Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pitting in new M&P Pro Chamber

ToneSurfer

Instead of listening to that little voice telling me no, I went and got a 2nd M&P Pistol. An M&P Pro 9mm, to go alongside my fullsize 9mm.

Here's what the chamber looks like after about 1500 rounds.

First photo is 3 weeks ago when I first noticed it (1000 round mark). Second photo is about 3 weeks later (about 1500 rounds).

Wonder how many others are floating about with a crappy heat treat?

image2.jpeg

IMG_0736.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Got my pistol back today from S&W. "Replaced the barrel" was the comments on the repair order.

I'll just leave these before and after photo's here. They speak far better than I can safely do regarding S&W commitments to quality and customer service.

Chamber2001.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I contacted them for round 2. They replaced the barrel...with another crappy barrel. The 2nd one had a gouge taken out of one of the rifling lands. 3rd round trip was necessary to finally get a barrel without any flaws in it. I shot it on Monday and again yesterday. Accuracy is good, 3x5 index cards at 20 yards, freestyle is good enough for me. Really sucked, having taken over 2 months to get a problem fixed. I don't understand why S&W doesn't just send out a new barrel. It's not like they are fitting the new ones, its a drop-in job.

I contacted them for round 2. They replaced the barrel...with another crappy barrel. The 2nd one had a gouge taken out of one of the rifling lands. 3rd round trip was necessary to finally get a barrel without any flaws in it. I shot it on Monday and again yesterday. Accuracy is good, 3x5 index cards at 20 yards, freestyle is good enough for me. Really sucked, having taken over 2 months to get a problem fixed. I don't understand why S&W doesn't just send out a new barrel. It's not like they are fitting the new ones, its a drop-in job.

Glad the issue is resolved now. I feel you on the S&W customer service. Maybe Glocks are popular for a reason :)

• 3 months later...

Glad the issue is resolved now. I feel you on the S&W customer service. Maybe Glocks are popular for a reason :)

working at a dealer i have seen the same thing from glock

Well that reason is definitely not customer service. I had a Vicker's Glock 19 that was stovepiping and giving me brass to the face even after a new extractor, "updated" ejector, and different magazines. Glock had zero interest in fixing it, but suggested that I could pay to ship it to them if I really wanted to. S&W should have fixed your crap barrel with a new one immediately though, what they did is unacceptable.

• 3 weeks later...

Wtf is up with manufacturer's anymore. Seems to be a policy like insurance companies to put up so many roadblocks to getting what a person deserves that most will just give up and either sell/stop using the product or just live with the defect. S&W is supposed to have great service? This speaks volumes about management of the service department and how they are cutting budgets. Odd since this is a premium gun from a premium brand that you should need three attempts to fix a simple issue.