Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Eye protection?

Highwayman

I've had the Rudy Magster for 5 years with Photocromatic Polorized gray Impact X for everyday wear, the Photocromatic red Impact X for shooting. The best thing I like about the glasses is the Rudy logo above the nose piece is a small vent that keeps air flowing across the lenses, they don't fog up with only a small amount of forward movement. Also I grew up wearing glasses and beating my brains out trying to keep my glasses up. Even in the summer sweating and working outside the nose piece keeps the glasses from sliding down my nose. Visual clairity is great.

• 1 month later...

Little late jumping in, but I swear by my Rudy's! I have at least 4 of their shooting kits over the years. What's cool is half the cost covered by my insurance. I was first turned on to them by my eye doctor's husband in CO. He is big time into Sporting Clays and started educating me on them.

Can anyone comment on wearing Rudy's under over-the-ear protection? Oakleys are great, but feel like they're crushing my skull under my headset. I wear my Gatorz at work and to matches because they're flat against my head and comfortable, but I'd like to get a clear set of eye-pro.

I have flak jackets and really love them....but my shooting glasses always seem to get scratched up and unusable. A few years ago I started going to Fastenal a couple times a year and buying some clear and yellow lens safety glasses. I just went over yesterday and bout two new pair. The thing I like about getting the safety glasses is that I know they will stand up to abuse. I bought two very nice pair of glasses and my total was $10.45.

I use them until they get scratched and throw them away.

I currently run either Oakley M-frames or Flak Jackets. I choose what set based off if I need clear or tinted for the day. I don't currently have a mid-range lense though. As others have said, you get what you pay for in terms of glass/optics. It is impressive how clear the lenses are comared to "basic" safety glasses. It pays to save up and buy quality.

I too always used a cheap pair of shooting glasses until recently I discovered the ESS Eye Pro Suppressor kit. I like to shoot with earphones and my other glasses would not allow the hearing protection to cover all of my ear. The Suppressor frames are flexible and allow my earphones to lay flat/seal around my ear. The kit comes with 2 different frames and 3 lenses! I also picked out some of their sunglasses to replace my Oakley gas cans.

http://www.esseyepro.com/Suppressor-2X-Kit-Clear-Copper-and-Gray_286_detail.html

Also, check out the testimonials on their website, pretty amazing stuff from our troops.

Smith Elite are great for the money too, I think they have the highest impact rating for non goggle safety lenses. They saved my eyes at least 3 times overseas. They also make a pair that go under ear pro very comfortably. Oakley are great too, I used to wear m-frames before I got the smiths. If you have insurance that covers glasses, or don't mind dropping 3 to 4 hundred... Rudy Project all the way...

You only get one set of eyes... spending some money on good protection when you subject yourself to as much exposure as we do is just common sense.