Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tac Irons AR upper build - questions

charliedelta

I am thinking about building a new AR upper strictly for Tac Irons division. I cannot use a dot (eyesight / astigmatism / fuzzy dot) so old school iron sights are what I will be using. It will be a rifle length gas system. I really like the idea of a long free float forearm (like Samson's Evolution) had having the front sight all the way out on the end. My fear is that the slight movement of the floating forearm will cause accuracy to suffer - and I DO NOT want that.

Does anyone make a low profile gas block / forearm combo that secure to one another? Securing the forearm to the gas block should eliminate movement. Is there a reason why you shouldn't do this that I am not aware of? (other than defeating the purpose of a free floating forearm)

All the hardcore irons guys run a front sight clamped on the barrel just behind the muzzle brake to get the longest sight radius possible. It happens to negate your shifting handguard worries as well and keeps the barrel free floated for extra karma points. Kurtm knows a thing or two about the subject, I'm sure he'll chime in soon.

Edited by TonytheTiger

398374342.jpg

395099702.jpg

This is a JP A2 FSB clamped right behind the comp. 20" barrel, 15" Samson Evo handguard. With this kind of sight radius, it's pretty easy to shoot well if the trigger finger cooperates.

Edited by Bryan 45

I am probably a little faster w/ a dot on close stuff, but that's because in the last couple years I have more time using a dot than I have with irons. Sight acquisition is not much different, but I think it's a little easier calling the second shot on close paper w/ an illuminated reticle.

I have a .050 square front sight post. (I don't remember who made it, but I believe I got it from Brownells.) Another really nice option is the .035 KNS stepped front sight.

The rear on my rifle is a DPMS. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/873271/dpms-detachable-rear-sight-ar-15-flat-top-matte?cm_vc=ProductFinding Kurt or Trapr one recommended this sight years ago and I've never seen a reason to change.

I don't shoot irons like a lot of guys recommend. I zero at 200, re-index the rear sight to 4 clicks (I think it is) below 300, then I generally shoot a stage w/ the sight at this setting, so that I don't have to hold so far under targets out to 250. Over 250, I will add elevation as necessary w/ the rear sight. The anal-retentive in me likes to hold my intended POI, rather than low or high. It's not as fast, but a hit is still faster than taking a miss.

Brian Vaught uses the .035 KNS FS with a Rock River Dominator rear sight- which is a little nicer machined rear sight. It's proven to be a very accurate combination for him.

398374342.jpg

395099702.jpg

This is a JP A2 FSB clamped right behind the comp. 20" barrel, 15" Samson Evo handguard. With this kind of sight radius, it's pretty easy to shoot well if the trigger finger cooperates.

This is really the set up. A quality rear sight and whatever front sight you like, clamped to the barrel. I am just as fast up close as with a dot. where I slow down a little is on those 25 to 50yd head shots and popping clay oreos at say 35 yds.

Well I don't know nothing bout shooting no irons, but to answer one of your questions. If you solidly attach the fore end to your gas block your rifle will sting vertically to the tune of 4-8" as it heats. I wouldn't do that if I were you, but it might be fun to try to see if your numbers match mine! :)

For rear, its pretty universal, A2 dual aperture type.

yep, front on the barrel all the way out.

as for what type, its up to you. I use a globe like PK, if you want a post, use what Bryan showed you.

then go practice... :)

jj

BMiller, it is NOT a J.P. sight. It is a Yankee Hill flip down that I drilled and tapped so it wouldn't flip down. For a long time this was about the only clamp on sight out there, Tom Freeman was the one who found this sight. This particular rifle won a bunch of stuff for me to include the Nordic Rifle Championships, that same year (2006). John finally got tired of me "shooting an ugly rifle" and built the CTR-02 I now run, as seen below. This was well before John made the clamp on sight that is widely available today!

post-1176-0-71402900-1413229509_thumb.jp

BMiller, it is NOT a J.P. sight. It is a Yankee Hill flip down that I drilled and tapped so it wouldn't flip down. For a long time this was about the only clamp on sight out there, Tom Freeman was the one who found this sight. This particular rifle won a bunch of stuff for me to include the Nordic Rifle Championships, that same year (2006). John finally got tired of me "shooting an ugly rifle" and built the CTR-02 I now run, as seen below. This was well before John made the clamp on sight that is widely available today!

I think the old camo rifle is cool in a Boba Fett kind of way! I have an old A-2 that I am going to experiment with. It has a step that starts at the shoulder and extends back about .725 inch. The barrel is about .7 close to the muzzle and .725 dia after the step extending back to the gas block. Could I use the JP clamp on sight tower? Is there a flat or a key machined on the barrel to index the front sight, or does it just rely on clamping pressure ?

Thanks

well Mr. Miller, do you drink beer? Preferably in aluminum cans?...I don't....ahh... well not in aluminum cans too often in the shop....high end you know! ;). Last one we built...Mike Pinto and I, had this pesky step in the barrel, we went to the corner store and purchased a "sixer" of some kind of something that comes in a can. It was all drank in the interests of obtaining "shim stock". We wrapped the front "step" in aluminum strips, lovingly cut from the afore mentioned "something that comes in a can", clamped on the sight tower and it has been very solid since. Only took a full two wraps. We were able to get the sight all the way to the end! I also cut an extra slot in the upper receiver so the sight sits ALL the way to the rear.......MMMMM something that comes in a can! :);)