Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S1050 swaging .223 setup help needed

I have mixed brass that I'm wanting to run on a brass processing head. I have every station running well except for swage. I've read tons of stuff and am not getting it yet. This is my first time setting this head up. I have the Ballistic Tools primer pocket gauge.

When I've managed to get the gauge to go in the pocket, it is a bit shallow and the pocket bottom looks like it's lop sided.

Based on other threads I've read I'm adjusting it using LC brass I've separated out of mixed brass.

Any setup help appreciated.

Not being a dick, but adjust it according to the instructions in the manual. They are pretty explanatory. Once you adjust down the support arm lock it down tight. Then adjust up the swage rod. Find some crimped brass and swage them and then try to prime them. Once you get the crimped brass to prime easily then you have what you need.

DougC

The manual never discusses adjusting the swage rod.. I've got a few hours in this and no good swage, thought there might be something I'm not doing..

Looking into the case:

post-37924-141305071792_thumb.jpg

This makes me think it's pushing the case bottom down..?

post-37924-141305073596_thumb.jpg

If you're pushing the bottom of the primer pocket inward, the case is ruined.

The primer gauge doesn't have to fully engage. Remember, the crimp is only on the outer edge. Gauge a crimped case and notice that the gauge won't fit. Then adjust the swager to where the gauge will enter the case mouth. To verify, use a single stage press to push in a primer, then discard the primer.

I suggest that you get a representative case and cut a window in the bottom so you can see what is going on. As in the photo.

There is a wide amount of adjustment where the swag rod merely has to pass the crimp area.

CrimpArea.jpg

I cut my windows with a milling machine. You can use a dremel, hack saw, or a grinder.

SwagRod2.jpg

SwagRod1.jpg

Thanks benos, I worked on the photos to help others. But maybe I should have done a little bit better at explaining. I hope Datguy didn’t break his rod because of me.

Datguy,

I have been wondering how could have broken the rod, and if you cut a viewing window to set the travel.

Now in the last photo in the series, the rod is at the top of the stroke, finger tightened. It does not need to be that high. Only the tip of the rod, the worn area of the rod, needs to pass the crimp. Note that worn area is marked with a couple of lines. You could even back it off a quarter of a turn, before you lock it down.

Also the hold down die should only be tightened finger tight against the case before you lock it down.

After you get the die and rod adjusted against a cutaway case, run the cutaway in the shellplate and feel for binding. If properly adjusted on a case that has already been swaged, you should feel nothing.

If you feel binding during reloading, it is probably trying to swage a case that has had an old primer sucked back in. So it is trying to swage a case with a primer in it.

Edited by RonofVa

The replacement swage rod arrived today. I just spent an hour trying to adjust it using the instructions from Dillon:

First adjust backer rod down to case bottom, finger tight, with swage rod removed.

Then adjust swage rod up until I get a good swage. Using the Ballistic Tools go/no-go gauge, I'm not getting a good swage, ever. I adjusted it high enough that it was starting to flex the shell plate, and I know that's too high. I've wasted a ton of time on this and it still doesn't work.

Are you using the right end of the Ballistic Tools Swage Gauge?

One end is a go gauge, the other will tell you if you are over swaging.

The smaller of the 2 ends is the one that should fit in the case, not the bigger end.

Just a thought.

No cam over in the 1050.

The handle should come down easy with no pressure when set up and no brass in it.

If you feel resistance when empty. dies are touching the plate.

If you add brass and get resistance at the bottom of the stroke, the swager may be to blame.

I would set the swager lightly and test by priming a case.

Measure the heads on your Ballistic Tools Gauge as well.

Maybe you got one that is bad.

I use their stuff all the time and have never seen a bad part from them, but maybe you got one that is out of spec.

The true test is in priming.

It is definitely caming over, even with no swage backup or rod installed. No dies are touching shell plate. Starting to hate this thing. My .45 ACP head works great. I've done something wrong on both (brass processing and loading) .223 heads..

It is definitely caming over, even with no swage backup or rod installed. No dies are touching shell plate. Starting to hate this thing. My .45 ACP head works great. I've done something wrong on both (brass processing and loading) .223 heads..

One of the screws in the shell plate lock ring standing proud, will cause that "cam over" feeling, as it hits the bottom of the tool head.

How far do you guys usually adjust the rod into the pocket?

so that the tip of the rod enters? NOT DEEP ENOUGH

or so that when the rod widens, it hits the case primer pocket sides? makeing a flare

THIS!!!

Thanks, that means I had set it correct, was just wondering, thanks for confirming.

It took a while, but I figured out what's going on- I bought a shell plate bearing from Ballistic Tools. I installed it when I switched to the .223 toolhead. It raises the lock ring enough that the button head cap screws hit the bottom of the tool head - causing the cam over I was experiencing. Good to go now.

thanks ronofva,

i cant believe i never thought of this. great idea!

I suggest that you get a representative case and cut a window in the bottom so you can see what is going on. As in the photo.

There is a wide amount of adjustment where the swag rod merely has to pass the crimp area.

CrimpArea.jpg

I cut my windows with a milling machine. You can use a dremel, hack saw, or a grinder.

SwagRod2.jpg

SwagRod1.jpg

• 1 month later...

Not sure why this thread was bumped, but since it was, I did some research and it looks like everyone that's selling 1050 bearing kits has the same issue with the screw heads.

There's one guy selling them with countersunk screws, but I tried those on my press and it just shatters the plastic tabs.

The real issue is that no one seems to make a plain 10-24 screw, 3/8s deep, with a 0.050" head thickness. They are all 0.100 head thickness or more.

The weird thing is they do make such a screw in similar metric sizes.

In any case, it looks like grinding the heads down to 0.050" is still the best option if you want to run a bearing kit on a 1050.