Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ESP: STI Trojan vs. CZ SP-01 Shadow Custom

ES13Raven

I was at the same cross road a month ago ... I purchased the 75 Shadow SA ... Tuned the trigger up, added a magwell (had to get 18 rd mags), changed grips and front sight .... Now I am a happy camper !!! #noregrets

Picked up a slightly used 9mm STI Trojan off Gunbroker for $725 about 2 weeks ago, bought 3 Dawson 10 round mags and put on a Dawson mag well and hit my first IDPA match with it yesterday. Had a great time and it was a fun gun to shoot. I had started really liking to shoot 1911/2011 style pistols in USPSA and always shot my Glock 34 in IDPA but figured I would try ESP with the Trojan and really like it.

• 4 weeks later...

2 or 3. With the lack of spare parts you want to have a couple of spares in case your main goes down....

At least that's what I tell my wife.

I was unaware of the lack of spare parts. I've only got 20k rounds or so through my cz's, but so far the only spare parts I've needed are 1 trigger return spring, and that was easily available from at least 2 different vendors.

The answer to the original question is 'whichever you prefer'. Both guns are easy to shoot accurately, and both are extremely reliable unless you do something to screw them up.

If you suck at reloading and don't want to practice, the cz is a better choice.

If you suck at DA trigger pull and don't want to practice (or you don't like the safety on the cz), then the trojan (or any comparable 1911) is a better choice.

For sure the 1911 is a somewhat simpler gun, and understood by more gunsmiths. My trojan came with a great trigger, but you can probably get it really really great for very little money from a local gunsmith instead of having to ship it somewhere.

If I had any interest in idpa, I would shoot either gun quite happily.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

2 or 3. With the lack of spare parts you want to have a couple of spares in case your main goes down....

At least that's what I tell my wife.

What lack of spare parts are we talking about here?

You can order extra slidestops, recoil springs, hammer springs, and sear springs from CZC or CGW.

I replace the recoil spring every 5k and 20k for everything else.