Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shaving Lead Bullets? Bayous...

Magsz

Heya guys,

Ive got a quick question. I just picked up some 147 grain bayou flatpoints and it appears as though they're being shaved when they're loaded.

I have a Redding 9mm Competition die that hasnt given me any issues with 15000 135 grain RNFP extremes. I have barely any crimp on the round from the final crimping station, ie just enough to not allow setback. The outer diameter of the casing measures .378-.379.

Could it be that i dont have enough bell on the case?

O9YPyb.jpg

your final die, that is seating the bullet.

top of die will un screw.

remove middle section and flip

Hrm, the Redding Comp die doesnt have a middle section, at least if my memory serves me correctly, i dont think it does. I will see if i can google some pictures as i am simple minded. I appreciate the help!

I COULD NOT seat the 147s without shaving them. I tried everything. I tried the 135s and never looked back.

Bayous with a Redding Comp Die?

There was another thread on here that said that the Redding Die wouldnt work with 147's but once he went back to the Dillon all was well in the world.

Edited by Magsz

Yes, the 147 grain bayous. I was using the standard Dillon dies though. I messed with the bell, using one head stamp of brass, and I never could get it to work. I may get 9 in a row that would seat without shaving, but then the tenth would shave. One thing I've heard worked is to use the DAA expander instead of the Dillon expander. It's normally used with the Mr. Bullet feeder, and takes the place of your expander in the powder die.

Edited by johnsons1480

http://www.doublealpha.biz/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=powder+funnel

This is what you want. It will create more of a pocket than a flare and the bullet will sit upright and not canted/leaning over. When they are canted they rotate and shave the coating when going into the seating die. This powder funnel will solve your problem.

Magsz

I had this problem, it's a two step cure, give it a little more bell in the powder stage and use the Dillon seating die. As soon as I did these two things it was all fine. It took a lot of phone calls to get it sorted out.

The comp seating die is awesome, but apparently it has a feature that straightens the brass case too early for the coated bullets

I use the Redding Competition seating die and load a lot of Bayou 147's and dont have any problems. thinking its more a matter of the correct bell on the powder/expander die.

YMMV

Do do you use the Double Alpha expander/bell/funnel thingymajigger or the stock, factory Dillon piece?

Magsz

I had this problem, it's a two step cure, give it a little more bell in the powder stage and use the Dillon seating die. As soon as I did these two things it was all fine. It took a lot of phone calls to get it sorted out.

The comp seating die is awesome, but apparently it has a feature that straightens the brass case too early for the coated bullets

I had this exact same issue with BBI 125's and this is what eventually solved it. I could never find the right bell for the Redding Die but the Dillon Die works like a champ.

I added a little more bell, went back to the standard dillon die and i had no issues.

When i added more bell with the Redding comp die, i still had issues with the rounds being shaved so i said screw it and went back to the OEM bullet seating die.

As an aside, prior to changing everything around, my belled cases measured .356. It makes sense that a .356 diameter lead round would get shaved by something that was the same size. Still, increasing the bell did NOT fix the issue for whatever reason.