Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Give Credit where Credit is Due

Just thought I would pass along a positive experience with a part replacement on my 650. A while back I had a complaint about having to pay to ship parts back to Dillon before they would replace them. http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=200149

This past Tuesday I pulled the cover off of my 650 and noticed the indexer return spring laying on the bench beside the loader. Sure enough when I pulled the handle the auto indexing didn't work. I noticed the plastic pin on the ring indexer had broken off. So I looked up the part number and gave Dillon a call. Was on hold for a good little bit, I think I was 14th in line. So while I was waiting I put my phone on speaker and started tearing the press apart. Shortly after getting the broken part off they answered the phone. Within just a minute or two I was told a new part would be on its way, this was 4:00 eastern time. I was surprised when I got the mail Thursday afternoon that the part was already here, can't beat that for timing and this repair didn't cost me anything!

I did notice the old ring indexer was a gray plastic and this one is more of a tan color plastic, hopefully it is a more durable part.

This is what I'm talking about... What color is yours?

187C1941-B56B-42C4-88C0-D094AE9A781A.jpg

Edited by Cowboy1629

I got my 650 about four years ago and it game with the gray one. This year I wound up breaking the ring indexer and they sent the yellow one. I finally broke down and bought a spare parts kit and it had a yellow one in it.

PS. I am also pleased with their customer service! :bow:

Likewise. Do you have to pay for S&H, sometimes. A part i have the CC ready to purchase is covered, while one i "thought" was, cost me.

However their overall CS, timely shipping of parts and warranty IMO puts them hands above other reloading press / parts companies.

Edited by cjim

Likewise. Do you have to pay for S&H, sometimes. A part i have the CC ready to purchase is covered, while one i "thought" was, cost me.

However their overall CS, timely shipping of parts and warranty IMO puts them hands above other reloading press / parts companies.

The only time I have ever had to pay to get a part replaced was when they had to replace my shell plate and platform. See original post for link to that incident. Shipping was fast on that too once they got the defective parts.

That one plastic part is why I never bought a 650, and never will. Or, another 900SL.

I have 2 1050's and a 550.

Dillon should have upped their game on that one.

Edited by Reinz

If you decap crimped primers, they can easily stick to the end of the decapping pin and pull back. This will jam the shellplate and often breaks that plastic ring if you aren't careful.

If it's motorized, there's no clutch setting loose enough not to break that ring. You can break it hand pulled too, though usually not on the first jam.

The damage from each jam is somewhat cumulative and it always breaks in the same spot, between the ramp part and the spring holder part. All of the stress is focused right there. Dillon could probably make it 2x stronger just by putting a tiny fillet on the inside corner at that stress point without changing the material.

The worst part is that if you break this ring, you have to take your ram head completely off, and you lose all the alignment shellplate to toolhead. It's not an easy job to replace and get the ram head aligned again.

Dillon might claim it's a sacrificial part, but if that's the case, it should be able to be replaced without a major realignment job. If it's not a sacrificial part, it should be stronger.

A better solution if a sacrificial part is needed would be to make this ring out of metal, and add a weak link (or a spring!) on the pawl/cam instead. That's on the press body and very easy to get to and fix.

BTW- they've been the tan material for a few years now. I believe it's actually a different plastic. The gray ones seem like ABS and the tan ones seem like some kind of phenolic or something. The new ones seem stronger but a little more brittle.

Edited by gigs

The newest 650 I bought was in 2011 from Brian. It had the gray ring. My oldest 650 is from the early 90s, it still has its original black ring. I haven't had a problem with either. :D

Now watch, today I'll reload and I'll break one or both of them!!!