Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lube for 223/5.56

bigarm

I want to deprime/resize some .223 brass this afternoon. Will my homemade lube (liquid lanolin and isopropal alcohol) work for resizing? I also have Dillon (which I think is the same thing basically) and One Shot. However, I have heard that One Shot is not good for rifle, but I don't know as I have never done rifle before.

I use RCBS Case Slick.

+1 for rifle.

One Shot will work but you need to be sure to get all around the case, it does not flow like Case Slick. Since I size / deprime then reclean my brass I'm quite liberal with the lube. You only need to get a case stuck once to learn not enough is far worse than to much.

I've used One Shot successfully (shake the heck out of the can first, then spray well, shake, spray, let dry, or use a loading tray to get good coverage), and RCBS or Midway lube..now I just make my own, 99%+ alcohol and lanolin, around 10-12:1 of alcohol to lanolin in a spray bottle, which AFAIK, is pretty much the same as Dillon lube, and likely others. I continue to use the One Shot on pistol, makes everything smoother, but prefer the 'wetter' lubes for rifle. YMMV as always.

I couldn't find 99% isopropal alcohol so used 91%. I think it just has a little more water so takes a little longer to dry. I love Montana, but you can't always find what you want. If I ever find the 99% I will probably make a different batch. Mine seems to work fine however.

I couldn't find 99% isopropal alcohol so used 91%. I think it just has a little more water so takes a little longer to dry. I love Montana, but you can't always find what you want. If I ever find the 99% I will probably make a different batch. Mine seems to work fine however.

Pretty sure Amazon delivers to Montana.

:goof:

It is easier to buy it from there then to search all over for it.

Only difference is the amount of water contained in it, which slows the evaporation of the alcohol. Links to Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BWYM006/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00028MLKC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There are other suppliers on Amazon, with the prime membership(son and his wife have it). They can add others on their list of people that can use it. 2 day free shipping is great.

Instead of driving all over, it isn't easy to find even in a major metro area. As is the amazing lack of reloading equipment for sale.

As with others have said shake to mix well. Since there is no emulsifier mixed in it does separate fast. I have tried heating the mix, and running it in a heated bath of the ultra sonic cleaner. Didn't really notice much difference in the length of time till it separated.

And for all your plastic needs in a wide assortment of items.

http://www.usplastic.com/default.aspx

Great selection and great service, been dealing with them for 35 years. spray bottles and sprayers in all sizes. ;)