-asmtp002.mac.com
Reporting-MTA: dns;st11p06mm-asmtp002.mac.com (tcp-daemon)
Arrival-date: Thu, 04 Dec 2014 08:40:59 -0800 (PST)

Original-recipient: rfc822;sean@ussteelshoot.com
Final-recipient: rfc822;sean@ussteelshoot.com
Action: failed

• 1 month later...

That sucks Zach. Gotta have priorities though...LOL. One year I flew out to Kali for the Challenge. Got there on Monday, Monday night I got the call late that my son was gonna have emergency surgery.....Flew back the next morning...got to enjoy the I 5 traffic going to LAX....Most expensive 24 hours I have had yet...LOL. The guys running the challenge kept my entry for the next year.....I appreciated that. The important stuff comes first. We can always play later. See ya down the road at another match. If you haven't made hotel reservations you better get going. They are going fast.......

DougC