Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

If You're Over 35

Doggorloader

People over 35 should be dead. Here's why:

According to today's regulators and bureaucrats, those of us who were kids in the 40's, 50's, 60's, or even maybe the early 70's probably shouldn't have survived.

Our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paint.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets, ... and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets. (Not to mention the risks we took hitchhiking.)

As children, we would ride in cars with no seatbelts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a pickup truck on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle. Horrors!

We ate cupcakes, bread and butter, and drank soda pop with sugar in it, but we were never overweight because we were always outside playing.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle, and no one actually died from this.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then rode down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes.

After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the street lights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. NO CELL PHONES!!!!! U n t h i n k a b l e !

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo 64, X-Boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, video tape movies, DVD's, surround sound, personal cell phones, personal computers, or Internet chat rooms.

We had friends!

We went outside and found them.

We played dodge ball, and sometimes, the ball would really hurt.

We fell out of trees, got cut and broke bones and teeth, and there were no lawsuits from these accidents. They were accidents. No one was to blame but us. Remember accidents?

We had fights and punched each other and got black and blue and learned to get over it.

We made up games with sticks and tennis balls and ate worms, and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes, nor did the worms live inside us forever.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's home and knocked on the door, or rang the bell, or just walked in and talked to them.

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment!

Some students weren't as smart as others, so they failed a grade and were held back to repeat the same grade. Horrors!

Tests were not adjusted for any reason. Our actions were our own. Consequences were expected.

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke a law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law.

Imagine that!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers and problem solvers and inventors, ever.

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all.

Congratulations...so far...so good!

i'm 35 today and i can relate to 99% of what doggorloader said.

those damn street lights, you could hear them warming up before they were totally on. that's when you started haulin a$$ back to the house or you know what you were getting when you got home.

i couldn't tell you how many miles i put on the old bike or the amount of hours on the play ground.

however, i know i didn't do the worm thing, that's just nasty :P:lol:

ahh, the good ole days, i sure miss them. :(

Add one more.

When I was a kid, we walked through town with our .22 rifles on the way out to the woods to shoot squirrels, soda cans, or whatever.

Funny - nobody ever got shot when we did that. We always respected our firearms and what they could do . . .

Great note - great points!

J

I think these are pretty funny..

Anything with bikes really stands out. Not just no helmets, but how many people you could get on one and make it somewhere, be it school, the park..

And how far we'd go. From Chatsworth (in Los Angeles), riding to Will Rogers beach, was like 30 miles one way, over twisting Topanga Canyon, seeing how fast you could scream down those hills - amazing there's anyone left...

It's like this thread... http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=17554 - that sort of went downhill...

those damn street lights, you could hear them warming up before they were totally on. that's when you started haulin a$$ back to the house or you know what you were getting when you got home.

Loved 'em! They just extended late-night play time! :P

If nothing else, the mercury thermometers should have killed us!

You had the whole getup it looks like. Very nice pic by the way. :)

I had an occasional roll of caps and a hammer, fortunatley that wasn't very fun so I found more dnagerous ways to entertain myself.

In High School every guy (except for the weird city kids) had a shotgun and several boxes of ammo in their pickup trucks and cars in the parking lot. We would leave campus at noon and get in 45 minutes of pheasant hunting and then go back to class to finish. There was a fridge in the auto shop that we could stash our birds in until it was time to go home which involved more hunting on the way home.

We would stand around in the parking lot looking over each other's guns and if a cop came by he might stop to check out the guns but wouldn't throw us in the can.

If one of the guys didn't have a shotgun someone would come up with something for them to use.

I am still kinda amazed when I return to my home town and see Pheasants wandering around. I was pretty sure we had exterminated them.

In grade school if someone got a new rifle or shotgun for Christmas it came to school on the first day back after Christmas break (not Winter Break or Holiday Break...Christmas Break) for Show and Tell. I remember 6th grade (when most kids had turned 12...the magic year for the first real gun in S. Idaho) when the coat rack at the front of the room had to double as a long gun rack because the teachers cupboard wouldn't hold all the guns. It was IMPRESSIVE!

Yeah, most of the guns were hand-me-downs. The new ones were probably Mossberg 500s.

When the "Streaking" craze hit lots of youngsters (I think I was in 6th grade) learned what the opposite sex looked like without clothes...albiet zipping past at warp 5. On the rare event that the streakers were caught they were given a misdemeanor "public indecency" ticket and taken to their clothes and let go. Now days they would be at least level 3 sex offenders and all the children would be hauled off to therapy because of the trauma they had suffered.

I still recall that lovely young blond lass with pigtails jogging past me in the hall......:wub:

But we are safer now...yeah...right.

Those were the good ol' days. It makes me sad that my boys won't have a childhood like that.

We rode skateboards in the streets and the cars at the bottom of the hill would look up to check for out of control riders before entering the intersection. We would bandage each other up after accidents. And as long as no one had to go to the hospital, no ones parents were the wiser. If you were old enough to ride a 2 wheeler than you could also ride to the pool by yourself and spend the whole day just swimming with your friends.

Somedays I wish I were 8 again. Playing kick the can all day and flashlight tag until bedtime.

this thread is hitting a nerve
Yeah, me too. Sorry to hijack the thread. I know it started out as humor.

Growing up watching the 3 stooges after school every day. Hey doc, give the patient some anesthetic. (Moe passes over big hammer)

this thread is hitting a nerve
Yeah, me too. Sorry to hijack the thread. I know it started out as humor.

Growing up watching the 3 stooges after school every day. Hey doc, give the patient some anesthetic. (Moe passes over big hammer)

Sorry off topic mode on,

.40AET,

HAPPY BIRTHDAY

have a nice one! Enjoy.

topic mode on!

Well ya'll i'll be honest im still 20 and i don't remember much of that except playing outside with my friends but i do hope to raise my kids that way and i hope to do it somewhere away from people not sure if i'll be able to do that in this country in 10 years when i want to have kids but i'm still hoping with this call for an end to frivolous lawsuits that people will lighten up an start taking some responsibility for themselves. and for the record my friends and i would go plick cans with our rifles after school often too and no body got shot either we couldn't take em with us to school but in pa walking along a back road with a rifle at the age of 14 or 15 really isn't that uncommon of a site some of us still do have respect for our firearms its the few that don't that give everyone else a bad name