Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magneto Chronograph

dbletap_ed

I don't have one and I have not used one, but 2 guys at a precision rifle match I was at swore it was the best thing since sliced bread. One of them had one and showed it to me. Looks well made and supposed to work as good as it looked.

Doug

They work great...unless you have an AR with a compensator and a long handguard. You need enough room between the comp and the handguard to strap it on. As long as you have the barrel real estate, I think it is as good as it gets (until somebody mass markets a Doppler radar chrono!).

I have one of the earlier versions and it works extremely well. Some folks that I know have one for all their precision rifle classes so the shooters can verify their muzzle velocities.

While I have not tried this, I have been told that you can strap it to a tripod and set the slide of a semi-auto pistol next to it and get a reading. Not sure if that's just BS or if it works.

I love mine, haven't tried the pistol trick but for rifles it is awesome, completely insensitive to lighting conditions, distance, and muzzle blast. The earlier versions had a few small parts that were fragile but that's been resolved and they were good about standing behind their product when I had issues. I believe it's worth every penny and I'm very happy with it. Be aware that it will affect your point of impact slightly, I usually see about 1/2 to 1 MOA shift with it on. I haven't seen any significant change in group size, they just move, usually up and to the right on my barrel which has no muzzle brake.

Yup I concur. I have a V2 and it's easy to set up and accurate. Actually last class i taught the other instructor brought out his Oehler 35 and we shot all the student's rifles over both and there was only about a 9fps difference in readings, which probably came from the Oehler screens being 15 feet away.

Only reason I am keeping my Oehler 35 is for my semi auto pistols. That's one place the V2 won't work.

• 2 weeks later...

I have V3 and couldn't be happier ! the setup/teardown features alone make this chrono well worth the $$.
Those of you questioning the accuracy of the Magneto Speed....... regardless of what chrono you've used in the past...do you clock a load only ONCE ??? Of course you don't, nobody who's really serous about numbers doesn't either. You clock a load with the Magneto Speed 2-3 times you've got a very good average of what the true numbers are.....
I love mine!

Edited by The Happy Gila

• 2 weeks later...