Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Adjustable Rear Sight for STI Trojan

Prov1x

I broke my rear sight, actually the cross pin broke, and I had to ping it in place to keep it from coming out. Well now it is coming out anyways, in two pieces, and I just want to replace the whole rear sight.

What rear sight should I use to replace it, who makes the sturdiest one that is least likely to break etc....or should I just replace it with another STI Adjustable Rear?

Thanks.

I broke my rear sight, actually the cross pin broke, and I had to ping it in place to keep it from coming out. Well now it is coming out anyways, in two pieces, and I just want to replace the whole rear sight.

What rear sight should I use to replace it, who makes the sturdiest one that is least likely to break etc....or should I just replace it with another STI Adjustable Rear?

Thanks.

The STI sight is a good one (looks like a Bomar?) but the cross pins are prone to breakage. They are not real hard to replace and STI sent me two of them when mine broke some years back.... the problem is the steel of the pin is very hard but also pretty brittle. Not sure why they use such a brittle pin (?) but see a lot of posts where they fracture in the center where the groove is machined and then separate into two pieces.

I ended up getting a bright steel finish nail of the right diameter and then machining the center groove to accept the internal spring and using that. It will never fracture because the steel is a lot tougher.

Edited by bountyhunter

I've either had horrible luck or I am too hard on my guns. I've broken a Bomar, the STI and the Dawson sights, one of them multiple times.

You could get the SV, you don't hear about those breaking much. My last one I bought is a Kensight, and I like it. It seems well made and was inexpensive through Brownells. I'll be ordering a few more.

Edited by MikeRush