Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New K40 Magazines

Steffes

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just attempted to use a k10 mag with henning 141 basepad and Grams follower and found the same capacity issue CHA-LEE wrote about. 16 rds is tight and 17 is a no go with mag tube bulge. Old 10mm mags are the only solution.

Old style. 40 and 10mm mags are the same, well at some point they were. I had a bunch that were labeled. 40 or 10mm but were identical. Biggest problem with them is the transition from double to single stack in the tube. Had Jim Anglin tune all mine. With grams guts and either henning bp'S or Caspian Cape bp'S I could always get 20 reloadable and reliable rounds. Caspian bp's were nice to get on/off.

This was what Beven Grams told me as well. The new mags have longer transition from doublestack to singlestack and have better nose up pressure. The old mags need very specific oAL and feed lip geometry to function well.

New style mag report:

K10 with Henning base and Arredondo spring and follower: 19 rounds tight, 16 to slide in freely

K10 with Henning base and Grams spring and follower: 20 rounds tight, 18 to slide in freely

K40 with Henning pad, Grams spring and follower: 20 rounds reloadable, slides free, 1.135" max OAL

Old style chrome 40 tube (no spacer) Henning pad, Grams spring and follower: 20 rounds reloadable. In my preliminary testing it seems to feed fine with all lengths of ammo, but only time will tell...

I don't claim to be a "high speed- low drag" competitor, but the only problem I've had with bulging K-10 magazines was when ejecting a full magazine from the pistol (which didn't happen very often). Maybe the coating on the bulging mags was damaged when I inserted one, but I never noticed and they slipped into place at speed just fine.

Edited by jmbaccolyte

I literally cannot get the k10 in the gun after 18 rounds. 17 is doable. I noticed that if you cram it full to 20 and then download a few rounds it will seat at 18 but BARELY. Its like EAA is TRYING to make this hard for some reason.

I shot the gun today with reloads at 1.180 oal and it functioned flawlesly with the k10 mag, but 17 rounds is the maximum capacity with henning 141 extensions and grams full size tanfo 11 coil kits. I contacted CHA-LEE about old mag tubes and he has a significant amount of them in his possession. I asked him for 5 tubes and he said he still has in the neighborhood of 20 left if anyone needs some. He was very gracious to help me and I am expecting them to arrive tomorrow and I hope to shoot them by the weekend to determine if they will function properly. CHA-LEE and Beven Grams have set me straight on what to expect and how to tune the mags for reliability.

Just found out that Henning pads (new) do not fit the old style mag tubes. The radius on the front corners is too gradual on the pad and requires significant fitting to make the mag tube slide far enough in to allow the spring loaded retainer pin to engage the back spine of the mag tube. This better be worth it :)

Haha now that you mention it, yes pretty much. That and I have a large stock of fast pistol powder and 200gr bullets I would like to be able to use in this application. I used a sharp knife to whittle out the radius in the basepads. Now they accommodate both mag tube types. You can't tell from outside the mag that anything has been modified.

Clays at major PF.

I loves me some CLAYS :wub:

Unfortunately I have less than a pound left though :angry2: so when I get around to it I'm going to work up a load with Titegroup (11# is probably a lifetime supply at the rate I shoot anything but Open :devil: ).

Edited by kneelingatlas

I just ran 5 mags loaded to 20 rds each through the gun and had one malfunction where the fresh round actually got stuck pointing upward against the barrel hood. It happened with 2 rds remaining in the magazine. I measured the feedlips on all the mags and they range from .395 to .405 in width depending on mag and where I measured. I was told the ideal measurement would be .385 to .390. Would a round sneaking up through the feedlips cause a failure of this nature? What is the most common method for adjusting feed lip dimensions? Good news is the mags were all 20 rd reloadable with brand new springs!

New style mag report:

...K10 with Henning base and Grams spring and follower: 20 rounds tight, 18 to slide in freely...

I literally cannot get the k10 in the gun after 18 rounds. 17 is doable...

That's a lot of difference; I mean one's getting 17 and the other is getting 20 with the same mag and gun. Just seems odd.

Atlas- I'm low on Clays also, I hope this powder shortage gets better soon. No TG, but I've got WST for backup (although not nearly as much as some fortunate ones). If anyone is feeling philantropic, please send Clays.

Edited by jmbaccolyte

Steffes- I believe the "...most common method for adjusting feed lip dimensions..." is transporting the magazines to a gunsmith with a good reputation and asking him humbly to fix it please. Perhaps the more talented do it yourselfers can offer a cheaper and still a good way. I love hanging out with a great smith and asking him questions, but it can get pricey.

Edited by jmbaccolyte

I tweaked them with a smooth jawed needle nose pliers. Set them to 0.385 but that seems a tad nosedive friendly so I left the rear at .385 and opened up the front / middle to around .390. That allows the top round to align with the feed lips but not give the feeling its going to pop out of the mag. Shooting a match today so we will see how they function. I also filed the front edge of the mag into a ramp so the bullet nose or case mouth can't hang up on the sharp transition. They worked in testing so wish me luck!

I shot 240 rds through the gun and ended up having 1 malfunction. A nosedive on the 2nd round fired from 20+1 reload. The case mouth was stuck on the front lip of the magazine and a light tap jarred it loose and into battery. More rounding and polishing and we should be perfectly reliable at 20 reloadable.

If you are running the old style 10mm mags you need to use an EGW U-Die in a GRX push through single stage press setup to fully undersize the brass from top to bottom. When you do this the brass is squeezed down to a .415 diameter. An OAL of 1.225 is needed to fend off the nose dive issues. Then keeping the width of the mag feed lips at .385 will keep the rounds from going too high and jamming into the top edge of the chamber.

I used this ammo and magazine configuration to produce flawless feeding for many thousands of rounds. You have to keep on top of the feed lip width as it will get spread out when you drop the mags during reloads.

I hope this helps. Good luck and be safe.