Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"But he practiced"

dirtypool40

I hate it when I hear things like “It’s his equipment”, “He’s just naturally gifted” and my all time favorite “don’t worry about his scores….he’s a GM”. Then there’s “He practices all the time”. Yeah, that’s a great attitude. It is often said in our sport as though it’s an indictment. Like it’s cheating to practice. Showing up at matches, yes even major ones, is fine, but don’t let anyone see you practicing, cheater.

Now don’t get me wrong, I am not a GM, and those comments were not directed at me, but I have heard them directed at other shooters and they chap my ass every time.

Yes, there are gifted shooters, who pick things up a little quicker than the norm. Shooting has been raised to incredible heights by these gifted shooters, because they have taken their gifts and worked very hard to make the most of them.

My theory has been for some time, just shoot your best, don’t gripe about gear or classes, or special categories. Play to win, not to be the best senior, female LEO shooter in B class, shooting an open class minor revolver weak hand only on stage 3.

You should “worry” about that score the guy in the class above you put up. How’d he do it? Watch, learn, strive to improve, instead of justify and sandbag.

Your goal ought to be to shoot well with no qualifiers. How about next time saying something like “Wow, he really put in the time and now he is kicking ass”?

People can make excuses for themselves if they want. But that's really all they are.

The one example you give that could be serious advice is to not worry about X's score, X is a GM. Depending on where you are, a GM might be doing so many things better than you, it's impossible to figure out how to get from where you are with anything to where they are because the differences are too big. Also, generally if you aren't competitive yet, worrying about other people's scores is less important than worrying about your own. So in context it might be sound advice rather than an excuse.

As for the people who say "but he practices" ... well, they'll get what that attitude earns you.

Raz-o you're right, I should have clarified. I mean folks that have been in the sport a while and protect their A or B card so they can rob a prize table. Folks that are so competitive that they keep shrinking the pond to fit.

I am the first one to tell a new shooter to ignore a GM's times or splits, but will also be quick to advise they watch how things are cut up, how little hesitation there is and how efficiently they move.

I have told this story a couple of times on here, but it seems to fit here as well.

I was sitting at 84.795 or some crap like that and had been practicing. It was the first time the sand bag bug had whispered in my ear. I was finishing with the local M classers and started to think about shooting the "season" of FL Open, State, Area6, etc as an A and rake in the loot. Never dig 'bag a classifier, but I knew there was one coming up, and the option occurred.

I asked a buddy about it and he put a stop to it quick.

Don't be a pu$$y. If you can get an M card, get your lazy ass up there and do it. I'd rather be last M than 1st A anyday. Sandbagging is ruining our prize tables and our sport. Don't ever worry about how you did in class again, you're there to win the match overall, reguardless of what letter they stick next to your name.

So, I got off my ass and got the M next match.

DP,

I don't know who said that, but whoever it is is a very wise person...and puts things in a way I can understand. ;)

After I read this there was a quote that came to mind. I think it's from Nietzsche. "The higher we soar, the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly."

I mean folks that have been in the sport a while and protect their A or B card so they can rob a prize table. Folks that are so competitive that they keep shrinking the pond to fit.

To me that's not being competitive, that's being a bad sportsman.

I agree in everything else.

DP,

I can't help but think that holding back would have a negative affect at the subconscious level. I think keeping that internal playing field clean and unobstructed is the only way to play this game. Even if you hadn't of confided with your wise friend you would not have followed your misguided vainity. You've been down the path of personal gowth and development that the higher classifications require just to get there, let alone excel. The most amazing thing about meeting Jerry Barnhart this past June was his unrelenting drive. It's contagious and you caught it.

Ian Wicke

Yeah, it is. Wow another guy from the Burner class. Did your pic make it in Front Site? I have definately caught the bug, and am trying to work through the myriad of things we talked about up there. Like I said in the article, "count me as a new fan".

Fireant, you must be talking about Jim Tice. It wasn't Tice who said that, but it was a guy who is a lot like him, Brett Harris in Orlando. He's sort of like Tice crossed with Dennis Miller.

I used to shoot St. Aug once in a while. Say hello to those guys for me, especially David Williams if he's back in the sport. Hell my old roomate Jeff Stoffan may be shooting up there now, he's a cop in Ormond, about an hour South.

eek./ he shoots 500 rounds a week?? anybody can be good if they shoot that much...

thats another one i dont like

you can shoot all day and not learn a F-in thing..

listen, or even outright ask the GMs and M class shooters and youll learn quite a bit.

I get sick of people who sit on the couch all day eating chips and twinkies then complain that moving 15 feet is an athletic event. Practice includes working out? My O my what a concept?

Is it cheating to work out and drop a few pounds to be quicker, so you can follow that advice move fast and shoot slow? Also helps as you can sprint then put on the brakes and not run into walls ;) ?

Eric I don't even want to admit what my new classification will be at the Open :( . However remember how I always pick someone to beat? My goals just went way up.

I made my best gains in just a couple of practices and matches with you doing some coaching, looking forward to some constructive criticism in a couple of weeks. Shooting open has improved my limited shooting also, feels like its slow motion.

One good thing about the Open, the prizes are based on overall finish.

We need to work on getting some classifiers with MOVEMENT, something that reflects a real match.

Matt,

you make bunch of good points, my favorite is that we need new classifiers.

I'll be home looking to practice this Saturday. They closed our range, and the crappy bullets I can get here were tumbling, so I haven't practiced in....too long. <_<

looking for more load data too...